RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-help-2 status and suggestions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-help-2 status and suggestions Roman Joost 16 Nov 00:46
  gimp-help-2 status and suggestions Daniel Egger 16 Nov 13:45
   gimp-help-2 status and suggestions Roman Joost 22 Nov 15:11
    gimp-help-2 status and suggestions Daniel Egger 23 Nov 20:19
     gimp-help-2 status and suggestions Roman Joost 24 Nov 00:02
      gimp-help-2 status and suggestions Daniel Egger 24 Nov 18:45
       gimp-help-2 status and suggestions Roman Joost 25 Nov 20:29
Roman Joost
2003-11-16 00:46:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

After the frensh translation made the way into my gimp-help-2 sandbox, Sven and Brix are pointed me to the current directory structure of the module. In my current point of view, the current "help/C" directory is obsolete and should be replaced with a newer structure.

This is the actual structure. I made a "find ./ -type d" in the gimp-help-2 and removed the CVS directorys:

./ ./help
./help/C
./help/C/C
./help/C/de
./help/C/filters
./help/C/filters/blur
./help/C/images
./help/C/images/glossary
./help/C/images/tool-options
./help/C/images/toolbox
./help/C/images/toolbox/de
./help/C/legal
./help/C/toolbox
./help/stylesheets

I recommend the following structure (gimp-help-2 is the top directory):
./
./src
./src/filters
./src/filters/blur
./src/images
./src/images/glossary
./src/images/tool-options
./src/images/toolbox
./src/images/toolbox/de
./src/images/toolbox/fr
./src/images/toolbox/se
./src/legal
./src/toolbox
./src/stylesheets
./html/C
./html/de
./html/fr
./html/se

The "./src" directory contain all the sources, including XML files, stylesheets and images.

I would suggest, that the generated html pages are going into a source seperated directory which is html. I added the "se" directory which isn't in the actual gimp-help-2, but scizzo is on it, to fill out the directory with content in the future. The language dependend image files (like screenshots) are going into seperated directories (./src/images/toolbox/de).

I hope, that i didn't missed something specific. I'm looking forward to hear opinions from all the gimpers.

Additionally, i want to inform you about the status of the gimp-help-2. The gimp-help-2 document the current tools (except the color tools) in german and france, as well as in mostly english. Unfortunately, the english part is mostly undone and i hope, syngin will close the gaps :) Alan Horkan is working on the gfig plugin, which is mostly written. Scizzo invested time, to update the structure of the documentation and how the manual structure should look like when its done.

I think, that we will need a native english speaking person, who can check over the docs. Okey.. people who checking the docs and help the writers are always appreciated.

I added a "whishlist" for users to the gimp wiki. This would help us to stay focused on more important things which are needed by the users.

To sum up, thanks a lot for all the work which is now in the module and people are working on. There is much work to do and i'm looking forward to inform you with all the changes which are changed in the next months.

Thanks and Greetings, --
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de
email: romanjoost@gmx.de

Daniel Egger
2003-11-16 13:45:48 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Am Son, den 16.11.2003 schrieb Roman Joost um 00:46:

This is the actual structure. I made a "find ./ -type d" in the gimp-help-2 and removed the CVS directorys:

Agreed. Howver since a few persons are not too happy with the all-languages-concurrently approach I'd like to hear their opinion first.

The "./src" directory contain all the sources, including XML files, stylesheets and images.

I don't like the stylesheets being in one directory with the source though because everything gets mixed together this way.

german and france, as well as in mostly english. Unfortunately, the english part is mostly undone and i hope, syngin will close the gaps :)

I'm afraid this won't happen and I'm certainly *not* happy about it. :(

Roman Joost
2003-11-22 15:11:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

So i revamped the purposal and it looks now like this:
./
./src
./src/filters
./src/filters/blur
./src/images
./src/images/glossary
./src/images/tool-options
./src/images/toolbox
./src/images/toolbox/de
./src/images/toolbox/fr
./src/images/toolbox/se
./src/legal
./src/toolbox
./stylesheets
./html/C
./html/de
./html/fr
./html/se

I moved the "stylesheets" directory into the source root. I will change it in the next days, after Daniel will give me the ok. No one has declined the new structure purposal, so i think, that everyone on gimp-help-2 gave this implicit OK to change it?

Greetings,

Daniel Egger
2003-11-23 20:19:38 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Nov 22, 2003, at 3:11 pm, Roman Joost wrote:

I moved the "stylesheets" directory into the source root. I will change it in the next days, after Daniel will give me the ok. No one has declined the new structure purposal, so i think, that everyone on gimp-help-2 gave this implicit OK to change it?

Go! :=)

Regarding xinclude: I've a few ideas I'll try the next few hours. It seems
like a really worthwhile feature to me so let's check how portable/stable
it is...

--
Servus,
Daniel

Roman Joost
2003-11-24 00:02:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:19:38PM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:

Go! :=)

Yay!

Regarding xinclude: I've a few ideas I'll try the next few hours. It seems
like a really worthwhile feature to me so let's check how portable/stable
it is...

I tried it with some docs and it rocks. Unfortunately, i'm running into trouble with the german umlauts. Do you've a solution for keeping the umlauts ?

Greetings,

Daniel Egger
2003-11-24 18:45:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Nov 24, 2003, at 12:02 am, Roman Joost wrote:

I tried it with some docs and it rocks. Unfortunately, i'm running into trouble with the german umlauts. Do you've a solution for keeping the umlauts ?

We'll switch to UTF-8 which should solve this problem, unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, of course. :)

-- Servus,
Daniel

Roman Joost
2003-11-25 20:29:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

So, one step ahead to finish the gimp-help-2 move into the new source structure, which finishes the source tree move and add the frensh translation and content from Julien and Raymond. Before i type in my last "cvs commit" i want to verify one exception of my proposal: the image directory.

I want to suggest, that we move the image directory containing all the png files into the html directory (where the generated html files are after a "make") and leave the source images (*.XCF Files which are mostly screenshots) in the /src/images directory as suggested. That seems a bit more reasonable for me, because we're separating the image sources from the normal "content" screenshots. Additionally, we don't need to move them into the /html directory or wherever. Yeah, we're saving one move!

So, if no one are against this suggestion, i'll check them in as i mentioned here. After that, i'll write a status mail of the actual sources.

Greetings,