RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-1.3.19 ./configure failure oddity

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-1.3.19 ./configure failure oddity Jeff Trefftzs 31 Aug 23:58
  gimp-1.3.19 ./configure failure oddity Sven Neumann 02 Sep 16:31
20030904202628.8793310556@l... 07 Oct 20:22
  gimp-1.3.19 ./configure failure oddity Keith Goatman 05 Sep 10:41
Jeff Trefftzs
2003-08-31 23:58:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Greetings Gimp Gurus,

I have run into a baffling problem when trying to compile the gimp (1.2.5 and 1.3.x) on a RH9 system. As far as I can tell, it seems limited to the gimp: I can configure and compile other tarballs without any problem. What makes it weird is the workaround. Details follow.

When I have /usr/local/lib in my search path (as I usually do, via /etc/ld.so.conf and /sbin/ldconfig) the gimp configure step hiccups:

... config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
./config.status: line 1332: 29673 Segmentation fault sed -f $tmp/undefs.sed $tmp/in >$tmp/out
config.status: executing depfiles commands ...

and config.h doesn't get built. Somehow, somewhere, something is crashing sed. If I take /usr/local/lib out of my library path, it all works. My initial thought was that there were duplicate libraries between /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib, but I haven't found any. When I checked configure.log, there was no hint of any trouble.

I have noticed that /sbin/ldconfig complains that a number of libgphoto_xxx.so.0 files aren't symlinks, but they all seem to be actual executables. How this relates I have no idea.

An additional effect that I have noticed only with the gimp, is that make crashes repeatedly during the compile. I was wondering if this meant I was running out of temp disk, but I still have close to 2G left on the root filesystem, so that isn't it; I have tried compiling with and without /usr/local/lib in the ld.so.conf file and both compiles crash (segfault) after compiling for a long time. Note that if I simply reissue the make command the compile picks up where it left off, and eventually I get a brand new gimp.

Has anybody seen problems like these, and can you suggest any possible causes or other places to look? It's not a show-stopper, but it certainly has been leaving me baffled.

TIA,

Sven Neumann
2003-09-02 16:31:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

An additional effect that I have noticed only with the gimp, is that make crashes repeatedly during the compile. I was wondering if this meant I was running out of temp disk, but I still have close to 2G left on the root filesystem, so that isn't it; I have tried compiling with and without /usr/local/lib in the ld.so.conf file and both compiles crash (segfault) after compiling for a long time. Note that if I simply reissue the make command the compile picks up where it left off, and eventually I get a brand new gimp.

Has anybody seen problems like these, and can you suggest any possible causes or other places to look? It's not a show-stopper, but it certainly has been leaving me baffled.

This sounds very much like a hardware problem. Unsufficient cooling or corrupted memory could be the cause. It's not too unlikely that such problems only show up when compiling a large software package such as The GIMP. You could do some tests compiling other software such as the kernel or XFree86.

Sven

Keith Goatman
2003-09-05 10:41:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann writes:

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

An additional effect that I have noticed only with the gimp, is that make crashes repeatedly during the compile. I was wondering if this meant I was running out of temp disk, but I still have close to 2G

left

on the root filesystem, so that isn't it; I have tried compiling with and without /usr/local/lib in the ld.so.conf file and both compiles crash (segfault) after compiling for a long time. Note that if I

simply

reissue the make command the compile picks up where it left off, and eventually I get a brand new gimp.

This sounds very much like a hardware problem. Unsufficient cooling or corrupted memory could be the cause. It's not too unlikely that such problems only show up when compiling a large software package such as The GIMP. You could do some tests compiling other software such as the kernel or XFree86.

It's a long-shot, but I had exactly this problem when I was using libsafe. Disabling it for the configure and compile fixed it.

Keith