RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Calling plugin from plugins

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Calling plugin from plugins Shrinivas Kulkarni 11 Dec 10:43
  Calling plugin from plugins Simon Budig 11 Dec 11:52
Calling plugin from plugins Shrinivas Kulkarni 11 Dec 12:43
  Calling plugin from plugins Simon Budig 11 Dec 13:02
Calling plugin from plugins Shrinivas Kulkarni 11 Dec 13:26
  Calling plugin from plugins Simon Budig 11 Dec 13:41
Calling plugin from plugins Shrinivas Kulkarni 11 Dec 13:56
Shrinivas Kulkarni
2003-12-11 10:43:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Is there anyway to call a plugin within plugin. For example I would like to invoke GFig plugin from my own plugin. Example is really appreciated.

I thought initially using PDB related functions we may be able to do it.

Thanks and regards, Shrinivas Kulkarni.

Simon Budig
2003-12-11 11:52:40 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Shrinivas Kulkarni (shrinivask@vitinfotech.com) wrote:

Is there anyway to call a plugin within plugin. For example I would like to invoke GFig plugin from my own plugin. Example is really appreciated.

I thought initially using PDB related functions we may be able to do it.

It all depends on the plugin you want to use. Usually they register PDB functions, and you can call these via the libgimp functions gimp_run_procedure
gimp_run_procedure2

An example is in plugins/common/curve_bend.c

Bye, Simon

Shrinivas Kulkarni
2003-12-11 12:43:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Thanks a lot Simon...

I have one more question! Can we use GIMP's filters without GIMP. What I mean to ask can we use GIMP as lib.

Hope I am making myself clear.

Thanks and reagards, Shrinivas
----- Original Message ---

Simon Budig
2003-12-11 13:02:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I have one more question! Can we use GIMP's filters without GIMP. What I mean to ask can we use GIMP as lib.

Hardly.

Of course you could implement the libgimp protocol, but I seriously doubt that this is feasible.

You can however run gimp without a user interface and run it as "rendering engine" in the background and communicate with it via the PDB. It depends on your goals if this is a good solution for you.

Bye, Simon

Shrinivas Kulkarni
2003-12-11 13:26:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi Simon,

I really appreciate your quick response. About the other solution, that is to make GIMP running a background, I am aware of it. But I am not sure how I can call PDB functions from my program to a process that is running in background.

Do you want to say that I should run GIMP from my application first and then call it's functionality thru PDB? I am sorry if I am making a foolish question here.

Simon Budig
2003-12-11 13:41:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I really appreciate your quick response. About the other solution, that is to make GIMP running a background, I am aware of it. But I am not sure how I can call PDB functions from my program to a process that is running in background.

Do you want to say that I should run GIMP from my application first and then call it's functionality thru PDB? I am sorry if I am making a foolish question here.

It is very hard for me to give you any advice, since you are very reluctant with the details of what you are actually trying to do.

There are at least two methods to contact a running GIMP. Gimp-Perl has a method of communicate to the main GIMP process, and there is a net-fu server, where GIMP listens on a socket.

I don't have very much experience with that, so I cannot really help here. It might also make sense for you to develop a small extension for the GIMP, that establishes the communication between your application and the GIMP.

Bye,
Simon

Shrinivas Kulkarni
2003-12-11 13:56:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Well it is nothing like I am reluctant, I thought I am giving enough info. Anywa sorry for it.

Here is what I wanted to do. I am writing a program which displays point cloud using VTK. Now this is the only one part of what I am doing. Other part user will have a 2D window, which will reflect current state in VTK window. Now this 2D window, I am planning to use GIMP. If I cannot make use of GIMP then, I have to really write a plugin for GIMP, which in my opinion very tight binding with it.

Therefore, instead of writing plugin, I am trying to use GIMP otherway round, that is by trying to use it as library.

Hope I am making myslef clear here. Also, I am really newbie here therefore I am not able to understand idea of writing extension to GIMP.( By this what I mean is, how it could be. )