RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs Jason Van Patten 14 Mar 20:09
  EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs Sven Neumann 17 Mar 21:26
   EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs Raphaël Quinet 18 Mar 21:49
  EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs Lutz Müller 17 Mar 21:51
EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs Jason Van Patten 17 Mar 20:36
EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs Jason Van Patten 19 Mar 15:52
Jason Van Patten
2003-03-14 20:09:41 UTC (about 21 years ago)

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

I'm sure this has been asked 5 bzillion times, so make this 5 bzillion and one. :-) Is there a plan to support reading/writing EXIF information found in files such as JPEGs and TIFFs? I've followed older threads that lead me to Lutz's libexif, which I'm up-to-date on. But, without applying a very hairy patch to 1.3.x, I can't get GIMP to work with it.

And, libexif is JPEG-centric. It's certainly handy, but it'd be even moreso to support other file formats (TIFF specifically.) Daniel Stephens has written a C++ based CLI app called metacam http://www.cheeseplant.org/~daniel/pages/metacam.html which actually can read JPEGs and TIFFs. Is that something someone could work with and develop into a plugin? I've contacted Daniel and asked him a similar question; he said anyone can take what they want from his code but he hasn't a lot of time to donate to development.

$ file F1A.TIF F1A.TIF: TIFF image data, little-endian

$ metacam F1A.TIF File: F1A.TIF
Standard Fields ----------------------------------- Image Creation Date: 2002:11:14 13:52:51 Make: Canon Model: Canon EOS-1DS Software Version: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 X Resolution: 72 Pixels/Inch Y Resolution: 72 Pixels/Inch Samples Per Pixel: 3
Bits Per Sample: (8,8,8) Photometric Interpretation: RGB
Compression: Uncompressed EXIF Fields --------------------------------------- Image Capture Date: 2002:10:11 12:12:40 Image Digitized Date: 2002:10:11 12:12:40 Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Focal Length: 600mm Exposure Time: 1/500 Sec. Aperture: f5.6
Exif Image Width: 4064 pixels Exif Image Height: 2704 pixels Exposure Mode: Manual Exposure White Balance: Auto White Balance ISO Speed Rating: 10 (50) EXIF Version: 0220
FlashPix Version: 0100
Aperture Value: f5.6
Focal Plane X Resolution: 11822545/4096 Pixels/Inch Focal Plane Y Resolution: 2955065/1024 Pixels/Inch Shutter Speed Value: 1/512 Sec. ColorSpace: sRGB
Scene Capture Type: Standard

jas

Jason Van Patten
2003-03-17 20:36:41 UTC (about 21 years ago)

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

Lutz Müller wrote:

The current state is that there has been a patch to preserve and edit EXIF information in JPEGs using libexif. This patch never got into the GIMP nor was updated to 1.3.x as

Odd. I was able to get the patch to apply (by hand, with a sledge hammer :-)) to 1.3.8. I had no luck getting it to apply to 1.2.x. I haven't tried to apply it to 1.3.12 though. Looks like things in the jpeg.c plugin have changed enough to confuse me.

jas

Sven Neumann
2003-03-17 21:26:22 UTC (about 21 years ago)

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

Hi,

Jason Van Patten writes:

I'm sure this has been asked 5 bzillion times, so make this 5 bzillion and one. :-) Is there a plan to support reading/writing EXIF information found in files such as JPEGs and TIFFs? I've followed older threads that lead me to Lutz's libexif, which I'm up-to-date on. But, without applying a very hairy patch to 1.3.x, I can't get GIMP to work with it.

this issue is being tracked at

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56443

Actually I was hoping we'd have some support for EXIF metadata by now since several people volunteered to work on this stuff. Unfortunately nothing usable has surfaced so far which means that it is very unlikely that GIMP-1.4 will have this feature.

Salut, Sven

Lutz Müller
2003-03-17 21:51:52 UTC (about 21 years ago)

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 20:09, Jason Van Patten wrote:

Is there a plan to support reading/writing EXIF information found in files such as JPEGs and TIFFs?

Sure. The plan is to come up with some mechanism to store information (like EXIF) in and convert that information between several different file formats, including JPEG and TIFF (Sven et aliud).

The current state is that there has been a patch to preserve and edit EXIF information in JPEGs using libexif. This patch never got into the GIMP nor was updated to 1.3.x as
(1) it would add another dependency to an external library (2) it would not reach the goal as stated in above plan.

And, libexif is JPEG-centric. It's certainly handy, but it'd be even moreso to support other file formats (TIFF specifically.)

This request pops up a lot. My camera is really old and can't produce TIFFs. So, I don't have any incentives to add support for TIFFs to libexif. But I will happily integrate patches that are sent to me.

Raphaël Quinet
2003-03-18 21:49:38 UTC (about 21 years ago)

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

On 17 Mar 2003 21:26:22 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Jason Van Patten writes:

I'm sure this has been asked 5 bzillion times, so make this 5 bzillion and one. :-) Is there a plan to support reading/writing EXIF information found in files such as JPEGs and TIFFs?

[...]

this issue is being tracked at

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56443

Actually I was hoping we'd have some support for EXIF metadata by now since several people volunteered to work on this stuff. Unfortunately nothing usable has surfaced so far which means that it is very unlikely that GIMP-1.4 will have this feature.

This is mostly my fault. Since last year, I planned to add EXIF support in the "right" way, but I haven't been able to start implementing this.

As we have seen the problems caused in the GIMP by some features that are implemented as quick hacks and then become unmaintained, I think that it is important to add EXIF support correctly, in a framework that supports EXIF for JPEG and TIFF (and maybe PNG), but also allows XMP/IPTC metadata (later). Although there have been several proposals to add a quick hack to "support EXIF" by simply copying the whole EXIF block from one JPEG file to another one, this is wrong (according to the EXIF spec) and I don't think that it would be a good idea to include this in the GIMP because this solution would be a dead end.

So until a correct implementation is done in the GIMP, I prefer to recommend the usage of external tools.

I'm still hoping to be able to start implementing this "soon"...

-Raphaël

Jason Van Patten
2003-03-19 15:52:30 UTC (about 21 years ago)

EXIF in JPEGs and TIFFs

Lutz Müller wrote:

EXIF information in JPEGs using libexif. This patch never got into the GIMP nor was updated to 1.3.x as

Did some 'sledgehammer hacking' to get the old exif patch to work under GIMP 1.3.12. It's attached as a text file. I assume absolutely no responsibility for it. It's allll Lutz's fault. ;-)

jas