RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

another hack: Message Window(s)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

another hack: Message Window(s) Sven Neumann 26 Oct 02:47
  another hack: Message Window(s) Sven Neumann 26 Oct 02:53
Sven Neumann
2003-10-26 02:47:14 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

here's another thing that I thought would be a nice hack for someone who wants to play with the GIMP code w/o going into too much detail. Some interest in GTK+ is required though.

Everyone hates it when two or three error messages popup for a single error. You end up seeing the last error message first and have to click your way to the one that probably explains what went wrong in the first place.

The error console is a good way to work around this problem. But then it's a bit too hidden and it takes place in a dock. Wouldn't it be nice if the message window had the error console embedded? What I imagine is the error console as a widget that is used from the Errors dockable and from the GUI message handler. Alternatively this can be implemented in a simpler fashion by adding labels to a vbox in a scrolled window.

I drew a simple mockup to illustrate the idea. It shows the simple case of two messages only. If more messages arrive while the dialog is open a scrollbar would have to appear:

http://sven.gimp.org/gimp-message-mockup.png

So if someone is interested, please tell the list. Perhaps there should also be a bug-report about this issue...

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-10-26 02:53:56 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

I wrote earlier:

Perhaps there should also be a bug-report about this issue...

There is this one: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92604

Sven