RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Commandline (non-scripted) use of the gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Commandline (non-scripted) use of the gimp Brian Mullin 14 Mar 19:24
  Commandline (non-scripted) use of the gimp Raphaël Quinet 14 Mar 19:49
Brian Mullin
2003-03-14 19:24:00 UTC (about 21 years ago)

I'd like to work on non-scripted commandline usage of the gimp. (i.e. a user would run the command "gimp -plugin:normalize -proc:run"... And voila! The NORMALIZE.EXE plugin is executed.) I've seen that someone did a bit of work on this in the past... And then apparently just left it.

Anyway, I just know that it would be useful for those users who want scripting-like capabilities, but don't want to use Scheme, Perl, or Python.

I'm starting out by just doing some research into how things are done. Could anybody help me on this? Of particular use would be some pointers on the Gimp application initialization procedures. (Raphael? Sven? I've seen your names in the change logs as having done work in this area...)

Many thanks, Brian

----
Brian Mullin

Raphaël Quinet
2003-03-14 19:49:46 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:24:00 -0600, "Brian Mullin" wrote:

I'd like to work on non-scripted commandline usage of the gimp. (i.e. a user would run the command "gimp -plugin:normalize -proc:run"... And voila! The NORMALIZE.EXE plugin is executed.) I've seen that someone did a bit of work on this in the past... And then apparently just left it.

Are you refering to the minigimp code, or to something else?

Anyway, I just know that it would be useful for those users who want scripting-like capabilities, but don't want to use Scheme, Perl, or Python.

You will probably have to use one of these scripting languages if you want to do anything more complicated than executing a single plug-in. For example, if you want to execute two operations and the second one needs the image or layer created by the first one, then you will need some kind of scripting language in order to state what should be passed from one PDB call to the other one.

I'm starting out by just doing some research into how things are done. Could anybody help me on this? Of particular use would be some pointers on the Gimp application initialization procedures. (Raphael? Sven? I've seen your names in the change logs as having done work in this area...)

I doubt that I have really done much in that area, because my contributions to the code have been rather small in the last months (years?). I was indeed interested in having a stripped-down version of the GIMP that would mostly be used for executing plug-ins. That would be similar to ImageMagik, but more flexible (and less efficient because of the plug-in mechanism). Unfortunately, I never had the time to write the code for that. Sven and Mitch are the ones doing the real work. ;-)

-Raphaël