RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GEGL in GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

23 of 23 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Friends of GNOME David Neary 19 Dec 21:46
  Friends of GNOME Sven Neumann 19 Dec 23:22
   Friends of GIMP David Neary 20 Dec 11:24
   Friends of GNOME David Neary 20 Dec 11:38
    Friends of GNOME Michael Natterer 20 Dec 14:07
    Friends of GNOME Sven Neumann 20 Dec 17:42
     GEGL in GIMP (was: Friends of GNOME) David Neary 21 Dec 15:06
      GEGL in GIMP (was: Friends of GNOME) Sven Neumann 21 Dec 16:13
       Dependency version changes (was: GEGL in GIMP) Dave Neary 22 Dec 10:10
        Dependency version changes (was: GEGL in GIMP) Sven Neumann 22 Dec 11:36
       GEGL in GIMP Dave Neary 22 Dec 10:14
        GEGL in GIMP Sven Neumann 22 Dec 11:23
         GEGL in GIMP David Neary 22 Dec 18:15
          GEGL in GIMP Sven Neumann 22 Dec 18:29
           GEGL in GIMP Dave Neary 23 Dec 09:27
            GEGL in GIMP Manish Singh 23 Dec 10:03
            GEGL in GIMP Sven Neumann 23 Dec 20:56
             GEGL in GIMP David Neary 23 Dec 22:00
          GEGL in GIMP Manish Singh 22 Dec 19:01
           GEGL in GIMP Dave Neary 23 Dec 09:35
            GEGL in GIMP Manish Singh 23 Dec 09:58
             GEGL in GIMP Dave Neary 23 Dec 10:40
  Friends of GIMP (was GNOME) David Neary 20 Dec 10:47
David Neary
2003-12-19 21:46:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Friends of GNOME

Hi all,

We are coming up to a release. I will post a detailed progress report, along with the current thinking that I have about the outstanding blockers. But this mail is about something else.

Over the years since 1.2.0, or even since 1.2 pre1 (way back in April 1999) we have seen quite a few old "heads" drift away from the GIMP, either because they've become more active on other projects, or haven't got as much free time, or simply because they got into a big row and got pissed off.

I think that 2.0 is an ideal opportunity to get some old GIMPers giving time to the project again. Some notable examples of people who have started to reappear recently, and should be welcomed with open arms, are Kelly and Jay. Some names that come easily to mind are syngin, adam, vidar, prof, bex, federico, and a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

We're not going to dramatically break things again in the way that we did at the start of the 1.3 cycle, or even when we made the change to GTK+ 2.2 and Fontconfig a few months ago. In principle, someone who has the dependencies for a 2.0 build should have everything they need to keep up with GIMP CVS through the 2.2 release.

So, I would like to put together a list of freinds of the GIMP, and get onto them and see if we can interest any of them in getting involved again. Can anyone think of names I've left off here? Several of these are certainly still on the devel list (if you are, shout). Many will probably request not to be sent any more mail. A few might help out a bit.

So can I get names and e-mail addresses of people who were hanging around a while ago that you haven't seen since, and that you thought were cool? If so, could you send me a name and an e-mail address?

What do people think of the idea of a Friends of GIMP list that gets added to the announce list when we make a release, for example?

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-19 23:22:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Friends of GNOME

Hi,

David Neary writes:

the change to GTK+ 2.2 and Fontconfig a few months ago. In principle, someone who has the dependencies for a 2.0 build should have everything they need to keep up with GIMP CVS through the 2.2 release.

We will have to depend on GTK+-2.4 pretty early if we want to make use of the new functionality it provides. Since there's a lot of very useful stuff in the 2.4 API, we should make the switch to GTK+-2.4 soon after the 2.0 release.

What do people think of the idea of a Friends of GIMP list that gets added to the announce list when we make a release, for example?

I thought that's what gimp-developer was for.

Sven

David Neary
2003-12-20 10:47:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Friends of GIMP (was GNOME)

Hi all,

Thanks to the people who pointed out my very Freudian slip above. While we are, in large part, friends of GNOME, that's not what I meant to write :)

Cheers,
Dave.

David Neary
2003-12-20 11:24:58 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Friends of GIMP

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

I thought that's what gimp-developer was for.

Personally I don't think that's what the developer list is for... The developers list is for people actively involved. I doubt S&P are on the developers list, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of older heads are no longer subscribed to the list (although I'm sure that many have stayed subscribed).

