RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What makes the GIMP toolbox special?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

31 of 31 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Raphaël Quinet 24 Nov 14:58
  What makes the GIMP toolbox special? David Neary 24 Nov 16:52
   What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Raphaël Quinet 24 Nov 17:32
  What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Sven Neumann 24 Nov 17:04
   What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Raphaël Quinet 24 Nov 17:54
    What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Sven Neumann 24 Nov 18:42
     What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Raphaël Quinet 24 Nov 19:25
      What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Sven Neumann 24 Nov 20:17
       What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Raphaël Quinet 25 Nov 11:22
        What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Sven Neumann 25 Nov 14:07
         What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Raphaël Quinet 25 Nov 20:21
          What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Sven Neumann 25 Nov 20:53
      What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Nick Lamb 25 Nov 13:33
     What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Carol Spears 26 Nov 09:43
      What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Sven Neumann 26 Nov 10:17
       What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Carol Spears 26 Nov 16:35
        What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Sven Neumann 29 Nov 12:54
         What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Carol Spears 29 Nov 22:34
    What makes the GIMP toolbox special? Simon Budig 24 Nov 20:29
  Default values for window management settings Sven Neumann 25 Nov 13:33
   Default values for window management settings Tino Schwarze 25 Nov 14:42
    Default values for window management settings Sven Neumann 25 Nov 15:21
    Default values for window management settings Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Nov 15:50
     Default values for window management settings Henrik Brix Andersen 25 Nov 16:03
      Default values for window management settings Sven Neumann 25 Nov 16:18
       Big fonts make X freeze. Bugs 85103, 118356. Was - Re: Default values for window management settings Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Nov 16:35
        Big fonts make X freeze. Bugs 85103, 118356. Was - Re: Default values for window management settings Sven Neumann 25 Nov 16:40
     Default values for window management settings Sven Neumann 25 Nov 16:08
   Default values for window management settings David Neary 25 Nov 15:12
   Default values for window management settings Simon Budig 25 Nov 15:31
    Default values for window management settings Raphaël Quinet 25 Nov 20:52
Raphaël Quinet
2003-11-24 14:58:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Following the discussion in bug #115092 and according to Sven's suggestion, I am moving a part of the discussion here: what is special about the GIMP toolbox, from a user's point of view? What makes it different from the other docks?

There are some subtle differences that are internal and IMHO not important from the user's point of view: the code currently keeps some references to that window because it contains the brush, pattern, gradient and color indicators but these will probably change or go away soon. Also, its title is handled differently from the other dock windows and there are other internal differences due to the fact that the code of the GIMP must have at least one window to start with. But if we look at the remaining differences (again, from the user's point of view, not from the code point of view), what is left?

- The toolbox has a menu bar. - The toolbox contains the buttons for switching tools.

Apart from these differences, I consider the toolbox to be just another dock:
- one can drag tabs to and from it,
- one can move and resize it
- its state is saved accross sessions, - it is a controller window that allows the user to perform some actions on the current (active) image.

As I wrote in bug #115092, I don't think that any user would be surprised if we allowed the menu and the tool buttons to be dragged from the toolbox to any other dock. In fact, it would be nice to add this feature to a future release. Is there anything else that makes the toolbox special in the GIMP user interface?

-Raphaël

David Neary
2003-11-24 16:52:34 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Raphaël Quinet wrote:

There are some subtle differences that are internal and IMHO not important from the user's point of view:

if we look at the remaining differences (again, from the user's point of view, not from the code point of view), what is left?

- The toolbox has a menu bar. - The toolbox contains the buttons for switching tools.

- Drag & drop of URLs, image icons, etc. opens up the image.

That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-11-24 17:04:37 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

Following the discussion in bug #115092 and according to Sven's suggestion, I am moving a part of the discussion here: what is special about the GIMP toolbox, from a user's point of view? What makes it different from the other docks?

The toolbox is the first window that opens and the last that closes. It is even raised when the last image window is closed. It is treated special when you hit Tab. All this makes it the leader window of the GIMP application. It is a very special window and IMO there's no reason for this to change.

As I wrote in bug #115092, I don't think that any user would be surprised if we allowed the menu and the tool buttons to be dragged from the toolbox to any other dock. In fact, it would be nice to add this feature to a future release.

