RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

1.3.x milestone bugs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

1.3.x milestone bugs David Neary 21 Oct 20:45
  1.3.x milestone bugs Patrick McFarland 22 Oct 04:23
   1.3.x milestone bugs David Neary 22 Oct 10:04
  1.3.x milestone bugs Sven Neumann 24 Oct 10:56
   1.3.x milestone bugs David Neary 24 Oct 11:11
    1.3.x milestone bugs Sven Neumann 24 Oct 11:46
     1.3.x milestone bugs David Odin 24 Oct 18:22
    1.3.x milestone bugs Branko Collin 24 Oct 14:09
     1.3.x milestone bugs David Neary 24 Oct 16:42
David Neary
2003-10-21 20:45:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

Hi all,

As many of you have noticed, I'm sure, we have over-run considerably the date we originally intended having a pre-release.

In consultation with Sven, I thought it would be constructive to put together a list of bugzilla bugs that are still in the 1.3.x milestone, so that we can get as many people as possible working on issues that are considered blockers. I'm sure that everyone now wants to see a pre-release out there as quicly as possible - particularly given that if we don't have one by Hallowe'en, then a 2.0 release before Christmas becomes much less likely.

Here is the Bugzilla list of 1.3.x milestoned bugs (there are 12 currently, although there may be 13 in a while).

ID Summary 51108 [TRACKING] Hidden tool options (missing docs + should be visible in the UI)
78064 Entering large dimensions in Scale Image causes fatal error
113033 Thumbnail PDB API for Plug-Ins 125008 PDB-API for gimp_path_get_points returns only 1/3 of the pathpoint details.
125101 "Divide" layer mode makes everything green 125141 Deprecate libgimpmisc
125142 Make libgimp 64 bit clean
125143 gimp_dialog_new () implementation 125144 Text transforms
125145 Text boxes
58507 Translators should mentioned somewhere (maybe in help->about like in nautilus)
66367 Improved animoptimize for RLE or LZW compression 71514 GUI / Functionality Separation 116606 gradients not saved until quit 118547 Convert Text Layer To Pixels / Render Text Layer 119824 Indexed palette sorting functionality 122707 Text: can't make smaller boundary size of block

Aside from that, mitch is currently working on the font list to get that into good shape (as far as I know he's almost finished with it).

Some of these bugs could use fleshing out. Basically, that leaves 17 bugs before we can release a pre-release. Some of those I know very little about, and perhaps one or two could be bumped to a later release. But for the most part this is more or less in line with the guidelines for what were agreed as blockers in camp.

Looking at the changelog recently, it's clear that the lion's share of the work is currently being done by Sven and mitch. It would be very nice to have people claim outstanding items, and do them, in the next few days, so that we can get a gimp we're proud to release quickly.

Cheers,
Dave.

Patrick McFarland
2003-10-22 04:23:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

On 21-Oct-2003, David Neary wrote:

118547 Convert Text Layer To Pixels / Render Text Layer

Wow, my bug is so important, its listed.

David Neary
2003-10-22 10:04:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

Patrick McFarland wrote:

On 21-Oct-2003, David Neary wrote:

Wow, my bug is so important, its listed.

It's one of the features that is planned for the text tool before 2.0, so yeah. :)

The workaround that I use, and which I added to a comment, is to duplicate the layer, clear one copy, and then merge the two copies. The merge kills the text attribute, the duplicate makes sure that the merged layer is the same size as the original text layer, and merging with a transparent layer is a no-op.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-10-24 10:56:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

Hi,

here are some comments on the list of bugs that David Neary posted:

113033 Thumbnail PDB API for Plug-Ins

I am working on this one. Yeah, I keep saying that for a while but the code isn't ready for CVS and at some point I lost interest. But I'm sure I will get back to it soon.

125008 PDB-API for gimp_path_get_points returns only 1/3 of the pathpoint details.

There is a patch in bugzilla that should IMO be applied.

125101 "Divide" layer mode makes everything green

Helevetix fixed this one (well, he disabled acceleration for Divide mode until there's a real fix).

