RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

AUTHORS.xml

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

AUTHORS.xml Carol Spears 19 Nov 02:03
  AUTHORS.xml Sven Neumann 19 Nov 11:13
  AUTHORS.xml Kelly Martin 20 Nov 17:51
   AUTHORS.xml Carol Spears 20 Nov 18:50
Carol Spears
2003-11-19 02:03:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

AUTHORS.xml

We have discussed the AUTHORS file on the irc, briefly.

I am ready and able to make an xml form of it, but there are some questions that need to be addressed first.

1) do we still keep Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis as the authors and everyone else as a contributer? Or everyone could be an AUTHOR or everyone could be considered a CONTRIBUTER. I am unable to have an opinion on this and would really like to hear the opinions of a few others.

2) what sort of information should be included there. it is an interesting area. Some contributers might be looking for jobs (or dates) and would like to have email and homepage and maybe annual income goals -- shoe size, i dunno. Others might want to remain just a name in this list. The question here would be "As a contributer to free software, what would you like to have know about you in this file?"

Let me recap once and see if everyone understands:

AUTHORS will become AUTHORS.xml

1.) Everyone is an or no? 2.) Information about the individuals that should be included like:

Thanks.

carol

Sven Neumann
2003-11-19 11:13:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

AUTHORS.xml

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

2) what sort of information should be included there. it is an interesting area. Some contributers might be looking for jobs (or dates) and would like to have email and homepage and maybe annual income goals -- shoe size, i dunno. Others might want to remain just a name in this list. The question here would be "As a contributer to free software, what would you like to have know about you in this file?"

Let me add one or two sentences on this to avoid confusion. The idea is to keep this file in the source tree, not to install it. It would serve as a database for us and for others who want to know who is actually working on the GIMP project (or has worked on it). What we will probably also do is to generate a list of names from this file to be used by the About dialog.

Sven

Kelly Martin
2003-11-20 17:51:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

AUTHORS.xml

Carol Spears wrote:

1) do we still keep Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis as the authors and everyone else as a contributer? Or everyone could be an AUTHOR or everyone could be considered a CONTRIBUTER. I am unable to have an opinion on this and would really like to hear the opinions of a few others.

I would be offended if Messrs. Kimball and Mattis were no longer listed as the primary authors. I see no reason to deviate from the current practice.

Back in 1999 we weren't able to figure out who some of the people in there were. We left them in anyway, figuring someone had had a good reason to add them. For all I know one of them is Peter's dry cleaner.

The only change I would support is listing the current development lead(s) as "This release brought to you by ...". We didn't do this for 1.0, but I can understand why some people feel that they deserve more than to be listed in a long scroll of people, many of whom they've never even heard of.

Kelly (the only person listed twice in AUTHORS, as far as she knows)

Carol Spears
2003-11-20 18:50:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

AUTHORS.xml

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:51:23AM -0600, Kelly Martin wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

I would be offended if Messrs. Kimball and Mattis were no longer listed as the primary authors. I see no reason to deviate from the current practice.

I always liked the way that the original two authors were kept as the authors. It made me like the app this much more.

I admit, it is a mooshey feeling of rightness. Look at how everything got mixed up in some of the current eh, models. Like I was taught about adam and eve; later someone digs up lilith. I would hate for this to happen with gimp culture.

eh lennon and mccartney are another good example. they went with an alphabetic listing of their names, now paul is on his own to say what he did the most work on and not. craziness.

lets avoid all of that and make a .

carol