You can already add a tools list/grid to whatever dock you like.

Sven

Raphaël Quinet
2003-11-24 17:32:13 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:52:34 +0100, David Neary wrote:

Raphaël Quinet wrote:

There are some subtle differences that are internal and IMHO not important from the user's point of view:

if we look at the remaining differences (again, from the user's point of view, not from the code point of view), what is left?

- Drag & drop of URLs, image icons, etc. opens up the image.

Yes, but this is already a bit confusing for the user: you can drop something on the menu, on the icons of the tools or on the area around the color, brush, pattern and gradient selectors. But you cannot drop it on the selector themselves or on any other part of the toolbox window (e.g., the tabs attached to it, such as tool options, etc.)

We should probably take care of the drag & drop issues in a separate thread (maybe I should file a bug report) because I don't think that our user interface is very consistent there. How do we explain to a user _why_ she should drop an image on the menu or on the icons of the tools, but not on the other parts of the GIMP windows?

-Raphaël

Raphaël Quinet
2003-11-24 17:54:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 24 Nov 2003 17:04:37 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

The toolbox is the first window that opens and the last that closes.

Yes, I mentioned this in my message ("the code of the GIMP must have at least one window to start with"). But this is not something that most users should care about, IMHO.

It is even raised when the last image window is closed. It is treated special when you hit Tab. All this makes it the leader window of the GIMP application.

But could you explain to a newbie _why_ this is like that? Is there a reason why only that window (which includes a dock) is raised when the last image window is closed and why this one is treated differently when you press Tab? Why don't we do the same thing for all docks?

The only reasons that I can think of are historical, so this is not very good from a (new) user's point of view.

It is a very special window and IMO there's no reason for this to change.

The consistency of the user interface would be a good reason, IMHO.

As I wrote in bug #115092, I don't think that any user would be surprised if we allowed the menu and the tool buttons to be dragged from the toolbox to any other dock. In fact, it would be nice to add this feature to a future release.

But this list or grid of tools does not behave like the one in the toolbox, unfortunately. The grid view does not behave as set of buttons (different background color, no highlighting on mouse-over) and it is not possible to drag & drop images (as mentioned in Dave's message). It would be nice to replace the main tools area in the toolbox by a grid view of the tools if these differences could be fixed. But then there would be even less reasons to treat the toolbox differently from all other docks.

If the menu could also be removed or dragged to another dock, then the last difference between the toolbox and the other docks would go away. Or did I miss something important?

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2003-11-24 18:42:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

But this list or grid of tools does not behave like the one in the toolbox, unfortunately. The grid view does not behave as set of buttons (different background color, no highlighting on mouse-over) and it is not possible to drag & drop images (as mentioned in Dave's message). It would be nice to replace the main tools area in the toolbox by a grid view of the tools if these differences could be fixed. But then there would be even less reasons to treat the toolbox differently from all other docks.

Exactly and that's why the toolbox is special. It holds the tool buttons, it decides what tool is active, it has the most important menu and for that reason it also creates images when things are dropped there.

If the menu could also be removed or dragged to another dock, then the last difference between the toolbox and the other docks would go away. Or did I miss something important?

You missed the important fact that the menu cannot be removed and that we don't intent to change this. Face it, as it stands, the toolbox is special. I really don't understand why you are questioning this. It's a fact.

Sven

Raphaël Quinet
2003-11-24 19:25:01 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 24 Nov 2003 18:42:21 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Raphaël Quinet writes:

You missed the important fact that the menu cannot be removed and that we don't intent to change this. Face it, as it stands, the toolbox is special. I really don't understand why you are questioning this. It's a fact.

I am questioning this because I think that the fact that the toolbox is "special" is an artificial limitation that should go away in a future release in order to make the user interface more consistent and easier to use.

Let's imagine for a moment that the menu can be moved to any dock, and the tools area is just a grid view that can also be moved around. We may have to ensure that at least one menu is present in some dock, but this may not even be necessary if the functions can be accessed in some other way. If we achieve this, then the mental model of how the GIMP behaves becomes much simpler:
- There is one, two or any number of windows (docks) that can include various controls acting on the image windows. - All docks are session-managed top-level windows. Their size and position are kept accross sessions. - All docks are equal and can host any number of tabs, including the one containing the tools.
- The main menu is just another thing that can be included (or not) in a dock. If present, it would appear at the top of the dock.

