RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[CinePaint-dev] GIMP GBR format spec

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[CinePaint-dev] GIMP GBR format spec Nathan Carl Summers 11 Jul 15:34
  [CinePaint-dev] GIMP GBR format spec Leonard Rosenthol 11 Jul 16:10
Nathan Carl Summers
2003-07-11 15:34:52 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

But the fact is that you're going to end up having to Base64 encode all the image data - which will blow the physical file size WAY out of proportion. And if don't do that (ie. attempt to leave in binary data), then you are violating the spirit of XML's design goals.

Honestly I can't think of a way to put image data into a file format at all that wouldn't violate SGML's design goals. XML may differ in some aspects from SGML, but the fact is that SGML was designed to be a markup language for documents written in human languages, and the design decisions that created that also make storing binary in *ML cumbersome.

GIMP needs a file format that is extensible, and a native representation for tree structures is essential, but there are plenty of ways to do this other than the XML method. Storing images, which ar almost all binary data, in true XML is a lesson in inefficiency.

Oh wait, I take it back. I can think of a image format that retains the spirit of XML:

Created by the GIMP!

Determining whether this is a good format is left as an exercise to the reader.

Rockwalrus

Leonard Rosenthol
2003-07-11 16:10:18 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

At 06:34 AM 7/11/2003 -0700, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

Oh wait, I take it back. I can think of a image format that retains the spirit of XML:

Created by the GIMP!

You know what is really scary about that...

About 6 months ago, someone posted to the SVG mailing list a proposal for an XML-based raster image format that pretty much exactly that...And he was SERIOUS about it!!!

Leonard