RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Alan Horkan 15 Jul 22:24
  Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Sven Neumann 16 Jul 13:57
   Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Alan Horkan 16 Jul 14:42
    Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Sven Neumann 16 Jul 15:39
     Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 16 Jul 22:11
      Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] David Neary 17 Jul 09:22
       Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Sven Neumann 17 Jul 13:16
    Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Nathan Carl Summers 16 Jul 16:48
     Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Alan Horkan 16 Jul 17:10
     Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Adam D. Moss 16 Jul 18:03
     Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Sven Neumann 16 Jul 18:11
      Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Nathan Carl Summers 16 Jul 18:28
       Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Jakub Steiner 16 Jul 22:44
        Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 16 Jul 23:43
        Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: the user installer] Sven Neumann 18 Jul 20:11
Alan Horkan
2003-07-15 22:24:55 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Go to the menu and toggle "View Menubar". How did you miss this?

(Gimp 1.3.4) I had the menubar turned on I expected to still have the menubar in fullscreen mode.

- Alan

(had to disappear for a few days been busy with other stuff)

Sven Neumann
2003-07-16 13:57:18 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

(Gimp 1.3.4) I had the menubar turned on I expected to still have the menubar in fullscreen mode.

I don't understand your answer but just to clarify my sentence I will describe the behaviour of fullscreen mode for you. By default, if you enter fullscreen mode and your WM signals that it supports this operation, all widgets around the canvas are switched off. You can however access the Image->View menu using the right-click menu. There you can reenable individual elements like menu-bar, rulers, status-bar and the like. These changes do not affect the state of the view in normal mode and this state is saved and will be used again when you switch to fullscreen mode again later. I hope this clarifies things.

Sven

Alan Horkan
2003-07-16 14:42:17 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:57:18 +0200 From: Sven Neumann
To: Alan Horkan
Cc: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: [Gimp-developer] the user installer]

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I don't understand your answer but just to clarify my sentence I will describe the behaviour of fullscreen mode for you. By default, if you

I expected the menubar to stay on in fullscreen mode. I just wanted to point out that my expectations were different from what happened, which I realise is unneccessary information from your point of view. (I only have a recent build at home so it takes me a while to check these things).

Having to turn it back on for full screen mode is sensible enough, and an entirely reasonably solution.

Adobe seems to think Fullscreen with menu bar is an important enough option to give it a toolbar button and menu item. Perhaps the GIMP would consider giving it a menu item (and that menu item would allow a keyboard shortcut which is what I really want. if i recall correctly Photoshop uses Shift+F, instead of just F for fullscreen).

normal mode and this state is saved and will be used again when you switch to fullscreen mode again later. I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks for the clarification.

Should I file a request in bugzilla, asking for a "Fullscreen with Menu" option or do you think it would not be worth adding?

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Sven Neumann
2003-07-16 15:39:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

Should I file a request in bugzilla, asking for a "Fullscreen with Menu" option or do you think it would not be worth adding?

I think it is not worth to clutter the menu with this since the menu is always available as right-click menu anyway. The menubar has no additional value.

Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2003-07-16 16:48:57 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:57:18 +0200 From: Sven Neumann
To: Alan Horkan
Cc: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: [Gimp-developer] the user installer]

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I don't understand your answer but just to clarify my sentence I will describe the behaviour of fullscreen mode for you. By default, if you

I expected the menubar to stay on in fullscreen mode. I just wanted to point out that my expectations were different from what happened, which I realise is unneccessary information from your point of view. (I only have a recent build at home so it takes me a while to check these things).

This actually could be a serious usablity issue, since a user who has the menubar on (which a distro might set as default) after going to fullscreen mode might not be able to figure out how to get the menubar back, or even how to return to windowed mode.

(bah, watching actual real users in usablity tests at work stumble around when using really fairly simple interfaces has caused me to loose all faith in the intelligence of humanity. Then again, our users are actual real users, too.)

Seriously, though, it would be a much better behavior to keep the menubar when the window is made fullscreen. A user that prefers a menubar will probably prefer one in fullscreen mode also. Besides, a user with a clue will be able to turn off the menubar anyway.

Rockwalrus

Alan Horkan
2003-07-16 17:10:10 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

This actually could be a serious usablity issue, since a user who has the menubar on (which a distro might set as default) after going to fullscreen mode might not be able to figure out how to get the menubar back, or even how to return to windowed mode.