Wouldn't this be easier to understand and work with? The user simply has a number of control windows in which several dockable items can be organized in any way they want. And none of them is more "special" than the others.

If there is no good answer to the question "why do we need the toolbox to be special (from a user interface point of view)?" then the differences between the toolbox and the other docks should go away. Not now, but in a future release.

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2003-11-24 20:17:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

I am questioning this because I think that the fact that the toolbox is "special" is an artificial limitation that should go away in a future release in order to make the user interface more consistent and easier to use.

This discussion is about proper defaults for GIMP-2.0, not some future plans.

Let's imagine for a moment that the menu can be moved to any dock, and the tools area is just a grid view that can also be moved around. We may have to ensure that at least one menu is present in some dock, but this may not even be necessary if the functions can be accessed in some other way. If we achieve this, then the mental model of how the GIMP behaves becomes much simpler:
- There is one, two or any number of windows (docks) that can include various controls acting on the image windows. - All docks are session-managed top-level windows. Their size and position are kept accross sessions. - All docks are equal and can host any number of tabs, including the one containing the tools.
- The main menu is just another thing that can be included (or not) in a dock. If present, it would appear at the top of the dock.

Wouldn't this be easier to understand and work with? The user simply has a number of control windows in which several dockable items can be organized in any way they want. And none of them is more "special" than the others.

I seriously doubt that this would make it easier for the user. In my opinion it only adds an completely unneeded level of configurability and thus complexity. The GIMP should have a common window that everyone (and the docs) can refer to as "the toolbox". I don't see any good reason of changing this.

Sven

Simon Budig
2003-11-24 20:29:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Raphaël Quinet (quinet@gamers.org) wrote:

On 24 Nov 2003 17:04:37 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

It is even raised when the last image window is closed. It is treated special when you hit Tab. All this makes it the leader window of the GIMP application.

But could you explain to a newbie _why_ this is like that? Is there a reason why only that window (which includes a dock) is raised when the last image window is closed and why this one is treated differently when you press Tab? Why don't we do the same thing for all docks?

Actually the "raising" action that Sven mentioned is a side-effect of the Tab-Feature. I'm pretty sure that you know about it, but it appears garbled in your description.

* The first in an image window hides the toolbox and the docks * The second lets the toolbox reappear * The third also lets the docks reappear.

Basically the Tab key cycles between Full blown GUI, Toolbox only, just image windows. And IMHO the possibility to have a reduced GUI (Toolbox only) seems useful to me.

Of course we have to make sure that a window of the Gimp is visible when the last image window gets closed. So we make sure that the toolbox gets _present()ed again [1], when the last open image gets closed.

So the Toolbox Window is different, because it is by definition the minimal GIMP GUI.

Hope this clears things up.

Bye, Simon

[1] There lurks an annoyance here: this step actually should be omitted when actually closing the GIMP. I sometimes have the effect that I shut down the Gimp (living in its own Viewport), switch to a different Viewport and want to do something different and *oops* Sawfish switches back (because the toolbox got _present()ed) and I have to watch the Shutdown process of the GIMP.

Raphaël Quinet
2003-11-25 11:22:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 24 Nov 2003 20:17:52 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Raphaël Quinet writes:

This discussion is about proper defaults for GIMP-2.0, not some future plans.

I started this discussion without mentioning 2.0 and thinking more about where we want to go in the future. This may of course have some influence on 2.0 (i.e., it may be better to set a normal WM hint on all docks as mentioned in bug #115092) but I was more interested in "what are our goals for the user interface?" than in "what is the next step towards that goal?" because the former influences the latter.

[...]

I seriously doubt that this would make it easier for the user. In my opinion it only adds an completely unneeded level of configurability and thus complexity.

This is something that we can probably not decide ourselves. Everybody on this list is a developer or at least an experienced GIMP user, influenced by the history of the GIMP. The best way to check what is best for the user interface would be to ask some new users, especially those who have never used a previous version of the GIMP such as 1.2.x. Or maybe we could involve the GNOME usability people?

The GIMP should have a common window that everyone (and the docs) can refer to as "the toolbox". I don't see any good reason of changing this.