The devel list is not pro-active. It does nothing to get people into the project, which is what we need. You could call this targeted spam, if you like... and effort to actively get in contact with people who used to hang around, and don't any more. An effort to become the cool kids again :)

Recently the only way people outside our little clan have been hearing about the GIMP is through release announcements. With no disrespect intended to the site, it's not been the medium that we've used for disseminating information, and www. looks a bit old these days. mmmaybe hasn't had the news updating, most gimp people don't syndicate blogs in the way that, say GNOME developers do (I don't know how many times I've heard about cool new GNOME stuff through blog comments). So we need to make an effort in this respect.

There are 2 groups of people that we can aim for - people who once were heavy GIMPers, the people (like Xach, say) who were never developers, but did a huge amount to make a community around it, and people who have never been GIMPers, but have a lot to offer (new arrivals who have made a huge impact recently are Joao, Pedro and Roman - we need more people like them).

The Friends of GIMP is one way to target the first group - for a start, we know exactly who they are, which makes the task a lot easier. I think that if the community starts to become as vibrant as it was in the 1.1.x days, we will not have huge problems with the second group.

Cheers,
Dave.

David Neary
2003-12-20 11:38:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Friends of GNOME

Hi,

I'm replying in 2 parts, because there were 2 different issues in this mail.

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

In
principle, someone who has the dependencies for a 2.0 build should have everything they need to keep up with GIMP CVS through the 2.2 release.

We will have to depend on GTK+-2.4 pretty early if we want to make use of the new functionality it provides. Since there's a lot of very useful stuff in the 2.4 API, we should make the switch to GTK+-2.4 soon after the 2.0 release.

What functionality is in 2.4 that we could use? I don't mean to be a killjoy - we should definitely be able to build with 2.4.x, but IMHO, we shouldn't bump the version requirement unless there's a very good reason to do so.

When we asked ourselves around the conference what hurt us the most after 1.2 was released, it was the fact that the build environment got complicated, and took a considerable amount of time to set up, and also the GIMP was broken for longish periods.

It all depends on what the goal of 2.2.x is. I think it should be a stabilising release, one in which we add small amounts of functionality, get it working rock solidly, and perhaps start making changes in app/base to integrate some of gegl. We might even consider shipping gegl with the GIMP during 2.1.x to get more people building & using it (I would reccommend shipping it with the GIMP sources, rather than depending on it, if we decided to do this).

These are all smallish changes which shouldn't really impact people's build environments, It means that people who just want to build from CVS would be able to do so easily, and without having to spend time updating other stuff while doing so.

We really have to ask ourselves whether the functional additions to GTK+ 2.4 are really worth the cost we would incur in human terms in depending on the newer version. I'd like to see us stick to 2.2 unless there's something indispensable that we need in 2.4, and even then I'd like to see a case made for it before the change on the devel list, rather than have the change happen silently after some discussion on IRC. We're anticipating a certain amount of breakage after 2.2 anyway with the integration of gegl and its development, so at that point it would be more reasonable to start upping the required GTK+ version (perhaps even to 2.6.0 when we get there).

In short, I see the 2.2 series as a community building release cycle, and our best chance to get people into the project after several years in limbo. If we start depending on software that isn't commonly available yet, we risk to waste some of that opportunity.

Cheers,
Dave.

Michael Natterer
2003-12-20 14:07:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Friends of GNOME

David Neary writes:

Hi,

I'm replying in 2 parts, because there were 2 different issues in this mail.

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

In
principle, someone who has the dependencies for a 2.0 build should have everything they need to keep up with GIMP CVS through the 2.2 release.

What functionality is in 2.4 that we could use? I don't mean to be a killjoy - we should definitely be able to build with 2.4.x, but IMHO, we shouldn't bump the version requirement unless there's a very good reason to do so.

There are a couple of very good reasons:

GtkFileChooser will finally give us a sane file selection dialog. We can stop to simply reassing all these bug reports to GTK+ which complain about a file dialog from the stone age that has not been significantly changed since GTK+ 1.0.

GtkAction based menus will enable us to centralize GUI callback functioality in fewer places which is an absulute prerequisite for macro recording.

GtkComboBox will enable us to get rid of GtkOptionMenu and GtkCombo in both the app and plug-ins.

GTK+ 2.4 will be binary compatible to GTK+ 2.2, so 2.2 will become unmaintained just as 2.0 is.

