RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The first official release of the new GimpPreview widget

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The first official release of the new GimpPreview widget Ernst Lippe 11 Jun 14:19
  The first official release of the new GimpPreview widget Adam D. Moss 11 Jun 14:45
   The first official release of the new GimpPreview widget Ernst Lippe 11 Jun 15:38
Ernst Lippe
2003-06-11 14:19:02 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

After an intolerable long wait, I just released the first official version of the new GimpPreview plug-in widget. You can find it at "http://refocus.sourceforge.net/preview".

It has changed considerably compared with the previous proposal. I have completely eliminated the entire event-id business. In the new version at most one instance of the rendering function can be active. Also all names have been changed to start with GimpPreview.

For the time being, I have made this a separate distribution instead of submitting it directly to the Gimp CVS. The main reason is that this makes it easier for developers to test it. It contains several example plug-ins (spread, pixelize and colorify) and a simple test plug-in. The distribution also contains a tutorial, design document and Gtk-doc documentation.

Although I can imagine that some persons would be highly reluctant to make any comments, I would like to encourage everyone, especially all plug-in developers, to examine it critically. At the moment there is no installed user-base and it should be fairly easy to change things.

greetings,

Ernst Lippe

Adam D. Moss
2003-06-11 14:45:20 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Ernst Lippe wrote:

After an intolerable long wait, I just released the first official version of the new GimpPreview plug-in widget. You can find it at "http://refocus.sourceforge.net/preview".

I've given it a cursory scan and it looks pretty good to me (interface and functionalitywise, that is, since any cosmetic details are a minor issue).

It's always good to see people writing docs as well as code!

I quite look forward to using this at some point.

I really suspect that if there are practical flaws in the design then they're more likely to become apparent when authors try to apply the widget to a wide variety of plugins, rather than simply by reading the design docs.

Regards, --Adam

Ernst Lippe
2003-06-11 15:38:32 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:45:20 +0100 "Adam D. Moss" wrote:

Ernst Lippe wrote:

I've given it a cursory scan and it looks pretty good to me (interface and functionalitywise, that is, since any cosmetic details are a minor issue).

Thanks.

It's always good to see people writing docs as well as code!

Lack of good documentation has always been one of my main frustrations when using software.
On the other hand, writing documentation is hard work, I've spent a lot more time on updating the documentation than I've spent on updating the code.

I quite look forward to using this at some point.

I really suspect that if there are practical flaws in the design then they're more likely to become apparent when authors try to apply the widget to a wide variety of plugins, rather than simply by reading the design docs.

I think that you are right. But at least there are now a few example plug-ins that the users can play with to see if the user interface is OK.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I am of course highly interested in all experiences of developers that have tried to use this widget.

greetings,

Ernst Lippe