In most cases, a new user will have two GIMP windows that have more or less the same size: in the current docs, one of them is refered to as "the toolbox" and the other one is just a "dock". Both of them have roughly the same importance: they control what happens to the image, and it is possible to move (almost) all dockable items freely between these windows. Both of them are managed in (almost) the same way.

For what reason do we want to call one of them "the toolbox" and treat it in a special way in the code and in the docs? Why couldn't we call any of the top-level control GIMP windows "a toolbox" or "a dock", without having to care about how this window was created? If the list or grid of tools can be moved to any dock, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use the term "toolbox" for whatever window happens to contain the tool icons? I think that the documentation would be simpler and the user interface would be easier to use if we could just say "drop this URL on any GIMP dock to open the image" or if we could refer to the toolbox as the area that contains the tools and is hosted in any of the GIMP docks without having to associate it automatically with the presence of the main menu and the (obsolete) indicators.

So call me thick if you want (or just persistent), but I still do not see a good reason to have this artificial difference between the toolbox and the other docks. The argument from Simon about the "minimal GIMP GUI" seemed interesting at first, but on second thought it is not very good either: as the current toolbox window is also a dock containing several tabs, it is usually far from "minimal". A better "minimal GIMP GUI" would only show the toolbox (i.e., just the list or grid of tool icons) and maybe the menu, but not any of the other dockable items. So we would be back to the same argument: all docks could be treated in the same way. The user would simply have one or several top-level GIMP windows (docks) in which she can organize various controls acting on the image windows.

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2003-11-25 13:33:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Default values for window management settings

Hi,

as discussed in bug #115092, we have recently added some gimprc settings that allow to tune how GIMP interacts with the window manager.

Here's what the gimprc manpage says about the new settings:

(toolbox?window?type normal) The window type hint that is set on the toolbox. This may affect how your window manager decorates and handles the toolbox window. Possible values are normal and utility.
(dock?window?type utility)

The window type hint that is set on dock windows. This may affect the way your window manager decorates and handles dock windows. Possible values are normal and utility.

(activate?on?focus no)
When enabled, an image will become the active image when its image window receives the focus. This is useful for window managers using "click to focus". Possible values are yes and no.

The question I'd like to bring up is what should be the default values for these. After quite some discussions I now propose the following:

(toolbox?window?type normal) (dock?window?type normal)
(activate?on?focus yes)

This means that we wouldn't set the utility window type hint any longer (at least not by default). It was causing a lot of confusion and whoever liked the special treatment that some window managers give these windows can easily change this in the preferences dialog.

Switching to activate-on-focus as the default setting seems to make sense given that most desktops seem to be using "click-to-focus" by default these days. We used to set this to yes for Win32 only but I'd like to avoid different default settings if possible.

So, if you have a strong opinion against this change, please speak up now.

Sven

Nick Lamb
2003-11-25 13:33:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:25:01PM +0100, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

Artificial limitations give the application some shape. A place that a user can stand and from which they can survey the rest of the application. Otherwise why doesn't the context menu in your text editor have an option to download QuickTime movies over UUCP and play them in the toolbar?

Nick.

Sven Neumann
2003-11-25 14:07:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

In most cases, a new user will have two GIMP windows that have more or less the same size: in the current docs, one of them is refered to as "the toolbox" and the other one is just a "dock". Both of them have roughly the same importance: they control what happens to the image, and it is possible to move (almost) all dockable items freely between these windows. Both of them are managed in (almost) the same way.

I don't agree. You are IMO simply putting it the wrong way. There's the toolbox that has the main menu and some other functions that are unique to the toolbox. Then there are docks. As a convenience, some of the dock functionality has been added to the toolbox. Note that the toolbox is not even a full-featured dock since it can't have an image menu. The toolbox is a special window and it is meant to be one. The fact that it can also swallow dockables is just a nice add-on, nothing more.

For what reason do we want to call one of them "the toolbox" and treat it in a special way in the code and in the docs? Why couldn't we call any of the top-level control GIMP windows "a toolbox" or "a dock", without having to care about how this window was created? If the list or grid of tools can be moved to any dock, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use the term "toolbox" for whatever window happens to contain the tool icons?

But why should we make the tool buttons detachable? It would only lead to confusion and wouldn't add any extra value.

