RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Building GIMP1.3.22 using MSVC++

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tool Dialogs stuck on top Jeff Trefftzs 08 Dec 20:35
  Tool Dialogs stuck on top Sven Neumann 09 Dec 02:00
   Tool Dialogs stuck on top Jeff Trefftzs 09 Dec 04:44
    Tool Dialogs stuck on top Sven Neumann 09 Dec 11:04
   Tool Dialogs stuck on top Jeff Trefftzs 11 Dec 21:26
Building GIMP1.3.22 using MSVC++ Shrinivas Kulkarni 12 Dec 07:36
  Building GIMP1.3.22 using MSVC++ Dave Neary 12 Dec 10:18
   Building GIMP1.3.22 using MSVC++ Hans Breuer 13 Dec 16:18
How to get GIMP from CVS Shrinivas Kulkarni 12 Dec 07:56
  How to get GIMP from CVS Sven Neumann 12 Dec 11:28
Jeff Trefftzs
2003-12-08 20:35:50 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Tool Dialogs stuck on top

Hi All -

I've been trying out GIMP-1.3.23 and have discovered some behavior that I, at least, find terminally annoying. When I use a tool such as Crop/Resize, the tool dialog pops up. Well, this is fine, but (a) it pops up right over the portion of the image I'm trying to select, hiding it from my view, and (b) always remains on top of all other windows, even though I'd like to try to send it to the back. Same behavior has shown up for Curves, Levels, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this and found it irritating? I didn't find anything in bugzilla, but I'm not really good at searching that database.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-09 02:00:37 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

I've been trying out GIMP-1.3.23 and have discovered some behavior that I, at least, find terminally annoying. When I use a tool such as Crop/Resize, the tool dialog pops up. Well, this is fine, but (a) it pops up right over the portion of the image I'm trying to select, hiding it from my view, and (b) always remains on top of all other windows, even though I'd like to try to send it to the back. Same behavior has shown up for Curves, Levels, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this and found it irritating? I didn't find anything in bugzilla, but I'm not really good at searching that database.

See my comments on http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=128833

The strange thing is that the session management seems to work sometimes, sometimes not. We will have to investigate further why the proper placement of the dialog fails sometimes. But I think the tool dialogs should remain transient to the image window (and thus will be kept on top by most window managers).

Sven

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-12-09 04:44:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:00, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,
But I think the tool
dialogs should remain transient to the image window (and thus will be kept on top by most window managers).

Any chance of at least making this configurable by the user? Transient to the image window is something I find truly offensive. I didn't realize I would, until I tried it, but it means that I can't look at my full size image as a whole until I either cancel or accept the results of using the tool -- when it was so much easier to bring my image window to the front, examine it, and then call back the tool dialog and change my curve settings or level adjustments and see it all again.

Of course there is a work-around: simply accept a set of settings, and use undo to go back so you can try again, but this is far too reminiscent of the old batch programming days, rather than the truly interactive adjustments we've come to know and love.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-09 11:04:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

Any chance of at least making this configurable by the user?

Yes, of course. If you dislike how transient windows are handled by your window manager, disable the special handling of transient windows in your window manager.

Sven

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-12-11 21:26:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:00, Sven Neumann wrote:

See my comments on http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=128833

The strange thing is that the session management seems to work sometimes, sometimes not. We will have to investigate further why the proper placement of the dialog fails sometimes. But I think the tool dialogs should remain transient to the image window (and thus will be kept on top by most window managers).

Thanks, Sven. I changed preferences in my window manager (Sawfish) to place transient windows at random and to allow them to be hidden, so things are back to more-or-less normal. The only remaining issue is that the transient windows do not get listed in the Gnome control panel, which means they can get hidden under other windows with no indication that they're there, unlike their earlier behavior. This is not necessarily a major issue, but might confuse newbies.

Anyway, thanks for the rapid response and useful suggestions.

Shrinivas Kulkarni
2003-12-12 07:36:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi all,

Is there any help on steps to build GIMP 1.3.22 using MSVC++ 6.0?

Thanks in advance.

Shrinivas k

Shrinivas Kulkarni
2003-12-12 07:56:16 UTC (over 20 years ago)

How to get GIMP from CVS

I would like to know how to get GIMP from CVS tree, I am using wincvs on Windows XP.

Thanks and regards, Shrinivas

Dave Neary
2003-12-12 10:18:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi Shrinivas,

Shrinivas Kulkarni wrote:

There are instructions on building the GIMP for windows in the wiki: http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows, but that article seems more oriented towards using gcc on either cygwin or msys.

Perhaps Hans could comment on this - he seems to be the local MSVC++ expert :) Despite a short search, I haven't been able to find something more appropriate.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-12 11:28:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

How to get GIMP from CVS

Hi,

"Shrinivas Kulkarni" writes:

I would like to know how to get GIMP from CVS tree, I am using wincvs on Windows XP.

http://www.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html

Sven

Hans Breuer
2003-12-13 16:18:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

At 10:18 12.12.03 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi Shrinivas,

Shrinivas Kulkarni wrote:

There are instructions on building the GIMP for windows in the wiki: http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows, but that article seems more oriented towards using gcc on either cygwin or msys.

Perhaps Hans could comment on this - he seems to be the local MSVC++ expert :) Despite a short search, I haven't been able to find something more appropriate.

My usual response is to start reading glib/readme.win32

http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=glib/README.win32&root=/cvs/gn ome

which tries to describe both succesful praticed ways to compile The Gimp (and depencies) on windoze.

For further reading

http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net/dia_win32_compilation.html

may be of interest. Though it does not describe building The Gimp but Dia with the msvc-approach, many of the hints there should be of general interest cause both applications share most of the dependencies.

Note that I usually build almost all dependencies direct from cvs and with 'uninstalled' but it should be quite straigtfoward to use the developers packages provided by

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

adapt glib/build/win32/make.msc and glib/build/win32.module.defs to your local installation. IIRC this is what Steffen does for his Dia build.

Please report files missing in the tar.gz packages so this can be fixed for the next distribution.

Thanks, Hans
-------- Hans "at" Breuer "dot" Org ----------- Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it. -- Dilbert