RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

(LONG) Problems with the GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

(LONG) Problems with the GIMP Alan Horkan 20 Jul 22:34
Alan Horkan
2003-07-20 22:34:46 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

(LONG) Problems with the GIMP

1) User feedback on the development series is poor

Mozilla has nightly builds. Mozilla gets lots of feedback.

When I asked if there were binaries (RPMs) of the Gimp 1.3.x releases I was told in no uncertain terms that I should be building from CVS. Some RPMs of some of the releases were available on RPMFind.net which allowed me to get started looking at Gimp 1.3 although I did eventually make the effort to build from CVS.
If there are any win32 builds of the 1.3.x series then I have not seen or heard anything about them.

If you want more feedback then binaries for every release would be very helpful to allow people to test and give feedback on the GIMP. I guess this ties in to the release cycle.

Proposal 6 - allow people to submit bug reports without a

bugzilla account. I would like it if Bugzilla could get their

In order to maintain some level of quality bug reports this is not such a good idea.
Some small barrier to entry is actually useful to keep up the quality of bug reports even if you do unfortunately lose out on quantity. Bug-buddy to an extent allows people to submit bugs without a bugzilla account.

If asked to do so the user lists may be willing to listen carefully to feedback and help file some bug reports when they see fit, or encourage people how have problems and help them to file bug reports and confirm that the problem exists. Normal users can be very good at turning unhelpful flames and unconstructive criticism into useful constuctive bug reports, filtering out the bits and hopefully forwarding on what the developer need to know.

I have more comments but I'll leave them for later.

The current situation is good in many ways and the GIMP has come a long way but I hope that even more can be done and the GIMP get better and better.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/