RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Preview widget name

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Preview widget name Ernst Lippe 03 Apr 01:24
  Preview widget name Jeshua Lacock 03 Apr 01:39
  Preview widget name Brian Mullin 03 Apr 01:48
   Preview widget name Dov Grobgeld 03 Apr 08:57
  Preview widget name Branko Collin 03 Apr 02:00
   Preview widget name Ernst Lippe 04 Apr 02:41
    Preview widget name Branko Collin 04 Apr 03:51
     Preview widget name Sven Neumann 04 Apr 08:39
      Preview widget name Tino Schwarze 04 Apr 09:47
       Preview widget name Sven Neumann 04 Apr 12:02
  Preview widget name Sven Neumann 03 Apr 11:49
Preview widget name Kevin Myers 03 Apr 01:41
  Preview widget name Jeshua Lacock 03 Apr 02:05
   Preview widget name Ernst Lippe 03 Apr 04:13
    Preview widget name Branko Collin 04 Apr 00:05
     Preview widget name Ernst Lippe 04 Apr 02:57
Ernst Lippe
2003-04-03 01:24:24 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

My Webster's lists prevue as a synonym for preview (to me this appears to be the original French root of the word).

Does GimpPrevue sound very weird for native English speakers?

greetings,

Ernst Lippe

Jeshua Lacock
2003-04-03 01:39:36 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:24 PM, Ernst Lippe wrote:

My Webster's lists prevue as a synonym for preview (to me this appears to be the original French root of the word).

Yes - it sounds quite Euro. : )

Kind of like Shoppe or Colour...

Jeshua Lacock __________________________ Programmer/Owner Phone: 760.935.4736 http://OpenOSX.com Fax: 760.935.4845 -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Kevin Myers
2003-04-03 01:41:21 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

Personally I don't think that it sounds too bad at all, especially considering the lack of other decent alternatives suggested so far...

Kevin M. Round Rock, Texas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeshua Lacock"
To:
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 5:39 PM Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Preview widget name

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:24 PM, Ernst Lippe wrote:

Yes - it sounds quite Euro. : )

Kind of like Shoppe or Colour...

Jeshua Lacock __________________________ Programmer/Owner Phone: 760.935.4736 http://OpenOSX.com Fax: 760.935.4845 -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Brian Mullin
2003-04-03 01:48:44 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

I do see those sorts of spellings from time to time, yes. The same thing with "prevu".

But, to answer your question... Yes, "GimpPrevue" does look kind of weird. It does to me, at any rate. :)

Brian Mullin

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-developer-bounces@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu [mailto:gimp-developer-bounces@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Ernst Lippe
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 5:24 PM To: Gimp-developer
Subject: [Gimp-developer] Preview widget name

greetings,

Ernst Lippe

Branko Collin
2003-04-03 02:00:22 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On 3 Apr 2003, at 1:24, Ernst Lippe wrote:

What do the two different GimpPreviews do? If they are so alike, why are there two different versions? Please explain it to me as if I did not understand programming at all (which I don't, so it will be very easy for me to play my part :-)).

As an aside: on your intropage, you end half of the sentences without and the other half with full-stops.

As an aside to this aside: a Mac application knew that a certain function could take a while to process, so the programmers had, very thoughtfully, provided a dialog that said: "If you want to interupt the processing, please press Command and type a period." A (Dutch) colleague who knows very little about Macs, wanted to interupt the program, so he pressed the Command button and started typing for a while.

Jeshua Lacock
2003-04-03 02:05:52 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:41 PM, Kevin Myers wrote:

Personally I don't think that it sounds too bad at all, especially considering the lack of other decent alternatives suggested so far...

Hello Kevin,

I think the average American will think it was translated funky and assume it is the work of an amateur. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

Whatever the name, it will be welcomed functionality.

How about:

GimpPredo GimpThumb
GimpPeek
GimpProView
GimpSneak

(Just what popped into my head based on the description)

Cheers,

Ernst Lippe
2003-04-03 04:13:30 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 16:05:52 -0800 Jeshua Lacock wrote:

Hello Kevin,

I think the average American will think it was translated funky and assume it is the work of an amateur. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

But it is the work of an amateur, up till now nobody has offered me any payment for it.

What's worse I now realize that it is possible that some literate americans (yes, they do exist) might assume that it was written by some Frenchman, which might be dangerous in the present circumstances.

greetings,

Ernst

Dov Grobgeld
2003-04-03 08:57:07 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

While we are at it. The two characters "Fu" to represent "A uniform interface that allows setting parameters for the execution of a sequence of gimp functions where each type of parameter has a fixed GUI mapping" is much weirder, imho. And that is exposed to the user, which Prevue would not be...

Regards,
Dov

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 05:48:44PM -0600, Brian Mullin wrote:

I do see those sorts of spellings from time to time, yes. The same thing with "prevu".

