RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Status of gegl, gimp 3.0?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Piotr Legiecki 05 Nov 10:35
  Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Sven Neumann 05 Nov 12:27
   Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 05 Nov 16:00
    Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Sven Neumann 05 Nov 17:15
     Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Sven Neumann 05 Nov 17:16
   Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Nathan Carl Summers 05 Nov 19:45
    Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Sven Neumann 05 Nov 21:14
    Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Sven Neumann 11 Nov 11:51
     Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Roel Schroeven 11 Nov 13:30
  Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Sven Neumann 05 Nov 12:30
  Status of gegl, gimp 3.0? Branko Collin 05 Nov 13:57
Piotr Legiecki
2003-11-05 10:35:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hello

I'd like to have a glimpse of what and *when* gimp is going to make next big step (after 2.0 release), or in other words when gimp is going to use gegl?

I have just looked at gegl site and it looks quiet, very quiet. Actually it looks just like a year ago ;-( (I mean those % status). Am I looking at wrong (not updated) places?

Regards Piotr Legiecki

Sven Neumann
2003-11-05 12:27:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Piotr Legiecki writes:

I'd like to have a glimpse of what and *when* gimp is going to make next big step (after 2.0 release), or in other words when gimp is going to use gegl?

We are considering a slow migration towards GEGL since we want to avoid another large rewrite of the GIMP that would cause another endless development cycle. So at the moment we consider to start using some parts of GEGL after GIMP-2.0 is out. This does not necessarily mean that GIMP-2.2 will have significantly better support for color spaces or more color precision but it means that the GEGL development will get more momemtum and it will bring us one step closer to these goals.

I have just looked at gegl site and it looks quiet, very quiet. Actually it looks just like a year ago ;-( (I mean those % status). Am I looking at wrong (not updated) places?

Indeed. Websites do rarely say anything useful about the state of development of an open source project. If you had a look at CVS, you'd have noticed that there is indeed development going on.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-11-05 12:30:14 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

one more thing: Would you mind to finally add the information to Bugzilla that I keep asking for? You are opening bug reports and people express their interest to implement the features you are asking for. But when asking for more feedback, you keep quiet. This is certainly not a good way to motivate developers.

Sven

Branko Collin
2003-11-05 13:57:50 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 5 Nov 2003, at 10:35, Piotr Legiecki wrote:

Sometimes Calvin needs to be prodded and poked a little to make him update the web site. I am sure if you asked him politely, he would update the site.

A much better source for checking out what's going on with GEGL (although not for a 'where are we now?' type of overview) is the CVS tree. See for instance

(or other views at ). As you can see from the Changelog, it's mostly one person working at it, although he keeps working at it steadily. There are several other people involved though. They are on this list, so they might tell you more.

Good luck,

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-11-05 16:00:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:27:04PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

avoid another large rewrite of the GIMP that would cause another endless development cycle. So at the moment we consider to start using some parts of GEGL after GIMP-2.0 is out. This does not necessarily mean that GIMP-2.2 will have significantly better support for color

Looking at the subject, I'd certainly say that the version that a) integrates gegl and b) makes full use of it (La*b*, fixed & floatingpoint etc.) would certainly qualify to be gimp-3.0 (I'd even say a major bump is a must) :)

Sven Neumann
2003-11-05 17:15:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

writes:

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:27:04PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

avoid another large rewrite of the GIMP that would cause another endless development cycle. So at the moment we consider to start using some parts of GEGL after GIMP-2.0 is out. This does not necessarily mean that GIMP-2.2 will have significantly better support for color

Looking at the subject, I'd certainly say that the version that a) integrates gegl and b) makes full use of it (La*b*, fixed & floatingpoint etc.) would certainly qualify to be gimp-3.0 (I'd even say a major bump is a must) :)

Agreed. However this doesn't keep us from starting to use some GEGL functionality earlier. This is all undecided yet but we consider to start by replacing GimpColor with GeglColor.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-11-05 17:16:40 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

I wrote:

we consider to start by replacing GimpColor with GeglColor.

^^^^^^^^^
That should read GimpRGB of course.

Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2003-11-05 19:45:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 5 Nov 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Piotr Legiecki writes:

Indeed. Websites do rarely say anything useful about the state of development of an open source project. If you had a look at CVS, you'd have noticed that there is indeed development going on.

Which brings up an interesting question -- how can an open source project accurately represent what is going on in developmentland on its web site? It's more of a question to ponder -- I don't have the answer myself. On first thought, a todo list with progress bars and lists of current scarry bugs would be good, and a Kernel Cousin-like newslog could be good, too.

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2003-11-05 21:14:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers writes:

Which brings up an interesting question -- how can an open source project accurately represent what is going on in developmentland on its web site? It's more of a question to ponder -- I don't have the answer myself. On first thought, a todo list with progress bars and lists of current scarry bugs would be good, and a Kernel Cousin-like newslog could be good, too.

http://developer.gimp.org/ChangeLog http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=GIMP&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=GIMP&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_severity=enhancement

All these are linked from the gimp.org web-site. We tried the nicer looking TODO.xml (and it's HTML counterpart) for a while but it didn't work and other projects that tried it, abandoned the idea as well.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-11-11 11:51:08 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Which brings up an interesting question -- how can an open source project accurately represent what is going on in developmentland on its web site?

One thing I could imagine would be some sort of regular news update on GIMP development. Similar to kernel-cousin (you mentioned that already) or the Abiword Weekly News
(http://www.abisource.com/information/news/).

If someone was willing to do such a thing, that would of course be very much appreciated. I would volunteer to help by reviewing the information and by answering technical questions. This job probably involves following the mailing-lists, following GIMP development in CVS, reading the ChangeLogs and compiling the very latest version (in order to produce nice screenshots of new features). So if there's anyone listening who is doing all this anyway, perhaps that someone wants to become famous for writing a regular summary on GIMP development ?

Sven

Roel Schroeven
2003-11-11 13:30:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Which brings up an interesting question -- how can an open source project accurately represent what is going on in developmentland on its web site?

One thing I could imagine would be some sort of regular news update on GIMP development. Similar to kernel-cousin (you mentioned that already) or the Abiword Weekly News
(http://www.abisource.com/information/news/).

Something like that once existed, but sadly it's asleep now: http://kt.zork.net/asleep.html