RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Grain modes are just the beginning - was McFarland's Re: St

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Grain modes are just the beginning - was McFarland's Re: St Phil Harper 29 Jul 16:15
Phil Harper
2003-07-29 16:15:30 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Grain modes are just the beginning - was McFarland's Re: St

To: "Joao S. O. Bueno"
CC: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Grain modes are just the beginning - was McFarland's Re: Startup Notification support... Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:38:02 +0200 Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

For example, this is the line in current gimp code that does the "merge mode" :

sum = src1[b] + src2[b] - 128;

It will be doable by typing: ED = E1 + E2 -0.5;

as the custom layer mode. (E stands for "every channel". A is already used for alpha - I myself dislike the "every", and will accept other suggestions)

The advantadges? Even the above formula throws information away - it kees a better average than ADD layer mode. With the custom layer mode, you willbe able to adjust the cnstante factor for every layer on every image.
Thus if it is too light, with large white only areas, one will just have to edit the layer mode expression from the above to: ED = E1 + E2 -0.7; , for instance.

I don't want to discourage you and it's certainly a nice expert/geek feature but I doubt that the casual GIMP user wants to type in any formulas.

Sven

well, it's certainly something that is of interest to me, and surely it wouldn't be a problem to have the extra layer modes at the bottom of the drop down list as well as a create new mode option which can optionally add it to a user list of modes or just save it in the XCF being processes.

just an idea, and sorry if it's already been covered.

Phil.