So call me thick if you want (or just persistent), but I still do not see a good reason to have this artificial difference between the toolbox and the other docks. The argument from Simon about the "minimal GIMP GUI" seemed interesting at first, but on second thought it is not very good either: as the current toolbox window is also a dock containing several tabs, it is usually far from "minimal".

The default setup for the toolbox is just the tool buttons and the tool options docked to it. We allow the user to add more tabs here but it is certainly not what most people are using.

Sven

Tino Schwarze
2003-11-25 14:42:16 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:33:15PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

The question I'd like to bring up is what should be the default values for these. After quite some discussions I now propose the following:

(toolbox¡¾window¡¾type normal) (dock¡¾window¡¾type normal)
(activate¡¾on¡¾focus yes)

This means that we wouldn't set the utility window type hint any longer (at least not by default). It was causing a lot of confusion and whoever liked the special treatment that some window managers give these windows can easily change this in the preferences dialog.

Switching to activate-on-focus as the default setting seems to make sense given that most desktops seem to be using "click-to-focus" by default these days. We used to set this to yes for Win32 only but I'd like to avoid different default settings if possible.

Although I have a strong opinion against click-to-focus, it's probably the most widely used default and "expert users" are used to changing this setting anyway, so the default makes sense.

However, it would be great, if the window manager's focus policy could be determined and the default changed acccordingly (since activate-on-focus will complicate things with a point-to-focus policy)

Bye, Tino.

David Neary
2003-11-25 15:12:48 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

(toolbox??window??type normal) (dock??window??type normal)
(activate??on??focus yes)

I agree wholehearedly.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-11-25 15:21:57 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de (Tino Schwarze) writes:

However, it would be great, if the window manager's focus policy could be determined and the default changed acccordingly (since activate-on-focus will complicate things with a point-to-focus policy)

Sure, but as far as I know there is no well-established and portable way of getting this piece of information.

Sven

Simon Budig
2003-11-25 15:31:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

[...]

(activate-on-focus yes)

[...]

So, if you have a strong opinion against this change, please speak up now.

I have a strong opinion on that, mainly because I put a lot of thought and discussion effort into the active-view idea when I proposed it.

It basically boils down to:

* (activate-on-focus yes) breaks in the focus-follows-mouse model, since the active view changes randomly when you just move your mouse across the Screen, containing multiple image views.

* (activate-on-focus no) works for both models,

While I agree that (activate-on-focus yes) works better for the click-to-focus model, we should avoid shipping a default with a broken behaviour on focus-follows-mouse models.

Bye, Simon

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-11-25 15:50:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 11:42, Tino Schwarze wrote:

Although I have a strong opinion against click-to-focus, it's probably the most widely used default and "expert users" are used to changing this setting anyway, so the default makes sense.

I had an Horrible Experience (tm) regarding this yesterday.

I was making a title in Gimp 1.3.23, and was using 140pt font. Suddenly, by accident I flipped the mouse wheel over the "unit" listbox ..it changed from PT to IN .... hell came over on my desktop. before I could do much, the keyboard froze as the GIMP tried to allocate more memory than avaliable in the whole city - I managed to xkill the gimp, but the X server remained frozen. I had to remote login and kill the X process.

Since this the whole issue is not strictly related to activate on focus, but on memory consumption by the Text plugin, Sven, do you think it would be feasible to put a warning on the font-size selectors, just as there are when one tries to create an image too large?

Bye, Tino.

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-11-25 16:03:13 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 15:50, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

I was making a title in Gimp 1.3.23, and was using 140pt font. Suddenly, by accident I flipped the mouse wheel over the "unit" listbox ..it changed from PT to IN .... hell came over on my desktop. before I could do much, the keyboard froze as the GIMP tried to allocate more memory than avaliable in the whole city - I managed to xkill the gimp, but the X server remained frozen. I had to remote login and kill the X process.

I believe this is a known issue:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85103

./Brix

Sven Neumann
2003-11-25 16:08:28 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

I had an Horrible Experience (tm) regarding this yesterday.

Since this the whole issue is not strictly related to activate on focus, but on memory consumption by the Text plugin, Sven, do you think it would be feasible to put a warning on the font-size selectors, just as there are when one tries to create an image too large?