When we asked ourselves around the conference what hurt us the most after 1.2 was released, it was the fact that the build environment got complicated, and took a considerable amount of time to set up,

Would you tell me what would have been the alternatives? Stay with GTK+ 1.2 and postpone proper core/GUI separation for half a year? The GIMP's core is in its current shape because we switched to a sane object system early. As the recent addition of a "floating" state to GimpItem has shown we still suffer from this drastic change, and we would be not were we are today if we did this later.

The change from 2.2 to 2.4 will be totally different. It does not break anything, it only improves things. It's just a matter of installing these new libs (which will be available *long* before we will even think about releasing GIMP 2.2).

and also the GIMP was broken for longish periods.

The switch to GTK+ 1.3 didn't break the GIMP. It was broken for a long time for totally different reasons.

It all depends on what the goal of 2.2.x is. I think it should be a stabilising release, one in which we add small amounts of functionality, get it working rock solidly, and perhaps start making changes in app/base to integrate some of gegl.

Yes, the goal is stabilizing, streamlining, making small feature additions and, most important, always keeping it stable.

This of course also applies to the GUI. We can get a *lot* of user visible usability improvements by simply depending on a binary compatible GTK+ 2.4 and using the new stuff mentioned above.

Starting to integrate GEGL functionality is a much worse change (stability wise) and I would rather question this decision that the switch to GTK+ 2.4 (I'm still all for starting to use GEGL, don't get me wrong).

We might
even consider shipping gegl with the GIMP during 2.1.x to get more people building & using it (I would reccommend shipping it with the GIMP sources, rather than depending on it, if we decided to do this).

I'm absolutely against this. GEGL is a separate project we depend on and it makes no sense to include it in our sources. People *are* able to simply install it.

These are all smallish changes which shouldn't really impact people's build environments, It means that people who just want to build from CVS would be able to do so easily, and without having to spend time updating other stuff while doing so.

I consider neither the use of GEGL nor the switch to GTK+ 2.4 a "smallish change", but both changes are IMHO needed if we don't want to create a huge pile of postponed TODO items we would *have* to address after 2.2 if we are not able to do them after 2.0.

Keeping the build environment stable is a reasonable goal, but it definitely has to step back after the functionality changes and enhancments we want to acheive for 2.2.

The change from GTK+ 2.2 to 2.4 will be *far from* as drastic as the change from 1.2 to 2.0. In fact it will be hardly noticable except from installing a new GTK+ version.

We really have to ask ourselves whether the functional additions to GTK+ 2.4 are really worth the cost we would incur in human terms in depending on the newer version.

We always tell people: "Wait until GTK+ fixed that". Now GTK+ has fixed a lot of longstanding uglyness and we should use the fixed stuff or functioality additions will be mostly limited to the core.

Apart from that, we outlined these goals at GimpCon and one of the most prominent goals we all agreed on was depending on GTK+ 2.4 soon and make use of its features. I see no point questioning this because of questionable fears about the build system's stability.

I'd like to see us stick
to 2.2 unless there's something indispensable that we need in 2.4, and even then I'd like to see a case made for it before the change on the devel list, rather than have the change happen silently after some discussion on IRC. We're anticipating a certain amount of breakage after 2.2 anyway with the integration of gegl and its development, so at that point it would be more reasonable to start upping the required GTK+ version (perhaps even to 2.6.0 when we get there).

You propose to actually skip one development cycle of GTK+ and directly jump to GTK+ 2.6? That's insane and implies exactly that pile of postponed TODO items i mentioned above. Making our live harder in the future for the profit of a marginally easier-to-install build environment is IMHO not very wise.

Please note that we agreed to depend on GEGL early for exactly that reason: making the migration to a really GEGL based GIMP smoother and less error prone. We *can* depend on GEGL and start to use its features without badly breaking anything, just as we can do this for GTK+

In short, I see the 2.2 series as a community building release cycle, and our best chance to get people into the project after several years in limbo. If we start depending on software that isn't commonly available yet, we risk to waste some of that opportunity.

Who says we start to depend on software that's not completely available yet? That's FUD. Nobody said we should depend on GTK+ 2.4 the day after the 2.0 release.

Easy life for developers can IMHO never outweight numerous very user visible improvements that can be easily done for the price of installing some libs that are even binary compatible and don't break anything.

ciao, --mitch

Sven Neumann
2003-12-20 17:42:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Friends of GNOME

Hi,

David Neary writes:

There are very good reasons. We already prepared the tree to use the new file chooser and everyone is looking forward to revamp the menu system based on GtkAction. These are very important changes that should go into the GIMP CVS tree as early as possible.

