RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Implementing dynamic brush features

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Implementing dynamic brush features Valerie Van Kerckhove 12 Aug 18:21
  Implementing dynamic brush features Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 12 Aug 19:23
Valerie Van Kerckhove
2003-08-12 18:21:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hello. Recently I posted the following enhancement proposal:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119240
Basically, it's about adding dynamic brush features. Right now, the only non-tablet controled dynamic brush feature is color, with the gradient brush, so I'm suggesting that something more advanced be added where other features: size, opacity, hardness and even orientation are concerned. In the event that such a feature cannot be easily programmed, I also suggested a "dynamic path stroke" feature as an alternative. There's also the suggestion that one gets greater control with graphics tablets as well.
I know that Gimp 2.0 has been feature-freezed for now, but there is no reason to be in a hurry over this anyway.
Now, as I pointed out in Bugzilla, I've since found out that Photoshop 7 has some new dynamic features (see screenshots included in Bugzilla thread), including "jitter" (randomness I think), etc. Initially I had thought out some possible designs for the Brush tool box, but in the light of these possible new features, I think I should rethink them.
Whatever the case, I don't know enough about Brush algorithms, so I have no idea what features can be implemented and what can't. Can the rest of you discuss what can be implemented and what can't, and say what you would "like" to implement or leave out?
On the very short term, can you just add a "reverse" option for each feature where tablet input is concerned? This is so one can easily make brush more opaque as they become smaller, or vice versa, simple things like that...
By the way, a few things I didn't find in Bugzilla, and that I find useful (they might actually be there already, maybe I didn't look hard enough, but if they really aren't, I'll add them to Bugzilla): - layer folders, useful if you work with a lot of layers. Paths folders would also be nice. - "always on top" option for each tool box. This way you can maximise a picture you're working on, and just have the toolbox you access frequently on top.
Well that's all I can think of for now. Comments?

--------------------------------- Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!Messenger

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2003-08-12 19:23:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

valvkalt@yahoo.co.uk (2003-08-12 at 1721.12 +0100):

Right now, the only non-tablet controled dynamic brush feature is color, with the gradient brush,

Direction works too.

Now, as I pointed out in Bugzilla, I've since found out that Photoshop 7 has some new dynamic features (see screenshots included in Bugzilla thread), including "jitter" (randomness I think), etc.

http://www.arraich.com/ps6_tips_7brushes1.htm gives a better view of PS7 brushes.

Long time ago there were mails about this (brush architecture, natural media), search and you can get things like http://www.levien.com/gimp/wetdream.html.

- layer folders, useful if you work with a lot of layers. Paths folders would also be nice.

Layer groups are being considered, check past mails. Maybe if you search with that name, or layer trees or something (some people seems to dream with folders, I guess, "all is a folder" ;] ).

- "always on top" option for each tool box. This way you can maximise a picture you're working on, and just have the toolbox you access frequently on top.

Hehe, the never ending story of wm vs apps (for this, i prefer wm, i do not buy the story of wm having to be invisible and then change the apps, each one its own way).

I would add one thing: collections. Create a dir and drop brushes inside, and you get them ordered and clearly differenced from the rest (selector, tree...), not mixed. It could be done for patterns, gradients and palettes too. This is partially done, gimp lets you define dirs at will, but just that.

GSR