RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp printing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2295D244-B035-11D7-B5B5-000... 07 Oct 20:21
  Gimp printing Robert L Krawitz 07 Jul 13:13
   Gimp printing Sven Neumann 07 Jul 13:39
    Gimp printing Robert L Krawitz 07 Jul 14:19
Robert L Krawitz
2003-07-07 13:13:23 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp printing

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:40:29 +1200

I have looked everywhere to try and fix my problem, you are my final hope. I want to print from Gimp. I used to be able to, but then I upgraded to v. 1.2.4 and "print" disappeared from the file menu.

This is due to a change in Gimp 1.2.4, as documented in the INSTALL for that:

5. --disable-print. The print plug-in requires a recent version of libgimpprint. If you don't have it already installed, download it from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/. If you want to compile GIMP without support for printing, use the --disable-print option.

I have installed gimp-print, but that doesn't fix it. I'm figuring that this is because Fink installs things in the sw directory and all references are to that directory tree. Fink unfortunately does not seem to have gimp-print however, so I had to install it using the Gimp-print.pkg installer (I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.6 by the way with Apple's X11) and I rather imagine that it puts things in a totally different place, where Gimp can't see them. I have looked and looked in various /usr/local/... directories and can't find anything that looks like a misplaced printer plug-in for gimp. In /usr/local/lib I found a hopeful looking directory called gimp, but it was empty.

The Gimp-Print package (.pkg file) is intended for CUPS support for pure OS X use (which is what most OS X users want), not for printing from the GIMP. To get printing from the GIMP, you'll currently need to install Gimp-Print from source. Currently there's an open bug against Gimp-Print related to building the plugin under OS X (and possibly against more than just OS X).

Sven Neumann
2003-07-07 13:39:13 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp printing

Hi,

Robert L Krawitz writes:

The Gimp-Print package (.pkg file) is intended for CUPS support for pure OS X use (which is what most OS X users want), not for printing from the GIMP. To get printing from the GIMP, you'll currently need to install Gimp-Print from source. Currently there's an open bug against Gimp-Print related to building the plugin under OS X (and possibly against more than just OS X).

Your answer confused me. If the user has gimp-print (the library) installed, shouldn't he be able to compile the gimp-print plug-in that comes with gimp-1.2.4 ? I don't see any reason why this should not work under OS X.

Sven

Robert L Krawitz
2003-07-07 14:19:30 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp printing

Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:39:13 +0200

Robert L Krawitz writes:

> The Gimp-Print package (.pkg file) is intended for CUPS support > for pure OS X use (which is what most OS X users want), not for > printing from the GIMP. To get printing from the GIMP, you'll > currently need to install Gimp-Print from source. Currently > there's an open bug against Gimp-Print related to building the > plugin under OS X (and possibly against more than just OS X).

Your answer confused me. If the user has gimp-print (the library) installed, shouldn't he be able to compile the gimp-print plug-in that comes with gimp-1.2.4 ? I don't see any reason why this should not work under OS X.

Tyler will need to address this question. I don't know exactly how it's build under OS X.