We really have to ask ourselves whether the functional additions to GTK+ 2.4 are really worth the cost we would incur in human terms in depending on the newer version. I'd like to see us stick to 2.2 unless there's something indispensable that we need in 2.4, and even then I'd like to see a case made for it before the change on the devel list, rather than have the change happen silently after some discussion on IRC. We're anticipating a certain amount of breakage after 2.2 anyway with the integration of gegl and its development, so at that point it would be more reasonable to start upping the required GTK+ version (perhaps even to 2.6.0 when we get there).

IMO it is a lot more important to get the mentioned GTK+ changes than to start to integrate GEGL.

I don't follow you on this argumentation. Especially not since GTK+-2.4 will probably be released around the time we release GIMP-2.0. Depending on it is a must and I don't believe it will make us loose a single seriously intersted developer.

Sven

David Neary
2003-12-21 15:06:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP (was: Friends of GNOME)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

IMHO, we shouldn't bump the version requirement unless there's a very good reason to do so.

There are very good reasons. We already prepared the tree to use the new file chooser and everyone is looking forward to revamp the menu system based on GtkAction. These are very important changes that should go into the GIMP CVS tree as early as possible.

I think that we could perhaps do the version bump in an organised way this time, at least? Perhaps have a 2.1.0 with a couple of weeks work (basically, the stuff which is waiting to be committed more or less now, but can't go into a 2.0 branch), and announce that it is the last release that will use gtk+ 2.2? Or even have a few releases, and do the version bump in (say) early March? You say "as early as possible" - I would argue that it's not realistic to bump versions until people have had a while to brace themselves.

We're anticipating a
certain amount of breakage after 2.2 anyway with the integration of gegl and its development, so at that point it would be more reasonable to start upping the required GTK+ version (perhaps even to 2.6.0 when we get there).

IMO it is a lot more important to get the mentioned GTK+ changes than to start to integrate GEGL.

I guess I should clear up what I mean by "ship with gegl" here. I haven't talked in depth with people about this yet (neither the gegl developers or gimp people), but I'd like to see something like what Subversion does with Neon. They realise that Neon is not a commonly available package, so in their tarballs they package the last released Neon version - their build scripts detect if it's present (or you can specify a directory where you already have an installation), and build it for you, or use the existing build.

It seems obvious to me that gegl will need to start making a plan, and making milestone releases, soon if we want it to be usable for the end of the Summer. That mean that it needs to be used and built, and all the rest.

What I would propose is that the GIMP CVS module have an app/gegl directory which is linked to the gegl module, so that doing a cvs co of the GIMP would also check out gegl. We wouldn't actually be using any of the functionality in there, just building it. And in tarballs, we would release a snapshot of gegl along with the GIMP. It wouldn't gain us anything in the 2.2 release, perhaps, but I think it mlight be enormously beneficial to gegl. It would also allow some gimp developers to get more familiar with what gegl is, and what it can do, and so on. And why not start migrating some app/base code to app/gegl, and making some trivial use of gegl for 2.2, as mitch suggested some time ago?

This is not something which would cost a huge amount to the GIMP. Like I say, I'm not talking about throwing out base and replacing it with gegl now, but I think that it'll benefit both projects if we start including the gegl sources in our tarballs with the 2.1 series.

If we start depending on software that isn't commonly available yet, we risk to waste some of that opportunity.

I don't follow you on this argumentation. Especially not since GTK+-2.4 will probably be released around the time we release GIMP-2.0. Depending on it is a must and I don't believe it will make us loose a single seriously intersted developer.

It's not the seriously interested developers I'm worried about, but the casual ones who might eventually become serious developers, if we don't piss them off or make it hard for them to follow the GIMP development cycle. We need more people building from CVS than we had in 1.3.x, and we're not going to have that if we depend on bleeding-edge build tools or libraries.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-21 16:13:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP (was: Friends of GNOME)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

I think that we could perhaps do the version bump in an organised way this time, at least?

What are you trying to say here? I don't remember any unorganized version bumps.

Perhaps have a 2.1.0 with a couple of weeks work (basically, the stuff which is waiting to be committed more or less now, but can't go into a 2.0 branch), and announce that it is the last release that will use gtk+ 2.2? Or even have a few releases, and do the version bump in (say) early March? You say "as early as possible" - I would argue that it's not realistic to bump versions until people have had a while to brace themselves.

