RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Jeff Trefftzs 08 Oct 19:43
  gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Sven Neumann 09 Oct 13:37
   gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Ville Pätsi 09 Oct 16:31
    gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Jeff Trefftzs 09 Oct 21:22
     gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Tim Mooney 10 Oct 01:06
      gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Jeff Trefftzs 10 Oct 03:10
  gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Joao S. O. Bueno 10 Oct 03:28
  gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure problems Owen 10 Oct 06:26
Jeff Trefftzs
2003-10-08 19:43:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Monday I downloaded the latest gimp-1.3.21, expecting to be able to have a sparkling new version to play with by sometime that afternoon. No such luck. I'm running into the following problem:

checking PANGOFT2_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
checking PANGOFT2_LIBS... -Wl,--export-dynamic -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 checking for fontconfig >= 2.2.0... Requested 'fontconfig >= 2.2.0' but version
of Fontconfig is 1.0.1

configure: error: Library requirements (fontconfig >= 2.2.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

So far this loks straightforward -- I need a later version of fontconfig, right? So I go download the fontconfig-2.2.1-4.i386.rpm and the fontcnfig-devel-2.2.1-4.i386.rpm from RedHat and try to upgrade. Well, the upgrade doesn't quite work:

[root@thoth RPMS]# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage fontconfig*2.1-9*.rpm Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:fontconfig ########################################### [ 50%]
error: %post(fontconfig-2.1-9) scriptlet failed, exit status 127 2:fontconfig-devel ########################################### [100%]

But after a little fiddling I seem to have 2.2.1-9 installed. But then I cannot get past the gtk+ tests, bacause there's a problem with FT_Get_BDF_Property being undefined in /usr/lib/fontconfig.so.1.

After two days of beating my head against this, I'm asking for help. I must be doing something wrong, probably something really simple, but it feels like I'm looking at the problem from the wrong angle.

Does gimp-1.3.21 suddenly need fontconfig-2.2.0 or greater, where gimp-1.3.20 didn't? Am I somehow screwing up the rpm upgrade from the original RH9 install (fontconfig-2.1-9)? If so, how should I try to get rpm to upgrade when there are dependencies like fontconfig/fontconfig-devel involved? Or is my download somehow corrupt and I should try it again?

TIA,

Sven Neumann
2003-10-09 13:37:18 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

Does gimp-1.3.21 suddenly need fontconfig-2.2.0 or greater, where gimp-1.3.20 didn't?

It turned out that GIMP-1.3.20 already needed it. It crashed on people that tried to use it with earlier fontconfig versions. That's why we added a compile time check and require a current version now.

I have however no idea why you are having these problems when upgrading. Perhaps someone more familiar with RedHat can shed some light on this?

Sven

Ville Pätsi
2003-10-09 16:31:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 14:37, Sven Neumann wrote:

I have however no idea why you are having these problems when upgrading. Perhaps someone more familiar with RedHat can shed some light on this?

One can get fontconfig 2.2 from Red Hat Rawhide. It works fine on RH9.

I have added an example link to the GIMP RPMs download page at: http://www.gnome.org/~drc/gimp-rpms/

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-10-09 21:22:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 07:31, Ville Pätsi wrote:

On the off-chance that this would solve the problem, I have just downloaded and re-installed both the fontconfig-2.2.1-4 and fontconfig-devel-2.2.1-4 RPMs. Just to make sure, I also upgraded atk and atk-devel, and pango and pango-devel to the most recent RPMs from rawhide. Everything installs fine except for the fontconfig package, which fails in the post-install script:

error: %post(fontconfig-2.2.1-4) scriptlet failed, exit status 127

The scriptlet seems to be a simple fc-cache -f command, which fails with the following error message:

fc-cache: relocation error: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Get_BDF_Property

I checked the state of /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1, which is a symlink to /usr/lib/libfontcnfig.so.1.0.4, which hasn't been updated since June. This makes me think that the fontconfig package isn't really getting properly installed, or at least not updating the library properly.

Am I correct in thinking that my shared library isn't getting updated? Can someone tell me what the proper version of libfontconfig should be for fontconfig-2.2.1? And should I perhaps try to recompile the fontconfig library from sources and install it manually?

Baffled in California,

Tim Mooney
2003-10-10 01:06:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

In regard to: Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure...:

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 07:31, Ville Pätsi wrote:

On the off-chance that this would solve the problem, I have just downloaded and re-installed both the fontconfig-2.2.1-4 and fontconfig-devel-2.2.1-4 RPMs. Just to make sure, I also upgraded atk and atk-devel, and pango and pango-devel to the most recent RPMs from rawhide. Everything installs fine except for the fontconfig package, which fails in the post-install script:

error: %post(fontconfig-2.2.1-4) scriptlet failed, exit status 127

The scriptlet seems to be a simple fc-cache -f command, which fails with the following error message:

fc-cache: relocation error: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Get_BDF_Property

I checked the state of /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1, which is a symlink to /usr/lib/libfontcnfig.so.1.0.4, which hasn't been updated since June. This makes me think that the fontconfig package isn't really getting properly installed, or at least not updating the library properly.

You can't really rely on timestamps, since they will likely be preserved by RPM (which uses cpio as the internal mechanism for packaging/transport).

The problem isn't your fontconfig, the problem is freetype. FT_Get_BDF_Property is defined in recent FreeType -- looks like you need to upgrade that first.

Tim

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-10-10 03:10:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:06, Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-1.3.21, fontconfig-2.2+ configure...:

You can't really rely on timestamps, since they will likely be preserved by RPM (which uses cpio as the internal mechanism for packaging/transport).

The problem isn't your fontconfig, the problem is freetype. FT_Get_BDF_Property is defined in recent FreeType -- looks like you need to upgrade that first.

Thanks. That did it. Maybe configure should check for freetype >= 2.1.4? My installation was still at 2.1.3, which obviously didn't work. Anyway, I'm now up to date from rawhide, and busy compiling gimp-1.3.21.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-10-10 03:28:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 2:43 pm, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

Hi,

On Monday I downloaded the latest gimp-1.3.21, expecting to be able to have a sparkling new version to play with by sometime that afternoon. No such luck. I'm running into the following problem:

checking PANGOFT2_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
checking PANGOFT2_LIBS... -Wl,--export-dynamic -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 checking for fontconfig >= 2.2.0... Requested 'fontconfig >= 2.2.0' but version
of Fontconfig is 1.0.1

configure: error: Library requirements (fontconfig >= 2.2.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

So far this loks straightforward -- I need a later version of fontconfig, right? So I go download the fontconfig-2.2.1-4.i386.rpm and the
fontcnfig-devel-2.2.1-4.i386.rpm from RedHat and try to upgrade. Well, the upgrade doesn't quite work:

Mandrake 9.1 here. The update went smoothly when I set mandrake cooker as a media to URPMI. No News Good News all the way until the GIMP got running.

On thing you might try is to pick up MDK rpms...or better, compile fontconfig yourself.

Regards,

JS ->

Owen
2003-10-10 06:26:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 08 Oct 2003 10:43:26 -0700
Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

In my case with Mdk 9.1, I downloaded fontconfig-2.2.0.tar.gz but had trouble installing it.

1. I had to configure with --disable-docs 2. It exited in make while trying to do something with /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript (possibly because of a sym link in the directory). Removed the ghostscript directory and all was well. 1.3.21 then built normally. 3. I notice I have freetype-2.1.5.tar.bz2 in the build directory, so guess must have needed that as well.

So far so good

Owen