RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

bug hunting -- squashing windows bugs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

bug hunting Sven Neumann 02 Dec 19:42
  bug hunting -- squashing windows bugs David Weeks 02 Dec 21:35
   bug hunting -- squashing windows bugs Lourens Veen 02 Dec 22:50
    bug hunting -- squashing windows bugs Patrick McFarland 03 Dec 00:38
     bug hunting -- squashing windows bugs Tino Schwarze 03 Dec 09:50
     bug hunting -- squashing windows bugs Lourens Veen 03 Dec 10:38
      bug hunting -- squashing windows bugs Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 03 Dec 18:08
Sven Neumann
2002-12-02 19:42:37 UTC (over 21 years ago)

bug hunting

Hi,

This is the current list of unconfirmed GIMP bugs:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=GIMP&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED

there are a lot of Windows bugs among them. Would be nice if some users of GIMP on Win32 could have a look. If you can confirm one of these bugs, please attach a comment. If you can not confirm it, that is worth a comment as well.

This is the current list of bugs that need more information:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=GIMP&bug_status=NEEDINFO

If you can provide additional information on any of these, please attach them.

Salut, Sven

David Weeks
2002-12-02 21:35:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I fixed all my windows bugs:

0) Backup your data. 1) Boot from rescue disk, no CD support (or don't worry for win95, that had to be made manually).
2) Utilize the Microsoft built, Microsoft bug squashing tool: fdisk 3) In fdisk you'll likely see these bugs, they're called "partitions." You want to delete them.
4) Note that some bugs are harder -- namely "extended partitions." In those you'll have to first squash the "logical drive" bugs, then you can delete the "extended partition" bugs.
5) Save changes and exit. Congratulations! Your system is now bug free! 6) Insert Red Hat 7.3 (NOT 8.0 -- IT HAS THE GNOME BUG!) disk one, to finish the bug proofing your windows machine. Proceed with screens, but chose custom (cause this is a bug squashing thing), and both install and make default the KDE desktop. (That's the special bug protection. Though it too, has some bugs ((sorry)), though not as badly as the rest.) 7) This works for NT and XP as well. For persistant bugs, like the administrative rights bug, in NT or XP, just boot from the Red Hat 7.3 disk 1, and when it offers "disk druid," use it to delete the windows partition bugs, as mentioned in step 3.
8) Bug squashing is fun, and you can do it at home and work. 9) Oh, squash at your own risk.

You'll find that this fixes not only the windows gimp bugs, but your vulnerability to email attacks, all kinds of viruses, the blue screens of employment bug, and the dreaded "exposure to legal liabilities for pirated software/BSA where coming to Fed. you away" bug. (YIKES!)

All in all, I'd say "QUITE A FIX!" Glad to help.

David Weeks

On Monday 02 December 2002 01:42 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

This is the current list of unconfirmed GIMP bugs:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=GIMP&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED

there are a lot of Windows bugs among them. Would be nice if some users of GIMP on Win32 could have a look. If you can confirm one of these bugs, please attach a comment. If you can not confirm it, that is worth a comment as well.

This is the current list of bugs that need more information:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=GIMP&bug_status=NEEDINFO

If you can provide additional information on any of these, please attach them.

Salut, Sven
_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Lourens Veen
2002-12-02 22:50:47 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Mon 2 December 2002 21:35, David Weeks wrote:

I fixed all my windows bugs:

0) Backup your data. 1) Boot from rescue disk, no CD support (or don't worry for win95, that had to be made manually). 2) Utilize the Microsoft built, Microsoft bug squashing tool: fdisk 3) In fdisk you'll likely see these bugs, they're called "partitions." You want to delete them. 4) Note that some bugs are harder -- namely "extended partitions." In those you'll have to first squash the "logical drive" bugs, then you can delete the "extended partition" bugs. 5) Save changes and exit. Congratulations! Your system is now bug free! 6) Insert Red Hat 7.3 (NOT 8.0 -- IT HAS THE GNOME BUG!) disk one, to finish the bug proofing your windows machine. Proceed with screens, but chose custom (cause this is a bug squashing thing), and both install and make default the KDE desktop. (That's the special bug protection. Though it too, has some bugs ((sorry)), though not as badly as the rest.) 7) This works for NT and XP as well. For persistant bugs, like the administrative rights bug, in NT or XP, just boot from the Red Hat 7.3 disk 1, and when it offers "disk druid," use it to delete the windows partition bugs, as mentioned in step 3. 8) Bug squashing is fun, and you can do it at home and work. 9) Oh, squash at your own risk.

You'll find that this fixes not only the windows gimp bugs, but your vulnerability to email attacks, all kinds of viruses, the blue screens of employment bug, and the dreaded "exposure to legal liabilities for pirated software/BSA where coming to Fed. you away" bug. (YIKES!)

And guess what, it fixes all GIMP bugs too!. After all, GIMP is part of GNOME, so if you don't install GNOME, there won't be GIMP, so there won't be any GIMP bugs! Yay!

Seriously, you've made your point on free software and free OSes. I agree wholeheartedly, but if you want others to respect your opinion, you should respect theirs too. Trying to convince them is fine, but this is a technical mailinglist, and as such not an appropriate place to do so.

Cheers,

Lourens

Patrick McFarland
2002-12-03 00:38:18 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 02-Dec-2002, Lourens Veen wrote:

And guess what, it fixes all GIMP bugs too!. After all, GIMP is part of GNOME, so if you don't install GNOME, there won't be GIMP, so there won't be any GIMP bugs! Yay!

Erm, maybe this is a stupid redhat thing, but I thought GIMP just used GTK, (ala, it works on all desktops, including my anti-desktop environment desktop)

Oh, and go debian!

Tino Schwarze
2002-12-03 09:50:55 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:38:18PM -0500, Patrick McFarland wrote:

Erm, maybe this is a stupid redhat thing, but I thought GIMP just used GTK, (ala, it works on all desktops, including my anti-desktop environment desktop)

Actually, GIMP is the reason that there is GTK.

Bye, Tino.

Lourens Veen
2002-12-03 10:38:37 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Tue 3 December 2002 00:38, Patrick McFarland wrote:

On 02-Dec-2002, Lourens Veen wrote:

True, but there are more programs that are part of GNOME, but don't (necessarily) use the GNOME libs. Anyway, on the webpage, GIMP is listed as part of GNOME Office:
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/gimp.shtml

Lourens

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-12-03 18:08:44 UTC (over 21 years ago)

lourens@rainbowdesert.net (2002-12-03 at 1038.37 +0100):

True, but there are more programs that are part of GNOME, but don't (necessarily) use the GNOME libs. Anyway, on the webpage, GIMP is listed as part of GNOME Office:
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/gimp.shtml

They list OpenOffice, so the "what is and what is not" is really fuzzy. http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/index.shtml

Oh, well, another "is mine" war.

GSR