We should wait for the gtk+-2.4 release and then wait another week or two to give distributors a chance to prepare packages. The rule of thumb in the past has been to wait for the package to appear in debian testing which is a rather conservative distrubtion.

What I would propose is that the GIMP CVS module have an app/gegl directory which is linked to the gegl module, so that doing a cvs co of the GIMP would also check out gegl.

This is insane. CVS modules cause nothing but trouble. If you want to use GEGL, then depend on it. If you are afraid of this dependency, don't do it then.

It's not the seriously interested developers I'm worried about, but the casual ones who might eventually become serious developers, if we don't piss them off or make it hard for them to follow the GIMP development cycle. We need more people building from CVS than we had in 1.3.x, and we're not going to have that if we depend on bleeding-edge build tools or libraries.

Nooone said we want to do that. What are you talking about? We talk about depending on GTK+-2.4 which will be the latest stable release of the GIMP toolkit at the time we start to use it. You don't want us to ignore the features it offers and use an unmaintained version instead, do you?

Sven

Dave Neary
2003-12-22 10:10:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Dependency version changes (was: GEGL in GIMP)

Hi,

This has split into 2 different issues again, replying twice with appropriate subjects.

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

I think that we could perhaps do the version bump in an organised way this time, at least?

What are you trying to say here? I don't remember any unorganized version bumps.

In the past, I recall there being problems with the trasition from GTK+ 1.2 to 1.3, Ipersonally heard about the version bump from GTK+ 2.0 to 2.2 when the build failed, idem for the fontconfig requirement, idem for the version bumps in automake during the release cycle.

By "in an organised way", I mean simply that we make a decent effort before changing build requirements to let people know that they're going to be changed, when, why, and what they need to do to keep a working GIMP CVS build environment. This is not the trivial problem you're making it out to be.

We should wait for the gtk+-2.4 release and then wait another week or two to give distributors a chance to prepare packages. The rule of thumb in the past has been to wait for the package to appear in debian testing which is a rather conservative distrubtion.

I think that we should definitely have a release from CVS before changing (at least a week before changing) and have something in the release notes saying that the GTK+ version will bump in the next release. And pair this up with a mail to gimp-developer saying when the change will happen, and how to keep things working.

The bump from gtk+ 2.0 to 2.2, for example, was not just a simple version bump, because there were about half a dozen other packages that needed to have recent versions installed. It would have been nice to have a small list, and a couple of days notice that things were going to change.

> No-one said we want to do that. What are you talking about? We talk > about depending on GTK+-2.4 which will be the latest stable release of > the GIMP toolkit at the time we start to use it. You don't want us to > ignore the features it offers and use an unmaintained version instead, > do you?

No-one who is not a GNOME developer will have GTK+ 2.4.0 installed on their machine. The first time people will have this software installed is the early-adopters of GNOME 2.6.0 in April and May. So I don't mind being on GTK+ 2.4 at that stage. I don't even mind being on it earlier, as long as we don't assume that people will just have it installed. That means putting some work into letting people know how to migrate their build stuff (see above).

At the heart of this issue is whether we want to make it easy for people to build the GIMP. I think we do. Depending on software that they haven't installed yet makes it a bit harder. Breaking build environments by changing dependencies without giving people adequate warning does too. I want to avoid things that make it harder for casual people to keep up to date with CVS GIMP. And that's all.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave Neary
2003-12-22 10:14:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Hi again,

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

What I would propose is that the GIMP CVS module have an app/gegl directory which is linked to the gegl module, so that doing a cvs co of the GIMP would also check out gegl.

This is insane. CVS modules cause nothing but trouble. If you want to use GEGL, then depend on it. If you are afraid of this dependency, don't do it then.

I really didn't expect this to be so controversial. GTK+ was developped as part of the GIMP until it reached a certain state of maturity, I'm not suggesting that we absorb the goat, just that we include it in our tarball (again, to make the GIMP easier to build - which comes back to the other mail).

Other people do this, so perhaps it's not as obviously insane as you're making out. There is no fear of the dependency... but until gegl is in a state where it's mature enough to make standalone releases, then it's more or less exclusively a GIMP project. Why not help it along?