Hit Escape (Esc) should work. Also the keybinding for Fullscreen mode should take them back.

Many programs do also provide some sort of extra clearly obvious button that takes you out of fullscreen.

(bah, watching actual real users in usablity tests at work stumble around when using really fairly simple interfaces has caused me to loose all faith in the intelligence of humanity. Then again, our users are actual real users, too.)

I have to be regularly reminded that most users dont use software on a regular basis and essentially have to relearn from scratch each time they try to use an appliction.

Seriously, though, it would be a much better behavior to keep the menubar when the window is made fullscreen. A user that prefers a menubar will probably prefer one in fullscreen mode also. Besides, a user with a clue will be able to turn off the menubar anyway.

I am just really glad to have the menu bar at all. (Thanks to who ever added it)

- Alan H.

Adam D. Moss
2003-07-16 18:03:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

Yes, quite so. :( Seeing such studies pretty much turned around my ideas on UIs.

Sven Neumann
2003-07-16 18:11:05 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers writes:

Pressing F11 again or hitting ESC will get you out of full-screen mode again.

Fullscreen mode was added to be able to view the image in a neutral environment w/o being distracted by any user interface elements. Adding a menubar would completely ruin this effort.

The fact that you can edit the image in full-screen mode and that we even decided to allow you to tweak what gets hidden and what not is just an additional nicety and I'm actually tempted to remove it.

Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2003-07-16 18:28:22 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers writes:

Fullscreen mode was added to be able to view the image in a neutral environment w/o being distracted by any user interface elements. Adding a menubar would completely ruin this effort.

I'm sure any UI expert you talk to (or really, anyone who thinks about it for twelve seconds) will tell you that putting up a fullscreen image without any obvious method of exiting is likely to inspire panic in the user, who doesn't know how to get out.

The fact that you can edit the image in full-screen mode and that we even decided to allow you to tweak what gets hidden and what not is just an additional nicety and I'm actually tempted to remove it.

Don't! Fullscreen mode is useful for more than that. It is nice when working on a large image, or a smaller image with high magnification, to get rid of superfluous stuff like the window decoration, but in that case the user may still want to use of the stuff that would otherwise be hidden.

Rockwalrus

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-07-16 22:11:22 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 03:39:25PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

I think it is not worth to clutter the menu with this since the menu is always available as right-click menu anyway. The menubar has no additional value.

That (no additional value) must be the reason why it's enabled by default :)

Jakub Steiner
2003-07-16 22:44:11 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 18:28, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

Don't! Fullscreen mode is useful for more than that. It is nice when working on a large image, or a smaller image with high magnification, to get rid of superfluous stuff like the window decoration, but in that case the user may still want to use of the stuff that would otherwise be hidden.

I find this a lot more useful as well, probably because that's what the fullscreen mode was for in Photoshop. A preview is nice as well, but fullscreen editing is quite a kick-ass feature.

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2003-07-16 23:43:07 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

jimmac@ximian.com (2003-07-16 at 2244.11 +0200):

I find this a lot more useful as well, probably because that's what the fullscreen mode was for in Photoshop. A preview is nice as well, but fullscreen editing is quite a kick-ass feature.

I always wondered why then the app has to do it, instead of the wm providing a trully full screen mode (no decors). I thought special full screens where due something different, like viewing video without any widget. :-/

GSR

David Neary
2003-07-17 09:22:12 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Marc A. Lehmann wrote:

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 03:39:25PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

That (no additional value) must be the reason why it's enabled by default :)

No - it's enabled by default because I thought it should be. I'm quite sure that Sven has turned it off :)

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2003-07-17 13:16:04 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

No - it's enabled by default because I thought it should be. I'm quite sure that Sven has turned it off :)

I have it turned on so I get reminded how akward it is all the time I use The GIMP. Actually I tried to get used to it but I still can't stand it. I will however leave it turned on so that I am forced to continue to think about how to improve it (and we have some ideas already... ).

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-07-18 20:11:26 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

thanks to Mitch the behaviour of full-screen mode is now fully configurable. The change to implement this was probably a lot smaller than most of the comments on this subject that appeared on this list...

Sven