RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Raphaël Quinet 26 Aug 15:07
  Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Joao S. O. Bueno 26 Aug 16:51
   Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Jonathan C. Sitte 26 Aug 21:30
  Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Matteo Nastasi 26 Aug 17:14
  Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Raphaël Quinet 26 Aug 17:26
  Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Simon.Budig@unix-ag.org 26 Aug 18:05
  Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Henrik Brix Andersen 26 Aug 18:27
  Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Nathan Carl Summers 26 Aug 19:12
   Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Raphaël Quinet 26 Aug 19:36
    Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Manish Singh 02 Sep 19:39
  Proposal for protesting against software patents in Europe Kai-Uwe Behrmann 27 Aug 11:19
Raphaël Quinet
2003-08-26 15:07:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Well, this may be a bit controversial, but I thought about supporting the demonstration against software patents in Europe by replacing the GIMP home page by the following page: http://www.gimp.org/nopatents.html I prepared that page a couple of days ago, but now I see that the announcement about the protest has been posted on Slashdot and several other sites. So maybe it is time to put it on the home page, unless most people here are against this kind of online protest. The GIMP web site is in the U.S. so this may not be so relevant. But on the other hand, several of the most active GIMP developers are living and working in Europe.

Is anybody against that kind of action on the GIMP web site? If there is any strong opposition against it, then there is no need to have a long debate: I will simply forget about it. Otherwise, I would like to replace the home page of www.gimp.org later today (let's say in three or four hours).

-Raphaël

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-26 16:51:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

As far as I am concerned, I'd be pleased to see it there.

If they aprove it in Europe, it will be a matter of a few months before they catch on here (Brazil). We are at risk even with Europe being free.

Regards,

JS ->

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 10:07 am, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

http://www.gimp.org/nopatents.html

Matteo Nastasi
2003-08-26 17:14:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

MiLUG's associates (Milano Linux Users Group - Italy) do appreciate a lot what you're doing.

Best regards, mop.

Raphaël Quinet
2003-08-26 17:26:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Grumble... It took more than one hour and a half for my message to be distributed by the mailing lists (gimp-developer and gimp-web). If you reply to my message, maybe you should exceptionally also include a CC to me, so that I can get your message before tomorrow.

I have already received some direct replies and they were all positive. So unless there are any major objections, I am planning to change the symlink to the index page in one hour and a half from now, which would be around 19:00 MET (Brussels, Paris, Berlin, ...).

-Raphaël

Simon.Budig@unix-ag.org
2003-08-26 18:05:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Raphaël Quinet (quinet@gamers.org) wrote:

Is anybody against that kind of action on the GIMP web site? If there is any strong opposition against it, then there is no need to have a long debate: I will simply forget about it. Otherwise, I would like to replace the home page of www.gimp.org later today (let's say in three or four hours).

Please go for it! Maybe even remove the "Click here to go to the GIMP website" link...

Bye,
Simon

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-08-26 18:27:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 15:07, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

I think it's a good idea... we should show our support in one way or another - this sounds like a good way to me.

Sincerely, ./Brix

Nathan Carl Summers
2003-08-26 19:12:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

Well, this may be a bit controversial,

I don't think that there is any disagreement about software patents among the major gimp developers.

but I thought about supporting the demonstration against software patents in Europe by replacing the GIMP home page by the following page: http://www.gimp.org/nopatents.html I prepared that page a couple of days ago, but now I see that the announcement about the protest has been posted on Slashdot and several other sites. So maybe it is time to put it on the home page, unless most people here are against this kind of online protest.

The GIMP web site is in the U.S. so this may not be so relevant. But on the other hand, several of the most active GIMP developers are living and working in Europe.

I doubt anyone cares where the server is physically located. I'm an USsian, and I care about software patents in europe (as well as the US).

Is anybody against that kind of action on the GIMP web site?

No, I'm very much for it.

If there is any strong opposition against it, then there is no need to have a long debate: I will simply forget about it. Otherwise, I would like to replace the home page of www.gimp.org later today (let's say in three or four hours).

Before doing that, please correct two nits: 1. Change "well-documented" to "well-researched" or "well-written," depending on what you meant. Well-documented is not idiomatic English.

2. Make the "no ePatents" graphic point at something.

Rockwalrus

Raphaël Quinet
2003-08-26 19:36:55 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:12:46 -0700 (PDT), Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

[...] Otherwise, I would
like to replace the home page of www.gimp.org later today (let's say in three or four hours).

Before doing that, please correct two nits: 1. Change "well-documented" to "well-researched" or "well-written," depending on what you meant. Well-documented is not idiomatic English.

I replaced it with "well-written". Thanks for the correction. It is very useful to have native English speakers around...

2. Make the "no ePatents" graphic point at something.

I made it point to the EuroLinux petition page.

Since all feedback I got so far has been positive, I have implemented the change and replaced the symlink to the index page. It's a pity that the mailing list is so slow, though. Some messages posted more than two hours ago haven't been distributed yet. This is probably due to the SoBig worm or something like that.

Maybe we will never have to put the old index page back in place. Who knows, maybe mmmaybe will be ready very soon?

-Raphaël

Jonathan C. Sitte
2003-08-26 21:30:40 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

If they aprove it in Europe, it will be a matter of a few months before they catch on here (Brazil). We are at risk even with Europe being free.

Do it or we will all be slaves soon.

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-08-27 11:19:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi Raphaël,

my wishes are with You and this protest.

Kai-Uwe Behrmann

Am 26.08.03, 15:07 +0200 schrieb Raphaël Quinet:

Well, this may be a bit controversial, but I thought about supporting the demonstration against software patents in Europe by replacing the GIMP home page by the following page: http://www.gimp.org/nopatents.html I prepared that page a couple of days ago, but now I see that the announcement about the protest has been posted on Slashdot and several other sites. So maybe it is time to put it on the home page, unless most people here are against this kind of online protest. The GIMP web site is in the U.S. so this may not be so relevant. But on the other hand, several of the most active GIMP developers are living and working in Europe.

-Raphaël

Manish Singh
2003-09-02 19:39:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I just moved the old index back, with the postponement of the vote, the protest page is not as relevant.

-Yosh