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-22 11:23:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Other people do this, so perhaps it's not as obviously insane as you're making out. There is no fear of the dependency... but until gegl is in a state where it's mature enough to make standalone releases, then it's more or less exclusively a GIMP project. Why not help it along?

Because I believe that it will hurt the project to become part of the GIMP tarballs. It will be much more helpful if we help to create standalone GEGL releases early. This will raise interest in GEGL and it will make packages appear for all distributions.

Moving it into the GIMP tarball is like moving GTK+ back into the GIMP tree just because we need some functionality out of the HEAD branch. GEGL is a separate project and it is IMO very important that it doesn't become too GIMP-centric. Having it included in the GIMP tarball will make it appear as part of The GIMP which it isn't supposed to be. What you suggest basically has only disadvantages. Let alone the fact that it will be a nightmare to maintain.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-12-22 11:36:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Dependency version changes (was: GEGL in GIMP)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

By "in an organised way", I mean simply that we make a decent effort before changing build requirements to let people know that they're going to be changed, when, why, and what they need to do to keep a working GIMP CVS build environment. This is not the trivial problem you're making it out to be.

Sure, we can send mail to the list and I am pretty sure we did this in the past also. Perhaps we forgot in or two occasions (probably when we started to depend on automake-1.6 two years after it had been released). But we should not stall the GIMP development by introducing a policy that forces us to wait before we can do such a change. In the past all dependency changes have been necessary. There has always been the urgent need to do it in order to fix a severe problem. Do you really want us to introduce a week or two delay thus halting development until a dependency change can be made? What benefit would that give?

No-one said we want to do that. What are you talking about? We

> talk about depending on GTK+-2.4 which will be the latest stable > release of the GIMP toolkit at the time we start to use it. You > don't want us to ignore the features it offers and use an > unmaintained version instead, do you?

No-one who is not a GNOME developer will have GTK+ 2.4.0 installed on their machine. The first time people will have this software installed is the early-adopters of GNOME 2.6.0 in April and May.

GTK+ is the GIMP toolkit. I think it is completely reasonable to expect GIMP developers to have the latest stable released version of the GIMP toolkit installed. Actually I even expect GIMP developers to play with the GTK+ prereleases since that's the only way we can make sure that the GIMP toolkit works the way we need it to work. Right now for example it is important to check the 2.4 API because very soon there will be no chance to have things changed if they turn out to break The GIMP or don't suit our needs. If we would follow your suggestions we'd let the GNOME developers dictate how GTK+ evolves and I think that we should also play an important role here. I seriously believe that it is very important both for GTK+ and for The GIMP to follow GTK+ development closely and to adopt to their changes as early as possible.

At the heart of this issue is whether we want to make it easy for people to build the GIMP. I think we do.

Yes we do, but I think an easy build shouldn't be first priority. That's something that should be kept in mind and it's nice if we can make it happen. But often we will simply have to make people update their software.

Sven

David Neary
2003-12-22 18:15:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Because I believe that it will hurt the project to become part of the GIMP tarballs. It will be much more helpful if we help to create standalone GEGL releases early. This will raise interest in GEGL and it will make packages appear for all distributions.

Since neither of us are currently involved in gegl development, I was hoping that we might get some opinions from the people who are. But given that the conversation has started as a sort of argument, I'm not sure whether anyone else will get involved now. I hope so.

Moving it into the GIMP tarball is like moving GTK+ back into the GIMP tree just because we need some functionality out of the HEAD branch.

Not at all. GTK+ lived in the GIMP source tree until it was capable of being a standalone project. Afterwards, its main developers were gimp developers. Unfortunately, several of them followed the path which GTK+ has become to go on to be core GNOME developers and no longer work on the GIMP.

The point is that as it is, gegl is not a standalone project. It doesn't seem to me like it is mature enough that if the GIMP went under (say a few more people quit), gegl would not go on to be a standalone graphics library in the way that gtk+ went on to be a standalone toolkit. During the incubation of the project, it needs attention from us in the same way as gtk+ got attention pre-1.0.

Looked at this way, leaving gegl standalone is more like developing gtk+ as a standalone project, and saying that we would use it when it were ready, while continuing to develop the 0.99 series with motif.

GEGL is a separate project and it is IMO very important that it doesn't become too GIMP-centric. Having it included in the GIMP tarball will make it appear as part of The GIMP which it isn't supposed to be. What you suggest basically has only disadvantages. Let alone the fact that it will be a nightmare to maintain.

