RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

help needed for reorganization of Preferences dialog

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help needed for reorganization of Preferences dialog Sven Neumann 25 Feb 18:35
ygaznokf9g7.fsf@gimp.org 07 Oct 20:21
  help needed for reorganization of Preferences dialog Michael J. Hammel 26 Feb 22:41
Sven Neumann
2003-02-25 18:35:19 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

there hasn't been much feedback lately on similar requests, but I'll try it once more since I assume that everyone is interested in getting the next GIMP release done...

The Preferences dialog has grown over the past and we applied a tree-like structure in order to make it easy to find things. Looking at it now makes me think that the general idea is fine but that the whole thing should be reviewed and reorganized. I'm looking for a volunteer to look at the various options and to propose a way to organize it into categories. This could end up being pretty close to what we have now but I'm sure that at least a few things should be moved and/or rephrased.

Such a proposal should probably be done on paper (or in your favorite editor), but since the new code for the prefs dialog is not that complex any longer, you could try to come up with a patch as well. It's up to you. Any volunteers for that?

Salut, Sven

Michael J. Hammel
2003-02-26 22:41:59 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 13:26, Sven Neumann wrote:

Do you have any specifics on what you're looking at changing - are there some bug reports that suggest a change is needed in the Preferences? It would help if there were since, at present, I haven't see many problems with the Preferences layout from my own perspective.

I've added one more entry to the Image Window page today and found that it grew too large while other pages are somewhat empty. I think it should be possible to get a more balanced layout. I'd also appreciate if a native speaker could review the individual entries. Of course if you say that all is fine as is, that's OK with me as well.

You should perhaps announce that you are working on this on gimp-developer...

I've grabbed the CVS stuff (had to update a few build tools, but that went smoothly) and have built the latest. I'll be looking over the prefs stuff this week and, with luck, will get you some feedback early next week.

PS: I forwarded this to the list, so they know I'm working on it.