RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

new web project

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

1064578223.6903.44.camel@ps... 07 Oct 20:22
  new web project Raphaël Quinet 26 Sep 18:34
   new web project Branko Collin 26 Sep 21:06
    new web project Raphaël Quinet 26 Sep 21:44
3F712DEC.4050205@gimp.org 07 Oct 20:22
20030924060732.GA55762@gui.org 07 Oct 20:22
20030924151633.31caa77b.qui... 07 Oct 20:22
20030924205617.GA60774@gui.org 07 Oct 20:22
20030925144050.1005db5d.qui... 07 Oct 20:22
Raphaël Quinet
2003-09-26 18:34:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

new web project

[Note: I am adding the gimp-developer list to the CC:. For those who missed the context of this thread and might be puzzled by some of the statements quoted below, the quick summary is that it started with Carol telling Niklas that he was fired from the gimp-web team. Also, the subject "new web project" came from Carol's announcement about a new project for a gimp web site. All this discussion should be available from the gimp-web archives when the list archives are resurrected. Niklas' message, to which I am replying below, is a followup to a request for a README file in the gimp-web CVS module.]

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:10:23 +0200, Niklas Mattisson wrote:

Yes I did write that http://information.gimp.kicks-ass.org/ and it is still online however like I said before in a mail, I am not in the gimp-web team anymore instead I have joined the gimp-help team for the User Docs and I have been looking at the wiki a lot now to try to help them with this. Sorry but I can't work with a team that does not work as a team.

I understand your frustration. But as you have seen in the replies to your previous message with the subject "Not quitting but fired", Carol had no authority to fire you. I hope that you will come back and help with the web site.

Enough about that discussion. Now I make a README that would use this information and put it in the module. However this could be done even though the site moves. My question is: Why the site is not moved yet?

I don't know. Several people worked hard in the last days to update the new site and fix all the broken links, especially after the request from Mitch to do it "now". On Tuesday, I posted the status update saying that the site was ready.

I thought it would have been moved last weekend or at least this week. Is there anything holding it back? Yosh said he was to tired to do admin thingys last Sunday and this I can understand a lot.

Is there anything important that is holding the site back?

I am a bit confused now, that's why I am cross-posting this to the gimp-developer list because some of the developers may have some clues about what is happening (I hope).

I suppose that Yosh is simply too busy. I can understand that: I had a hellish week at work and I did not sleep much in the last days. If Yosh is in a similar situation, I understand that he does not have much spare time for moving the site.

There could also be some other problems, such as lack of disk space for the move (one disk was full on wilber a few days ago) or some problems moving some user accounts.

Another theory (please take your tinfoil hat) would be that the move has been blocked because some of those who worked on it some time ago do not want it to move anymore and have requested that the move does not take place. I don't know if there is any truth in that, but I was a bit worried by Carol asking how the gimp-web module could be removed from cvs and saying: "mmmaybe will never move. it will never be wgo. play with it all you want, it is not worth the three hours it will take to move it." It is difficult for me to imagine a "team" of gimp-web contributors lobbying for their own work to be forgotten, but maybe this is happening and all these secret discussions are taking place outside the list? Who knows? ;-) Seriously, I hope that this is not happening. A lot of good work has been put in this site by all those who contributed to it (including Helvetix, scizzo, Carol, Bex, drc, brix, Branko and others) and it would be a shame to sabotage all that.

Or are people working on getting it moved?

I am still hoping... If it is simply a question of lack of time, then it will hopefully move during the next few days. If not, then I would like to know if there is any other reason that would prevent the switch from taking place.

From my point of view (as gimp-web coordinator), the site is ready to

be moved. There are some parts that still need some work (various FIXMEs) but they can be fixed later.

-Raphaël

Branko Collin
2003-09-26 21:06:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

new web project

On 26 Sep 2003, at 18:34, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

[Note: I am adding the gimp-developer list to the CC:. For those who missed the context of this thread and might be puzzled by some of the statements quoted below, the quick summary is that it started with Carol telling Niklas that he was fired from the gimp-web team. Also, the subject "new web project" came from Carol's announcement about a new project for a gimp web site. All this discussion should be available from the gimp-web archives when the list archives are resurrected. Niklas' message, to which I am replying below, is a followup to a request for a README file in the gimp-web CVS module.]

[snip Raphael's reply]

I was going to reply in almost the exact same way, but Raphael beat me to it. So basically this is a 'me too'. The difference would have been that I would have cc'ed Yosh, rather than the developers' list. :-)

Yosh, are you subscribed to gimp-web? Maybe you should be during the transition period.

Raphaël Quinet
2003-09-26 21:44:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

new web project

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:06:45 +0200, "Branko Collin" wrote:

I was going to reply in almost the exact same way, but Raphael beat me to it. So basically this is a 'me too'. The difference would have been that I would have cc'ed Yosh, rather than the developers' list. :-)

Hmmm... Yes. But after reading the comments in bug #121299, I saw that several other developers were interested in what was happening to the web site. Since I do not know exactly who is subscribed to the gimp-web list, I thought that the developer's list was the easiest (although indirect) way to check if they had heard of something that I had not.

Anyway, I am replying because I forgot to add a little note in my previous message: I spent a large share of my spare time in the last days fixing the new web site because I thought that it would move "now". It was ready on Monday, and I posted a message on Tuesday giving a summary of the recent changes and saying that it was ready. I haven't done much on the site since then because I thought that it could be moved at any time and I didn't want to break anything during the move. Seeing it go live would help me to re-motivate myself to fix the remaining issues. I am not saying that I will not do anything until the site is launched (that would be stupid), but I would be more motivated to work on it if I knew that the work is not done in vain. I suppose that I am not alone with that opinion and those who have contributed to the web site (and the GIMP itself) have probably experienced the same feelings at various points in time.

-Raphaël