125141 Deprecate libgimpmisc

Someone should check what functions are in libgimpmisc.h and libgimpmiscui.h. Everything that seems very useful and has a clean API should be moved to a final place (and be documented). The rest of the functions can stay. We then change the Makefile.am not to install these headers and link the functionality directly into the plug-ins (see how it is done for libgck). This also means that the plug-ins using these functions will have to include the header files from the source tree explicitely.

125144 Text transforms
125145 Text boxes

These two are high on my list and both are halfway implemented already.

58507 Translators should mentioned somewhere (maybe in help->about like in nautilus)

It looks like Simon seems interested in redoing the About dialog. Simon, is this correct?

71514 GUI / Functionality Separation

We bumped this one. Of course it would be nice to get it in, but it's not a blocker.

That one shouldn't be hard. The tricky part is where to add that function to the menus? Should probably be added to the Layers dialog in some hackish way.

119824 Indexed palette sorting functionality

IIRC, this change is in CVS now.

122707 Text: can't make smaller boundary size of block

That should be solved with #125145. Looks basically like a duplicate.

I think it would be cool if you could post regular updates on this list.

Sven

David Neary
2003-10-24 11:11:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

Hi Sven,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Will do. How regular? Each time a bug on the list is resolved? Given that there are so few, I think this is reasonable... Or when someone claims a bug and starts working on it, to avoid duplication of effort?

I got a mail from David Odin proposing to work on some of the API clean-up (specifically, he proposed addressing the gimp_dialog_new () bug) - I asked him to send the same mail to the list.

I misunderstood quite badly some things with respect to the libgimp API problems, though, so he may not know what he's letting himself in for :)

By the way, I seem to recall you saying that yosh and/or mitch were working on a proposal for the API clean-up - is that correct? If so, what is the status of that?

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-10-24 11:46:13 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

Hi,

David Neary writes:

I got a mail from David Odin proposing to work on some of the API clean-up (specifically, he proposed addressing the gimp_dialog_new () bug) - I asked him to send the same mail to the list.

Mitch is working on this already and said he will return from his short vacation with a new GimpDialog API. He's supposed to return somewhen this weekend.

Sven

Branko Collin
2003-10-24 14:09:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

On 24 Oct 2003, at 11:11, David Neary wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

Will do. How regular? Each time a bug on the list is resolved? Given that there are so few, I think this is reasonable... Or when someone claims a bug and starts working on it, to avoid duplication of effort?

Not wanting to butt in, but 'each week' seems a more sensible metric. That way, if progress on several bugs is stalled for some reason, you can say so, and others can see if they might be able to help. Also, it forces you to look at what the actual progress is.

David Neary
2003-10-24 16:42:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

Hi,

Branko Collin wrote:

On 24 Oct 2003, at 11:11, David Neary wrote:

How [regularly should I report progress on 1.3.x blockers]? Each time a bug on the list is resolved? Given that there are so few, I think this is reasonable... Or when someone claims a bug and starts working on it, to avoid duplication of effort?

Not wanting to butt in, but 'each week' seems a more sensible metric.

If we're talking on the list, it's because we want feedback, as well as keeping everyone informed, so you're not butting in at all.

I disagree that once a week is often enough. The list I posted was from 3 days ago, and already several of the bugs have been addressed. In addition, someone indicated that they wanted to work on a bug which someone else is already working on.

That way, if progress on several bugs is stalled for some reason, you can say so, and others can see if they might be able to help. Also, it forces you to look at what the actual progress is.

Given that we're already behind our provisional schedule, and we're going to be cutting it close for a 2.0 this year, I would hope that the list will be very short next week...

There are several bugs that could be addressed by anyone with some time to spend. It would be nice if some people piped up and claimed one. Of the outstanding bugs, I think that 125141 (following on from the comments of Sven) and 116606 are quite easily doable. Who feels like implementing instantaneous save of GimpItems and attacking libgimpmisc*?

(hint: that was an invitation to pipe up)

Cheers, Dave.

David Odin
2003-10-24 18:22:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

1.3.x milestone bugs

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:46:13AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

David Neary writes:

Mitch is working on this already and said he will return from his short vacation with a new GimpDialog API. He's supposed to return somewhen this weekend.

I guess some of the problems are the allow_shrink, allow_grow, and auto_shrink parameters to gimp_dialog_new() which are tied to the deprecated gtk_window_set_policy() function.

I will wait for Mitch before trying anything.

Regards,

DindinX