I'm not suggesting maintenance. I'm suggesting including milestone releases of gegl in our sources. Or storing them with our release tarballs. Either is good. Basically, releasing them together. Early. Before we use the functionality. So that they get built, and people are aware that gegl is real software, not a mission statement from 3 years ago. I'd like to see this done hand-in-hand with a configure check for gegl, so that we actually do get people downloading and building it.

And gegl is, at this moment, a gimp utility library. It may not stay that way. I would expect that cinepaint might like to migrate their core to gegl at some stage, if it becomes the killer graphics motor it aspires to be. Perhaps some mini-gimps, or specialised graphing applications, will use it. But being associated with the GIMP is not a disadvantage for a toolkit or utility library. Look at gtk+ and gimp-print.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-22 18:29:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Hi,

What is wrong about depending on GEGL and have people download and compile it separately? GTK+ used to live in the GIMP source tree for historical reasons only. I strongly doubt anyone would have wanted to move it into the GIMP source tree if it was started as a separate project. Why would you want to do this with GEGL now?

Sven

Manish Singh
2003-12-22 19:01:24 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 06:15:17PM +0100, David Neary wrote:

Not at all. GTK+ lived in the GIMP source tree until it was capable of being a standalone project. Afterwards, its main developers were gimp developers. Unfortunately, several of them followed the path which GTK+ has become to go on to be core GNOME developers and no longer work on the GIMP.

The point is that as it is, gegl is not a standalone project. It doesn't seem to me like it is mature enough that if the GIMP went under (say a few more people quit), gegl would not go on to be a standalone graphics library in the way that gtk+ went on to be a standalone toolkit. During the incubation of the project, it needs attention from us in the same way as gtk+ got attention pre-1.0.

But it *is* a standalone project. That's been the intent from the beginning. I don't see how "incubation" helps it in any way. There are people who have indicated wanting to use it for other projects besides GIMP already.
GTK+ was distributed as part of GIMP until people found out that "hey, this is a useful general purpose toolkit". We already know that with GEGL. There weren't any notable positive benefits with keeping GTK+ as part of the GIMP tree.

GEGL is a separate project and it is IMO very important that it doesn't become too GIMP-centric. Having it included in the GIMP tarball will make it appear as part of The GIMP which it isn't supposed to be. What you suggest basically has only disadvantages. Let alone the fact that it will be a nightmare to maintain.

I'm not suggesting maintenance. I'm suggesting including milestone releases of gegl in our sources. Or storing them with our release tarballs. Either is good. Basically, releasing them together. Early. Before we use the functionality. So that they get built, and people are aware that gegl is real software, not a mission statement from 3 years ago. I'd like to see this done hand-in-hand with a configure check for gegl, so that we actually do get people downloading and building it.

There isn't any point. The problem with dependencies most people have is not downloading and installing tarballs, but rather the mess that is Freetype library incompatibilites and by extension any of the things that directly depend on it.

GEGL doesn't depend on any external library GIMP doesn't already need.

-Yosh

Dave Neary
2003-12-23 09:27:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

What is wrong about depending on GEGL and have people download and compile it separately? GTK+ used to live in the GIMP source tree for historical reasons only. I strongly doubt anyone would have wanted to move it into the GIMP source tree if it was started as a separate project. Why would you want to do this with GEGL now?

What's wrong with having gegl sources to download with the latest release on the FTP server, the same way we used to have libaa, libmpg, libpng and all the other stuff we needed? Up until 1.2.x, we used to have gtk+ and glib sources with gimp sources. What was wrong with that?

Dave.

Dave Neary
2003-12-23 09:35:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Manish Singh wrote:

The point is that as it is, gegl is not a standalone project.

But it *is* a standalone project. That's been the intent from the beginning. I don't see how "incubation" helps it in any way. There are people who have indicated wanting to use it for other projects besides GIMP already.

OK - fair enough. It's a standalone project. But we're going to use it, and need it, and from what I recall, calvin was looking for more GIMP input into what it should do. How do you propose we get that kind of communication happenning?

GTK+ was distributed as part of GIMP until people found out that "hey, this is a useful general purpose toolkit". We already know that with GEGL. There weren't any notable positive benefits with keeping GTK+ as part of the GIMP tree.

Except that until people noticed that it was a useful general purpose toolkit, it kept getting worked on, with a particular application in mind... I think that being part of the GIMP was enormously beneficial to gtk+.

