RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP missing from Fifth Toe

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP missing from Fifth Toe Christian Rose 02 Feb 16:41
  GIMP missing from Fifth Toe Sven Neumann 02 Feb 19:49
   GIMP missing from Fifth Toe Christian Rose 02 Feb 20:07
Christian Rose
2003-02-02 16:41:51 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Currently, the packages for the GNOME Fifth Toe release is being brought together at the http://5toe.lyrical.net/ site, where package maintainers can nominate their software for inclusion. Fifth Toe is, for those that don't know, a collection of nice additional software that works with GNOME. Fifth Toe is released seperately from the rest of GNOME. GIMP fits that category well, and has also previously been included in Fifth Toe.

Is the omission of GIMP from Fifth Toe intended, or an accidental omission?

Christian

Sven Neumann
2003-02-02 19:49:27 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

Christian Rose writes:

Currently, the packages for the GNOME Fifth Toe release is being brought together at the http://5toe.lyrical.net/ site, where package maintainers can nominate their software for inclusion. Fifth Toe is, for those that don't know, a collection of nice additional software that works with GNOME. Fifth Toe is released seperately from the rest of GNOME. GIMP fits that category well, and has also previously been included in Fifth Toe.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the concept at all and the webpage is not really helpful in clearing things up. What exactly is Fifth Toe? You say it's a collection of software. Is it just a list of packages or is the software also distributed somehow?

The website also don't explain which version of GNOME / GTK+ this "release" is based on. If it is GTK+-2.x, we are probably out of the race since there is no stable GIMP release for this platform.

Salut, Sven

Christian Rose
2003-02-02 20:07:24 UTC (about 21 years ago)

sön 2003-02-02 klockan 19.49 skrev Sven Neumann:

Christian Rose writes:

I'm sorry but I don't understand the concept at all and the webpage is not really helpful in clearing things up. What exactly is Fifth Toe? You say it's a collection of software. Is it just a list of packages or is the software also distributed somehow?

To the best of my knowledge and judging from previous Fifth Toe releases, it's a common release of independantly developed software. In other words, there will be a common release at some point with a common release announcement saying "this is the GNOME Fifth Toe release and this is the list of software included in it", listing applications and their versions. I'm cc:ing Will LaShell in this mail, perhaps he can clarify.

I personally believe GNOME Fifth Toe has traditionally been a way to release software that isn't currently part of the core desktop and can be released as part of that, but may still be interesting to users. The idea is to help users when they have installed a new desktop and wonder where's the more nice tools and applications for it. A sort of nice bag of extra goodies.
It also helps distributors; instead of having to list thirtysomething individual pieces of software or parts of it and decide which pieces to use they can just conveniently say "includes GNOME Fifth Toe" and include an already predefined set of packages.

But that's just my view of it. Hopefully Will can clear out the issues.

The website also don't explain which version of GNOME / GTK+ this "release" is based on. If it is GTK+-2.x, we are probably out of the race since there is no stable GIMP release for this platform.

Good point. I don't know what the exact qualifications for inclusion are, but it probably includes in some point being ported to GNOME/GTK+ 2.0 or 2.2.

Christian