This is completely unrelated to the discussion, so please keep it out of it. There's a bug report about it already and it will be taken care of before 2.0.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-11-25 16:18:14 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Henrik Brix Andersen writes:

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 15:50, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

No, that is the wrong bug number. The related bug is #118356 as well as #122707. The bug you mentioned here doesn't affect GIMP-1.3 at all and I just changed the milestone accordingly.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-11-25 16:35:30 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Big fonts make X freeze. Bugs 85103, 118356. Was - Re: Default values for window management settings

No, that is the wrong bug number. The related bug is #118356 as well as #122707. The bug you mentioned here doesn't affect GIMP-1.3 at all and I just changed the milestone accordingly.

Sven

However, you've read what I wrote. What I got was X freezing which seemed quite related to what is listed under 85103.

I am reading the ones you mentioned now: 118356 talks about the problem I faced, and asks, like I did, for a work around. But the deep cause seems to be 85103 nonetheless. I agree that 85103 is out of scope for Gimp at all, and resolving 118356 will do it.

122707 seems to be entirely unrelated to the crashing, and talks about a nice feature.

Sven Neumann
2003-11-25 16:40:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Big fonts make X freeze. Bugs 85103, 118356. Was - Re: Default values for window management settings

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

However, you've read what I wrote. What I got was X freezing which seemed quite related to what is listed under 85103.

Believe me, X11 didn't freeze. What you observed most probably was GIMp dying while it has the pointer grabbed. This looks like a frozen X server but it isn't.

122707 seems to be entirely unrelated to the crashing, and talks about a nice feature.

It is very much related since it will limit the amount of memory allocated to render text.

Sven

Raphaël Quinet
2003-11-25 20:21:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 25 Nov 2003 14:07:12 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Raphaël Quinet writes:

For what reason do we want to call one of them "the toolbox" and treat it in a special way in the code and in the docs? Why couldn't we call any of the top-level control GIMP windows "a toolbox" or "a dock", without having to care about how this window was created? If the list or grid of tools can be moved to any dock, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use the term "toolbox" for whatever window happens to contain the tool icons?

But why should we make the tool buttons detachable? It would only lead to confusion and wouldn't add any extra value.

I was talking about the list or grid of tools (the "Tools" dockable), not the current tool buttons. Currently, we have two ways to display the tool icons: either as buttons (as shown in the current toolbox), or as a dockable list or grid of tools. Although the latter should be improved to have the same features as the current buttons (tooltips), it is more flexible because the user can customize how the icons are displayed. In order to reduce the amount of partially redundant code, we could get rid of the current toolbox replace it by the dockable grid of tools. Then we would call this the "toolbox" and it could be moved to any dock. That's what I tried to explain two messages earlier, in my reply to your first comments. Sorry if that was not clear enough.

So call me thick if you want (or just persistent), but I still do not see a good reason to have this artificial difference between the toolbox and the other docks. The argument from Simon about the "minimal GIMP GUI" seemed interesting at first, but on second thought it is not very good either: as the current toolbox window is also a dock containing several tabs, it is usually far from "minimal".

The default setup for the toolbox is just the tool buttons and the tool options docked to it. We allow the user to add more tabs here but it is certainly not what most people are using.

I thought that "minimal GIMP GUI" was used in the sense of "small", i.e. that it would not take too much space on the screen. Even with a default setup including a single tab, this doubles the amount of space that would otherwise be taken by the toolbox. Adding more tabs does not change the amount of space used, unless this is done by stacking another dock area below the existing one. That's why I wrote that ``a better "minimal GIMP GUI" would only show the toolbox (i.e., just the list or grid of tool icons) and maybe the menu, but not any of the other dockable items.''

Anyway, it looks like neither of us will manage to convince the other one that one user interface model is easier to understand and use than the other one ("toolbox must be special" or "all docks must be equal"). So I propose that we leave it at that for the moment and only revisit this issue if we get significant feedback about this.

-Raphaël

Raphaël Quinet
2003-11-25 20:52:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:31:25 +0100, Simon Budig wrote:

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

* (activate-on-focus yes) breaks in the focus-follows-mouse model, since the active view changes randomly when you just move your mouse across the Screen, containing multiple image views.