But, to answer your question... Yes, "GimpPrevue" does look kind of weird. It does to me, at any rate. :)

Brian Mullin

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-developer-bounces@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu [mailto:gimp-developer-bounces@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Ernst Lippe
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 5:24 PM To: Gimp-developer
Subject: Preview widget name

greetings,

Ernst Lippe _______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Sven Neumann
2003-04-03 11:49:46 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

Hi,

as Nathan already pointed out, the name GimpPreview doesn't fit overly well for the core widget so we will most probably rename it soon and the plug-in preview can become GimpPreview. Now we just need a name for the core widget. GimpView seems to be a possible choice here.

Salut, Sven

Branko Collin
2003-04-04 00:05:47 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On 3 Apr 2003, at 4:13, Ernst Lippe wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 16:05:52 -0800 Jeshua Lacock wrote:

But it is the work of an amateur, up till now nobody has offered me any payment for it.

Perhaps you two are using different meanings for 'amateur': one being 'unpaid', the other 'low-quality'. Of course, in the old days, amateur meant 'noble', 'high-quality', because an amateur was something who did not need to do something for a living. The word 'amateur' had a similar meaning that 'hacker' does among hackers.

Ernst Lippe
2003-04-04 02:41:59 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 02:00:22 +0200 Branko Collin wrote:

What do the two different GimpPreviews do? If they are so alike, why are there two different versions? Please explain it to me as if I did not understand programming at all (which I don't, so it will be very easy for me to play my part :-)).

There is a large difference. The GimpPreview in the GIMP is used internally, and is not avalaible to plug-ins (I you are really as naive as you pretend, I should probably should have called the plug-ins "filters"). My preview is intended for plug-ins and contains severeal bells-and-whistles, that might be usefull for plug-ins.

As an aside: on your intropage, you end half of the sentences without and the other half with full-stops.

I hope you mean the initial table of contents (I already started looking at the "Introduction" page, but that one looked mostly OK). That is just intended as some help to future software archeologists so that they can determine in which order these pages were written :) But I will immediately admit that my punctiation is horrible.

BTW, I have the feeling that most americans would not use the term "full-stop". So I suspect, that you originate from that part of the world that thinks that "Europe" and "the continent" as synonyms.

greetings,

Ernst

Ernst Lippe
2003-04-04 02:57:20 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:05:47 +0200 Branko Collin wrote:

Perhaps you two are using different meanings for 'amateur': one being 'unpaid', the other 'low-quality'. Of course, in the old days, amateur meant 'noble', 'high-quality', because an amateur was something who did not need to do something for a living. The word 'amateur' had a similar meaning that 'hacker' does among hackers.

Actually, it was a very implicit reference to the original roots of the word. It is derived from a latin root (amare?) that means "to love", like the french verb "aimer". And especially when you see the mess that IT "professionals" can sometimes create, I don't think that amateur is such a negative term at all.

greetings,

Ernst

Branko Collin
2003-04-04 03:51:05 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On 4 Apr 2003, at 2:41, Ernst Lippe wrote:

There is a large difference. The GimpPreview in the GIMP is used internally, and is not avalaible to plug-ins (I you are really as naive as you pretend, I should probably should have called the plug-ins "filters"). My preview is intended for plug-ins and contains severeal bells-and-whistles, that might be usefull for plug-ins.

But otherwise they have the same function? Is it useful to have two previews that do the same?

I hope you mean the initial table of contents (I already started looking at the "Introduction" page, but that one looked mostly OK).

I think that's what I meant, but I was too lazy to look it up. The page that has a list of contents (that are links).

That is just intended as some help to future software archeologists so that they can determine in which order these pages were written :) But I will immediately admit that my punctiation is horrible.

That is not why I told you this: in a previous mail, you asked us to look at spelling mistakes and such (you may not have used the actual phrase 'spelling mistakes').

BTW, I have the feeling that most americans would not use the term "full-stop". So I suspect, that you originate from that part of the world that thinks that "Europe" and "the continent" as synonyms.

The e-mail domains we use are owned by the same company. You may draw your conclusions from that fact. :-)

Sven Neumann
2003-04-04 08:39:41 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

Hi,

"Branko Collin" writes:

On 4 Apr 2003, at 2:41, Ernst Lippe wrote:

But otherwise they have the same function? Is it useful to have two previews that do the same?

they are completely different. The internal widget is a lot simpler and serves as a replacement for the deprecated GtkPreview. As a descendant of GtkDrawingArea, it provides an area where a GimpPreviewRenderer renders a view on a GimpViewable object. Thus, it could as well be called GimpView.

Salut, Sven

Tino Schwarze
2003-04-04 09:47:14 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 08:39:41AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

they are completely different. The internal widget is a lot simpler and serves as a replacement for the deprecated GtkPreview. As a descendant of GtkDrawingArea, it provides an area where a GimpPreviewRenderer renders a view on a GimpViewable object. Thus, it could as well be called GimpView.

Uhm. Then why not rename the internal widget to have a nicer name for the external one? This would make sense IMO! If it's a preview it should be called that way.

Bye, Tino.

Sven Neumann
2003-04-04 12:02:43 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Preview widget name

Hi,

tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de (Tino Schwarze) writes:

Uhm. Then why not rename the internal widget to have a nicer name for the external one? This would make sense IMO! If it's a preview it should be called that way.

I think I proposed that already, didn't I?

Salut, Sven