There isn't any point. The problem with dependencies most people have is not downloading and installing tarballs, but rather the mess that is Freetype library incompatibilites and by extension any of the things that directly depend on it.

I'm afraid I didn't follow the logic of this... how is this a counter-argument to having gegl and gimp downloads in the same directory?

Note, I'm no longer advocating shipping gegl as part of the GIMP sources - although I see no reason not to do that personally, I can see that most people are against it and don't consider it the thing to do (that said, only 3 people have replied with a preference).

Cheers, Dave.

Manish Singh
2003-12-23 09:58:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:35:09AM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

Manish Singh wrote:

The point is that as it is, gegl is not a standalone project.

But it *is* a standalone project. That's been the intent from the beginning.
I don't see how "incubation" helps it in any way. There are people who have indicated wanting to use it for other projects besides GIMP already.

OK - fair enough. It's a standalone project. But we're going to use it, and need it, and from what I recall, calvin was looking for more GIMP input into what it should do. How do you propose we get that kind of communication happenning?

Not sure. Something to think about more post-2.0.

Except that until people noticed that it was a useful general purpose toolkit, it kept getting worked on, with a particular application in mind... I think that being part of the GIMP was enormously beneficial to gtk+.

The beneficial part was having GIMP use GTK+. Period. Having it part of the actual source tree didn't really contribute to that benefit much at all, since it would've gotten worked on regardless.

In fact, it was a minor hindrance, since GIMP specific stuff like GtkGamma got stuck in the general purpose library, and now the GTK+ folk have to maintain it when it doesn't actually belong.

I'm afraid I didn't follow the logic of this... how is this a counter-argument to having gegl and gimp downloads in the same directory?

Note, I'm no longer advocating shipping gegl as part of the GIMP sources - although I see no reason not to do that personally, I can see that most people are against it and don't consider it the thing to do (that said, only 3 people have replied with a preference).

You didn't propose having gegl and gimp downloads in the same directory till today. So I don't follow the logic. ;)

I don't really mind symlinking the gegl sources into the gimp ftp dir, but that's a fairly minor thing. Most people follow webpage links rather than poking through an ftp site these days, and the download webpage should of course link to gegl.

-Yosh

Manish Singh
2003-12-23 10:03:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:27:17AM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

What's wrong with having gegl sources to download with the latest release on the FTP server, the same way we used to have libaa, libmpg, libpng and all the other stuff we needed? Up until 1.2.x, we used to have gtk+ and glib sources with gimp sources. What was wrong with that?

Actually, as far as I can recall, the gtk+ and gimp sources were not in the same directory since before 1.0.0.

-Yosh

Dave Neary
2003-12-23 10:40:13 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Manish Singh wrote:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:35:09AM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

Not sure. Something to think about more post-2.0.

We could think about it now, and do something about it post 2.0 :) That's all I am doing is throwing ideas around.

The beneficial part was having GIMP use GTK+. Period. Having it part of the actual source tree didn't really contribute to that benefit much at all, since it would've gotten worked on regardless.

So having the GIMP use gegl will be beneficial to gegl :)

In any case, that is not the goal of the 2.2 release. I still believe that always stable, always releasable, with a 6 week freeze on functionality and a release for GUADEC are the technical goals of the 2.1.x series. If we start using tiny bits of gegl, then that's great.

You didn't propose having gegl and gimp downloads in the same directory till today. So I don't follow the logic. ;)

The post you replied to immediately before this one talked about having the tarballs together. I posted that yesterday.

I don't really mind symlinking the gegl sources into the gimp ftp dir, but that's a fairly minor thing. Most people follow webpage links rather than poking through an ftp site these days, and the download webpage should of course link to gegl.

I agree.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-23 20:56:39 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Putting the tarballs somewhere close to the GIMP tarball on the FTP server is of course reasonable. But unless I completely misunderstood you earlier, you proposed to include gegl as a virtual CVS module and to include it in the GIMP tarball. That's what we've been discussing here.

Sven

David Neary
2003-12-23 22:00:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GEGL in GIMP

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Putting the tarballs somewhere close to the GIMP tarball on the FTP server is of course reasonable. But unless I completely misunderstood you earlier, you proposed to include gegl as a virtual CVS module and to include it in the GIMP tarball. That's what we've been discussing here.

It was an idea. The original idea I had was exactly what you said. Given that was so problematic, I modified the idea. Perhaps I should have signposted the change :)

Cheers, Dave.