This is interesting... I use a WM with focus-follows-mouse, and I think that (activate-on-focus yes) is more useful than (activate-on-focus no), as long as I do not have too many image windows open. If I only have two or three image windows open and I want to do something in the layers dialog for each of them, I find that I can select the right image faster by just moving over it and then back to the layers dialog instead of having to click or type a key in the image window or select the right image from the drop-down list. This does not work so well when there are many images stacked on top of each other so I agree that this option cannot be used all the time for the focus-follows-mouse model, but I would not call this feature "broken" in all cases.

* (activate-on-focus no) works for both models,

It doesn't work so well for the click-to-focus model. Those who use this kind of WMs (this is the default on most platforms and almost the only choice on Windows) are used to cliking on the title bar of a window to activate it because clicking in the window itself could trigger some unwanted action. For those users, the option (activate-on-focus no) makes the GIMP appear to be "broken" because clicking on the title bar or window decoration does not work as in all other applications. As you know, we even got a bug report about this: bug #109527.

So I think that the defaults proposed by Sven are appropriate for the majority of our users. I also think that it would be nicer to set these defaults according to what focus model is used by the current WM, but this is not easy to do. I have some ideas about how to do that (not in all cases, but in a way that would be "good enough") and I hope to be able to integrate this improved installation step into GIMP 2.2.

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2003-11-25 20:53:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

I was talking about the list or grid of tools (the "Tools" dockable), not the current tool buttons. Currently, we have two ways to display the tool icons: either as buttons (as shown in the current toolbox), or as a dockable list or grid of tools. Although the latter should be improved to have the same features as the current buttons (tooltips), it is more flexible because the user can customize how the icons are displayed. In order to reduce the amount of partially redundant code, we could get rid of the current toolbox replace it by the dockable grid of tools. Then we would call this the "toolbox" and it could be moved to any dock. That's what I tried to explain two messages earlier, in my reply to your first comments. Sorry if that was not clear enough.

Actually that list or grid of tools is only there because it was so trivial to add. It's nothing but a completly generic view on the container of GimpToolInfo objects. As it stands it isn't particulary useful. Perhaps it could be extended to become a toolbox editor where you can show/hide tool buttons in the toolbox or rearrange them or reconfigure the tool shortcuts. I don't think it should ever become a toolbox replacement. It was never designed to be that and it would be quite tricky to make it one.

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-11-26 09:43:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

hi, question:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 06:42:21PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Rapha??l Quinet writes:

Exactly and that's why the toolbox is special. It holds the tool buttons, it decides what tool is active, it has the most important menu and for that reason it also creates images when things are dropped there.

What about the tools that only appear in the menus?

carol

Sven Neumann
2003-11-26 10:17:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

They are tools but not in the toolbox, so what?

Actually the toolbox editor that I roughly outlined would allow you to decide for yourself which tools are in the toolbox and which can only be accessed thru the menus.

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-11-26 16:35:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Well ...
On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:17:46AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

They are tools but not in the toolbox, so what?

Actually the toolbox editor that I roughly outlined would allow you to decide for yourself which tools are in the toolbox and which can only be accessed thru the menus.

it was such a thorough discussion of the tools and such, i was interested to see so much exchanged about them and the tools that are only found in menus not mentioned.

are there other instances of tools that do not appear in either the menus or in the toolbox?

carol

Sven Neumann
2003-11-29 12:54:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

are there other instances of tools that do not appear in either the menus or in the toolbox?

No. All tools register a menu entry at least. A few of them set a flag that indicates that they don't want to show up in the toolbox. We should probably make this configurable somehow; perhaps for 2.2.

Does that answer your question?

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-11-29 22:34:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

hiya, thanks for responding,
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:54:12PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

No. All tools register a menu entry at least. A few of them set a flag that indicates that they don't want to show up in the toolbox. We should probably make this configurable somehow; perhaps for 2.2.

Does that answer your question?

having seen alts egg in gimp-1.2, i have no idea what might not show up in the gimp menus. i really thought that someone might 'fess (confess) to having a tool or plug-in included in gimp that does not use the usual registration protocol to get there.

i was sorry to see only one negative and late response here. i wish i had time to try all the different key combinations on all the buttons of all the widgets to see if what you say is true.

one thing i have learned, is that just because i try to do things the right way, it doesn't mean that others have done the same thing.

carol