RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Outdated docs: keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt - any volunteers? Raphaël Quinet 03 Mar 15:43
  Outdated docs: keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt - any volunteers? Owen 03 Mar 21:00
   Outdated docs: keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt - any volunteers? Marco Wessel 03 Mar 22:04
    Outdated docs: keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt - any volunteers? Owen 04 Mar 09:05
     Outdated docs: keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt - any volunteers? Sven Neumann 04 Mar 13:27
    keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt Owen 09 Mar 09:37
     keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt Sven Neumann 09 Mar 15:51
     keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt Sven Neumann 11 Mar 14:39
Raphaël Quinet
2003-03-03 15:43:44 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Outdated docs: keybindings.txt and cheat_sheet.txt - any volunteers?

After Sven replaced the Alt-F shortcut by Ctrl-F to be able to reserve the Alt-... shortcuts for keyboard navigation in the menus (*), I had a look at some old files:
docs/cheat_sheet.txt
docs/keybindings.txt
docs/quick_reference.ps

The last time these files were updated was five years ago, or more! Is anybody interested in updating them? The quick reference file requires some knowledge of TeX, but the other files are plain text files that are easy to edit. So if anybody is interested in low hanging fruits...

-Raphaël

(*) See: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106991

Owen
2003-03-03 21:00:32 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:43:44 +0100 Raphaël Quinet wrote:

After Sven replaced the Alt-F shortcut by Ctrl-F to be able to reserve the Alt-... shortcuts for keyboard navigation in the menus (*), I had a look at some old files:
docs/cheat_sheet.txt
docs/keybindings.txt
docs/quick_reference.ps

Is the tex file still around for quick_reference?

Otherwise I am prepared to start again from scratch.

Owen

Marco Wessel
2003-03-03 22:04:52 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Owen
2003-03-04 09:05:23 UTC (about 21 years ago)

While reworking the keybindings text and Quick Reference sheet, comparing with the latest CVS, 03/03/03, on a MDK 9 distro, there appear to be a lot of keybindings that no longer function but are shown on the dialogue box, eg

Right clicking on the Layers dialogue box shows these hot keys which do not work, but mouse activation is OK

New layer Ctrl + N Raise layer Ctrl + F
Layer to Top Shift + Ctrl + F
Lower layer Ctrl + B
Layer to Bottom Shift + Ctrl + B
Duplicate Layer Ctrl + C

Also, Ctrl + N seem useless on the Pattern, Gradient, Palettes or Brushes Dialogue .

Are my observations correct? Should these "Hot keys" be taken off those dialogue boxes?

Owen

Sven Neumann
2003-03-04 13:27:43 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

Owen writes:

While reworking the keybindings text and Quick Reference sheet, comparing with the latest CVS, 03/03/03, on a MDK 9 distro, there appear to be a lot of keybindings that no longer function but are shown on the dialogue box, eg

Right clicking on the Layers dialogue box shows these hot keys which do not work, but mouse activation is OK

that is a bug and needs to be fixed. The layers dialog is being redone at the moment, please be patient (or assume that the keys would work as advertized).

Actually there was a plan to unify key bindings, i.e. remove colliding bindings and make them work from all dialogs. I'm not sure if this is still in the air but it would have to happen soon and it would certainly ruin your work on updating the docs.

Also, Ctrl + N seem useless on the Pattern, Gradient, Palettes or Brushes Dialogue .

do they? Why is that? I agree that "New Pattern doesn't make sense since we don't have a way to create a new pattern yet. The other bindings seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Salut, Sven

Owen
2003-03-09 09:37:18 UTC (about 21 years ago)

keybindings.txt has been rewritten. See http://www.webone.com.au/~oc/gimp/kb.html The txt, tex and pdf versions are referenced there for download. The txt version looks awful,varies with editor...see pdf version

Some comments are;

Conflict of shortcut keys C

Clone is shown as C on the main dialogue box and also Image->Tools->Paint Tools->Clone is shown as C Color picker is selected, and shown, by C on the main dialogue box and also Image->Tools->Selection Tools->By Color select

Same same for Blur or Sharpen Vs Bezier Conflict of B

Presume these are documented bugs as only one of them works

1.2 stated "The GIMP also comes with a menurc that will implement Adobe Photoshop style keybindings, if you are used to Photoshop, this may prove helpful. To use it, rename ps-menurc to menurc and put it in ~/gimp-1.2, overwriting the one that is already there (you may want to make a backup first)."

But seems to be different with GTK2

Path key bindings shown, but do not operate in Channel Ops and path Ops

I will look at the "mouse" cheat sheets once I work out how to get my two button mouse working as three button mouse

Sven Neumann
2003-03-09 15:51:32 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

Owen writes:

Some comments are;

Clone is shown as C on the main dialogue box and also Image->Tools->Paint Tools->Clone is shown as C Color picker is selected, and shown, by C on the main dialogue box and also Image->Tools->Selection Tools->By Color select

Presume these are documented bugs as only one of them works

if there is no bug-report for it (and there isn't iirc), then it's not a documented bug and you should file a report for it, please.

1.2 stated
"The GIMP also comes with a menurc that will implement Adobe Photoshop style keybindings, if you are used to Photoshop, this may prove helpful. To use it, rename ps-menurc to menurc and put it in ~/gimp-1.2, overwriting the one that is already there (you may want to make a backup first)."

But seems to be different with GTK2

how is it different? It's supposed to work. If it doesn't, please file a bug-report for it. Of course ps-menurc needs to be updated if we want to include it with the next stable release.

Path key bindings shown, but do not operate in Channel Ops and path Ops

again, there should be a bug-report for this misbehaviour.

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-03-11 14:39:33 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

Owen writes:

keybindings.txt has been rewritten. See http://www.webone.com.au/~oc/gimp/kb.html The txt, tex and pdf versions are referenced there for download. The txt version looks awful,varies with editor...see pdf version

Some comments are;

This has been fixed in the meantime (see bug #107975). I suspect you want to update the keybindings documentation before I update the files in CVS ?

There will certainly be more updates necessary before the 1.4 release since keybindings is an area that is still being worked on. We are still waiting for the great keybindings unification ...

Salut, Sven