RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Manners.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Manners. Adam D. Moss 16 Aug 23:34
  Manners. Simon.Budig@unix-ag.org 17 Aug 00:45
   Manners. Henrik Brix Andersen 17 Aug 09:33
Manners. Carol Spears 17 Aug 15:41
  Manners. Alan Horkan 17 Aug 20:41
Manners. Carol Spears 18 Aug 05:59
Adam D. Moss
2003-08-16 23:34:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Manners.

Guys and gals,

Would people please simply think a bit about the tone of their emails before posting?

It seems that gimp-developer is increasingly perceived as a hostile, rude, or elitist mailing list, and some small effort on the part of posters would help to alleviate this enormously. Making GIMP's development communication environment more friendly is the key first step to winning more developers. (IMO #gimp has largely lost the battle already, and I'd hate to see the mailing list fall.)

Conversely, it would help if people were also slower to take offense. :) It's easy to forget that many if not most of the people here are not native English speakers and might not be able to easily gauge how antagonistic their posts consistantly sound (I've met some of the worse offenders and they're generally not at all antagonistic people :)).

Kind regards, --Adam

Simon.Budig@unix-ag.org
2003-08-17 00:45:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Manners.

Adam D. Moss (adam@gimp.org) wrote:

Conversely, it would help if people were also slower to take offense. :) It's easy to forget that many if not most of the people here are not native English speakers and might not be able to easily gauge how antagonistic their posts consistantly sound (I've met some of the worse offenders and they're generally not at all antagonistic people :)).

As a non-native speaker:

*please* tell me (us?) (private mail probably is more appropriate) when the sound of a mail is hostile or antagonistic. Only then we do have a chance to avoid this in the future.

Thanks, Simon

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-08-17 09:33:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Manners.

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 00:45, Simon.Budig@unix-ag.org wrote:

As a non-native speaker:

*please* tell me (us?) (private mail probably is more appropriate) when the sound of a mail is hostile or antagonistic. Only then we do have a chance to avoid this in the future.

I second that.

Sincerely,
./Brix

Carol Spears
2003-08-17 15:41:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Manners.

Adam D. Moss wrote:

Guys and gals,

Would people please simply think a bit about the tone of their emails before posting?

It seems that gimp-developer is increasingly perceived as a hostile, rude, or elitist mailing list, and some small effort on the part of posters would help to alleviate this enormously. Making GIMP's development communication environment more friendly is the key first step to winning more developers. (IMO #gimp has largely lost the battle already, and I'd hate to see the mailing list fall.)

Kind regards, --Adam

i dunno, this is sort of what keeps me reading it.

this list has been rude, over-reactive and jumpy for a very long time. gimp also works really well, for the most part.

Adam: define rude.

I suggest everyone start insulting each others mother next. Keep development going.

carol

Alan Horkan
2003-08-17 20:41:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Manners.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Carol Spears wrote:

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:41:49 -0400 From: Carol Spears
To: aspirin@ntlworld.com
Cc: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Manners.

Adam D. Moss wrote:

Guys and gals,

Kind regards, --Adam

i dunno, this is sort of what keeps me reading it.

saying that people are clueless merely because their area of interst or expertise does not match yours is not good. give people some benefit of the doubt.

users may make reactionary complaints such as that things are not the same as photoshop or other complaints. they may be wrong but calmly explaininig why things are done different or pointing out that the project is run by volunteers and something a little more polite than 'you get what you pay for' will have the same result.

I may not explain things well but if asked to explain further I will do my best. Calling me clueless is not funny, nor is it true I have used the GIMP more than any other Open source application I can think of (thanks Tor for the windows port) and it was a big factor in my using open source software.

aside from mspaint i cannot think of an image editing program I have used more than the GIMP.

this list has been rude, over-reactive and jumpy for a very long time. gimp also works really well, for the most part.

Adam: define rude.

disagreement is fine, disagreeing without some how backing up your point of view is usually just unhelpful noise, unhelpful criticism.

I often forget that most of you dont have English as your first language and will try and keep that in mind in future.

Notice that despite my being very annoyed rather than flaming back and criticising his spelling :P i pointed out that I was offended and tried to leave it at that.

The problem is that if someone gets a harsh reaction on their first post they wont stick around to find out that it was a joke or that no offence was intended.

The GIMP is too important to the community for me not to at least try to do something about the problems I see.

We are all strangers, despite the level of familiarity email and the internet provides it helps to keep that in mind

Sincerely

Alan Horkan.

Carol Spears
2003-08-18 05:59:01 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Manners.

i learned in my Resident Advisor class that if you ask an american "why" we get all jumpy and weird and sometimes very very what we like to call "defensive".

I think this was cruel, thoughtless and wrong; and have been suffering greatly from it the last 20+ years.

Why would anyone say that?

carol