RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page? Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Jul 00:37
  Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page? David Neary 25 Jul 08:37
   Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page? Tino Schwarze 25 Jul 08:56
    Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page? David Neary 25 Jul 09:31
     Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page? Daniel Egger 25 Jul 14:06
      Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page? Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Jul 16:07
  Could someone add the CVS modules to the devel page? Sven Neumann 25 Jul 17:08
Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-07-25 00:37:46 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi there.

The information about the CVS modules on the web is this bit

(from http://www.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html ) ______
(...)
The avalable modules relating to gimp are are:

gimp gimp2 (no code here, just holding place for ideas) gimp-data-extras
gimp-plugins-unstable
glib
gtk+
gegl (experimental code for gimp 2.0) There are also several branches in the GIMP cvs tree: the main or HEAD branch is GIMP 1.3 (the development version), the old GIMP 1.0.x is in gimp-1-0, the stable version GIMP 1.2 is in gimp-1-2; and there are a few other experimental branches such as the HOLLYWOOD branch for deep image support.

To check out a branch, gimp-1-2 for example, try this commmand line:

cvs -z3 co -r gimp-1-2 gimp (...)
______
I know from at least gimp-gap and gimp-perl more, maybe there are a couple I have not heard about.

Possibly tehre is a fair easy way to know about the modules using CVS itself. But by knowledge on CVS is close to zero. :-( sorry about that.

JS
->

David Neary
2003-07-25 08:37:24 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

The information about the CVS modules on the web is this bit (from http://www.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html )

(...)

I know from at least gimp-gap and gimp-perl more, maybe there are a couple I have not heard about.

There are libart_lgpl, atk, and pango at least - a build of the gimp also requires fontconfig, freetype2 and probably others that I have forgotten.

All of this information is in the INSTALL file, located at the root directory of your gimp tarball, and also of CVS.

Possibly tehre is a fair easy way to know about the modules using CVS itself. But by knowledge on CVS is close to zero. :-( sorry about that.

Nope - CVS does not support specifying interdependencies - it knows nothing about file structure. It versions files, period. Luckily, that's all it has to do :) We use good old text files to specify interdependencies.

Hope this helps, Dave.

Tino Schwarze
2003-07-25 08:56:35 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 08:37:24AM +0200, David Neary wrote:

The information about the CVS modules on the web is this bit (from http://www.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html )

(...)

There are libart_lgpl, atk, and pango at least - a build of the gimp also requires fontconfig, freetype2 and probably others that I have forgotten.

All of this information is in the INSTALL file, located at the root directory of your gimp tarball, and also of CVS.

Nope - CVS does not support specifying interdependencies - it knows nothing about file structure. It versions files, period. Luckily, that's all it has to do :) We use good old text files to specify interdependencies.

There is actually a "good old text file" in CVSROOT: modules. You can specify aliases for modules there and also group several modules together. It needs careful checking though - it's easy to mess things up this way.

If the modules file is set up correctly, you can even run cvs -c
to get a list of available modules. This is very useful IMO. Ah, I see, it actually works for GNOME cvs: cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome co -c

There's no gimp-gap nor gimp-perl though.

Bye, Tino.

David Neary
2003-07-25 09:31:14 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Tino Schwarze wrote:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 08:37:24AM +0200, David Neary wrote:

CVS does not support specifying interdependencies - it knows nothing about file structure. It versions files, period. Luckily, that's all it has to do :) We use good old text files to specify interdependencies.

There is actually a "good old text file" in CVSROOT: modules. You can specify aliases for modules there and also group several modules together. It needs careful checking though - it's easy to mess things up this way.

If the modules file is set up correctly, you can even run cvs -c
to get a list of available modules. This is very useful IMO. Ah, I see, it actually works for GNOME cvs: cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome co -c

There's no gimp-gap nor gimp-perl though.

Up until pretty recently, GNOME CVS had a habit of creating a module as an alias for a directory... I suppose this was so that the aforementioned cvs co -c would work... there is actually no way to know what directories exist in a cvs repository other than looking, I think. Either with a gui tool, or with a file browser. I may be wrong, though.

Anyway, listing the modules in GNOME CVS doesn't get us any further along the way towards knowing what modules the gimp HEAD depends on, which is what I understood of the question. Although I guess (now that I'm reading the info file) tyhat it would be possible to create a gimp_container module which had the following in the modules file...

gimp_container &gimp >k+ &glib &pango &atk &libart_lgpl etc...

But then how could one specify a particular branch to be taken, in the case whete the GIMP doesn't build against HEAD? I'm guessing that we're going to build against GTK+ 2.2 from now on, if we're in feature freeze, that means not taking the HEAD branch from several modules.

Cheers,
Dave.

Daniel Egger
2003-07-25 14:06:47 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Am Fre, 2003-07-25 um 09.31 schrieb David Neary:

Up until pretty recently, GNOME CVS had a habit of creating a module as an alias for a directory... I suppose this was so that the aforementioned cvs co -c would work... there is actually no way to know what directories exist in a cvs repository other than looking, I think. Either with a gui tool, or with a file browser. I may be wrong, though.

http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/rview.cgi?cvsroot=/cvs/gnome

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-07-25 16:07:47 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Daniel Egger wrote:

Am Fre, 2003-07-25 um 09.31 schrieb David Neary:

http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/rview.cgi?cvsroot=/cvs/gnome

This is what I was looking for, thanks.

The cvs co -c command had some missing, notably gimp-gap, gimp-perl, gimp-data-extras.

As for the dependencies, I was not asking about that. INSTALL, HACKING and the output of ./configure say enough about those.

Sven Neumann
2003-07-25 17:08:03 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

I've added a list of GIMP related CVS modules to

http://developer.gimp.org/cvs.html

Could needs some stylesheet tweaking though...

Sven