RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.18 released

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.18 released Dave Neary 11 Aug 02:45
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.18 released Branko Collin 11 Aug 14:57
   ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.18 released Raphaël Quinet 11 Aug 15:00
    ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.18 released Henrik Brix Andersen 11 Aug 18:51
     ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.18 released Dave Neary 12 Aug 20:02
      ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.18 released Henrik Brix Andersen 14 Aug 17:40
GimpCon RFC: Portable XCF Øyvind Kolås 14 Aug 16:41
Dave Neary
2003-08-11 02:45:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi everybody,

We've just finished up the camp here, and we thought it would be a good idea to commemorate the occasion with a release.

There are quite a few changes in this release, so it is worthwhile to upgrade, particularly if you had build problems with the mme code in the last release.

This is the latest in the development series of the GIMP. This will very soon be a pre-release version for the GIMP 2.0, so all testing efforts are appreciated to help us pin down some bugs.

As usual, tarballs are available at ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/1.3/1.3.18/.

Happy GIMPing, Dave Neary.

Overview of Changes in GIMP 1.3.18 ==================================
- Made a bunch of improvements to the path tool [Nomis] - Added lots of mnemonnics for plug-ins [Brix] - Build fixes for Win32 [Hans, Tor]
- Improvements to the grid [Brix]
- Improved compiler checks for MMX code [Helvetix, Sven] - Allow patent-free compression for GIF [Cameron] - Add several edge detection algorithms to the edge tool [Bolsh] - Fixed handle leak in plug-ins on Win32 [Tor] - Changed default quality for jpegs [Raphael] - Add changing opacity via cursor keys [Nomis] - Fix text tool outlines [Mitch]
- Serialize/deserialize documentation [Sven] - Colourcibe analysis plug-in added [Yosh] - Lots of code clean-up in displayshell [Mitch] - Camp organisation [Sven, Mitch]
- Added a working gimp.spec for building RPMs [Drh] - Lots of bug fixes

Other contributors:
Maurits Rijk, Raphael Quinet, Adam Moss

Branko Collin
2003-08-11 14:57:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 11 Aug 2003, at 2:45, Dave Neary wrote:

Hey, look, a volunteer!

We've just finished up the camp here, and we thought it would be a good idea to commemorate the occasion with a release.

Woohoo!

This is the latest in the development series of the GIMP. This will very soon be a pre-release version for the GIMP 2.0, so all testing efforts are appreciated to help us pin down some bugs.

Wasn't there going to be a 1.3.19 before going to 2.0-pre-1? When's Feature Freeze again?

Raphaël Quinet
2003-08-11 15:00:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:57:00 +0200, "Branko Collin" wrote:

On 11 Aug 2003, at 2:45, Dave Neary wrote:

Wasn't there going to be a 1.3.19 before going to 2.0-pre-1? When's Feature Freeze again?

Here is what was discussed, according to the minutes of the "Second GIMPCon meeting" written by Dave (and double-checked by comparing with my own notes, just in case):

1 or 2 developer releases(one now, more or less, and another one in another 2 weeks).

So yes, there will most probably be a 1.3.19 two weeks from now. Note that Dave wrote in his annoucement message that there is a new 1.3.18 release now and there would soon be a pre-release of 2.0, but he did not exclude other 1.3.x releases in the meantime. One has to read carefully... ;-)

-Raphaël

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-08-11 18:51:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 15:00, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

Here is what was discussed, according to the minutes of the "Second GIMPCon meeting" written by Dave (and double-checked by comparing with my own notes, just in case):

1 or 2 developer releases(one now, more or less, and another one in another 2 weeks).

I thought we agreed to wait for people to commit the stuff they produced during camp before doing the 1.3.18 release?

./Brix

Dave Neary
2003-08-12 20:02:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quoting Henrik Brix Andersen :

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 15:00, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

I thought we agreed to wait for people to commit the stuff they produced during camp before doing the 1.3.18 release?

Being honest, I wanted to do a release wile I had Sven beside me :) And there will still be another release in a couple of weeks when people commit what they were working on/started in camp.

Dave.

Øyvind Kolås
2003-08-14 16:41:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon RFC: Portable XCF

* Leonard Rosenthol [030814 16:33]:

At 10:06 AM +0200 8/14/03, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

Which is why I in an earlier mail suggested developing a GEGL file format that gimp could extend and use a subset of. By doing it this way, gegl would be the aforementioned file loading, and compositing library,.

But that seems like an EXTREMELY heavyweight library to incorporate into a project just for reading/writing files...

The baseline GEGL library will be exactly the baseline functionality needed to be able to something useful with the file,. compositing the layers, layer groups, and effect layers into a single image. And in that process handling the various kinds of layers (8bit, 16bit 16bit float, 32bit float, rgb, cmyk etc.)

GEGL will by nature be extensible, and able to do more than GIMP initially will use, this is the reason I proposed having different levels of "complexity" for the graph layout, and restrictions on which kinds of operations should be allowed in the baseline format.

If you're calling GEGL EXTREMELY heavyweight, you should be aware that XCF with effect layers is also an EXTEREMLY heavyweight by your standards.

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-08-14 17:40:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 20:02, Dave Neary wrote:

Being honest, I wanted to do a release wile I had Sven beside me :) And there will still be another release in a couple of weeks when people commit what they were working on/started in camp.

Ahh, good - that makes sense. I initially thought our brand new road map had already been set aside ;)

Sincerely, ./Brix