RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Updating Script-Fu scripts for GIMP 1.3+

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Updating Script-Fu scripts for GIMP 1.3+ Kevin Cozens 17 Dec 02:20
  Updating Script-Fu scripts for GIMP 1.3+ Sven Neumann 17 Dec 04:09
   Updating Script-Fu scripts for GIMP 1.3+ Kevin Cozens 17 Dec 04:35
   Updating Script-Fu scripts for GIMP 1.3+ Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 17 Dec 06:54
    Updating Script-Fu scripts for GIMP 1.3+ Kevin Cozens 17 Dec 18:41
    Updating Script-Fu scripts for GIMP 1.3+ Kevin Cozens 29 Jan 23:19
Kevin Cozens
2003-12-17 02:20:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Greetings, all.

I was updating part of my web site when I ran across some Script-Fu scripts. I decided it was time to test some of the scripts to see if the scripts would work with the 1.3 version of GIMP. The scripts didn't so I have started to update them. In the process I have a few questions. BTW, I am working

Is there a list somewhere of the changes in the API which affect Script-Fu scripts? In the days of GIMP 1.1.x there used to be a script which aided in the updating of Script-Fu scripts from the 1.0 API to the 1.1/1.2 API but I don't see one in the 1.3 CVS copy of GIMP.

I have updated several logo oriented scripts and have noticed that text is positioned differently between the 1.2 and 1.3 versions of GIMP. The text appears higher up in the image and further to the left in 1.3 compared to 1.2. Is this the result of a change to the API requiring a change to the coordinates used for the positioning of text or is there a bug(?) in the GIMP?

What happened to the parameter to the randomize plug-ins which allow you to say that the seed should be the system time? It is there in the 1.2 version of the GIMP but the 1.3 version of GIMP has no such parameter so it appears it can only used a fixed value as the seed. Unless there is some other way to get the system time to use as a seed value I think the extra parameter should be re-instated.

I can bugzilla some of the above if appropriate. I thought I would raise the issues here first.

Cheers!

Kevin. (http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/)

Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172 |"What are we going to do today, Borg?" E-mail:kcozens at interlog dot com|"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: Packet:ve3syb@ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na| Try to assimilate the world!" #include | -Pinkutus & the Borg

Sven Neumann
2003-12-17 04:09:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Kevin Cozens writes:

Is there a list somewhere of the changes in the API which affect Script-Fu scripts? In the days of GIMP 1.1.x there used to be a script which aided in the updating of Script-Fu scripts from the 1.0 API to the 1.1/1.2 API but I don't see one in the 1.3 CVS copy of GIMP.

This script still needs to be written. The header file gimpcompat.h is probably the best source of information about the changes to the PDB.

I have updated several logo oriented scripts and have noticed that text is positioned differently between the 1.2 and 1.3 versions of GIMP. The text appears higher up in the image and further to the left in 1.3 compared to 1.2. Is this the result of a change to the API requiring a change to the coordinates used for the positioning of text or is there a bug(?) in the GIMP?

This is a bug that Mitch fixed earlier today. See #129405 on bugzilla.

Sven

Kevin Cozens
2003-12-17 04:35:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi, Sven.

In the days of GIMP 1.1.x there used to be a script which aided in the updating of Script-Fu scripts from the 1.0 API to the 1.1/1.2 API but I don't see one in the 1.3 CVS copy of GIMP.

This script still needs to be written. The header file gimpcompat.h is probably the best source of information about the changes to the PDB.

I started my own set of notes about changes needed to Script-Fu's while I was updating them. I will take a look at the header file. I will also see if I can track down the old update script and have a go at updating it to handle the changes unless someone is already doing this.

I have updated several logo oriented scripts and have noticed that text is positioned differently between the 1.2 and 1.3 versions of GIMP

[snip]

This is a bug that Mitch fixed earlier today. See #129405 on bugzilla.

I will refresh my CVS copy of the GIMP later tonight, do a rebuild, and run some tests on the scripts myself. If the problem has been fixed, then I will have some additional scripts ready for the 1.3+ version of GIMP.

Cheers!

Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172 |"What are we going to do today, Borg?" E-mail:kcozens at interlog dot com|"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: Packet:ve3syb@ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na| Try to assimilate the world!" #include | -Pinkutus & the Borg

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-12-17 06:54:18 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:09:45AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Script-Fu scripts? In the days of GIMP 1.1.x there used to be a script which aided in the updating of Script-Fu scripts from the 1.0 API to the 1.1/1.2 API but I don't see one in the 1.3 CVS copy of GIMP.

If you talk about scm2scm, it's part of the gimp-perl distro and relatively straightfoward (no dependencies, it builds a tree of the script, runs some filtering operations and prints out the script again).

If anybody wants to give it a try, I think modifying it for the 2.0 api might take about as long as modifying the scripts manually :)

Kevin Cozens
2003-12-17 18:41:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

At 06:54 AM 12/17/2003 +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:

Script-Fu scripts? In the days of GIMP 1.1.x there used to be a script which aided in the updating of Script-Fu scripts from the 1.0 API to the 1.1/1.2 API but I don't see one in the 1.3 CVS copy of GIMP.

If you talk about scm2scm, it's part of the gimp-perl distro and relatively straightfoward (no dependencies, it builds a tree of the script, runs some filtering operations and prints out the script again).

Thank you Marc. It has been so long since I had used the script, or even thought about it, that I couldn't remember the name. I will get a copy of gimp-perl from the CVS repository and take a look at the script. I remember in the 1.0 to 1.1.x days I made changes to the scm2scm script to handle a few things it either wasn't handling or wasn't handling well. It still had problems such as dealing with changes to the argument list to certain API calls but it still made it easier and faster to deal with the cases where only the name had changed.

BTW, the bug fix regarding the positioning of text works. Most of the Script-Fu logo scripts I was updating now work properly in the CVS version of the GIMP as of last night. I have added these updated scripts to my web site (in the software section). I still have about 8 scripts (not all of them Logo scripts) which still need work.

Cheers!

Kevin Cozens
2004-01-29 23:19:44 UTC (about 20 years ago)

At 12:54 AM 12/17/2003, Marc Lehman wrote:

If you talk about scm2scm, it's part of the gimp-perl distro and

Thank you for the heads up, Marc. I found the old script.

If anybody wants to give it a try, I think modifying it for the 2.0 api might take about as long as modifying the scripts manually :)

The scm2scm script looks overly complicated for what is needed. The changes between the 2.0 API from the 1.2 API appear to be only changes to the names of functions with the exception of three function calls which take a slightly different set of arguments.

I have already created an improved version of the plug-ins/script-fu/convert-scripts.pl (IIRC) script to handle the name changes. I will put a copy of it on my web site in case anyone else out there has scripts written for 1.2 they would like to update for use with the 2.0 GIMP.

Cheers!