RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

running gimp withou't make install?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

running gimp withou't make install? Joao S. O. Bueno 02 Jun 01:11
  running gimp withou't make install? Nathan Carl Summers 02 Jun 01:35
   running gimp withou't make install? Helvetix Victorinox 02 Jun 03:40
    running gimp withou't make install? Sven Neumann 02 Jun 13:14
     running gimp withou't make install? Henrik Brix Andersen 03 Jun 18:01
      running gimp withou't make install? Sven Neumann 03 Jun 18:07
       running gimp withou't make install? Henrik Brix Andersen 03 Jun 18:10
Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-06-02 01:11:30 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi there,

I recently uploaded teh 1.3.14 source code, to start to look around the code.

Actually, I humbly intend to actvely join GIMP's development along the next couple of months, if I can get enough of what is going on.

./configure, make && make install went as smoothly as one could ever dream, in a shinny install of MDK 9.1 - Congratulations to whoever manage this part.

And them, I just started to hack around the code to take a grasp of how things itnerconnect around there. My intent almost worked out at first try (well, sometimes we might be able to say that a seg fault is ok as 'almost worked out', might not? ).

But what I do need now is a faster way to go from edit code to running gimp. Make Install asctually eats out a lot of time on my system. Is it possible to run the gimp-1.3 binary generated from make straight, without make-installing it?
How can it be done?

And about my hack: I am trying with a "xor" layer combine and brush modes. I jsut based my work on the "multiply" mode, and worked on a copy of "pixel_multiply" in app/paint-funcs/paint-funcs-generic.h , and the related enuns in various other files. It seens like I am missing something yet - I will work on it tonight.

The final effect is just too like the "difference" layer combine mode to be of any interest, I think, But if it get's interesting enough, I will mention it again.

Thanks for all help.

JS ->

Nathan Carl Summers
2003-06-02 01:35:02 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

But what I do need now is a faster way to go from edit code to running gimp. Make Install asctually eats out a lot of time on my system. Is it possible to run the gimp-1.3 binary generated from make straight, without make-installing it?

Of course you can, as long as all the data is installed in the right places (which the first make install took care of for you.)

How can it be done?

cd app
./gimp-1.3

Rockwalrus

Helvetix Victorinox
2003-06-02 03:40:57 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Once the linking part has been done by app/gimp-1.3, I just run

gdb app/.libs/gimp-1.3

Helvetix

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 04:35:02PM -0700, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Of course you can, as long as all the data is installed in the right places (which the first make install took care of for you.)

How can it be done?

cd app
./gimp-1.3

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2003-06-02 13:14:57 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Helvetix Victorinox writes:

Once the linking part has been done by app/gimp-1.3, I just run

gdb app/.libs/gimp-1.3

Although this works, it is a little hackish and it will link gimp-1.3 against the installed libraries which might differ from the versions in your source tree. The correct way to do this is to use libtool:

libtool gdb app/gimp-1.3

For other executables like for example valgrind you might have to tell libtool that you want it to behave in 'exec' operation mode:

libtool --mode=exec valgrind app/gimp-1.3

Sven

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-06-03 18:01:26 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 13:14, Sven Neumann wrote:

Although this works, it is a little hackish and it will link gimp-1.3 against the installed libraries which might differ from the versions in your source tree. The correct way to do this is to use libtool:

libtool gdb app/gimp-1.3

Shouldn't this be './libtool gdb app/gimp-1.3' ?

Sincerely, ./Brix

Sven Neumann
2003-06-03 18:07:50 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Henrik Brix Andersen writes:

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 13:14, Sven Neumann wrote:

libtool gdb app/gimp-1.3

Shouldn't this be './libtool gdb app/gimp-1.3' ?

Only if you don't have libtool installed. If you are developing from CVS you need to have libtool in your path anyway. The copy that is shipped with the tarball is just there to avoid a dependancy on libtool for everyone who wants to compile the tarball.

Sven

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-06-03 18:10:13 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 18:07, Sven Neumann wrote:

Only if you don't have libtool installed. If you are developing from CVS you need to have libtool in your path anyway. The copy that is shipped with the tarball is just there to avoid a dependancy on libtool for everyone who wants to compile the tarball.

Thanks, that clarifies it.

Brix