RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? forest monk 26 Sep 16:56
  how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 27 Sep 00:47
how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? forest monk 27 Sep 04:01
  how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 27 Sep 23:56
how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? forest monk 28 Sep 03:20
  how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 29 Sep 01:41
how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? forest monk 01 Oct 17:28
forest monk
2002-09-26 16:56:06 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi All,
I have a Gimp::Perl script that works fine locally and i wanna make it work through networking. Say, If i start a gimp perl server on a server machine, what should i do to be able to execute the script on a remote machine?I searched online resources and found that on server side, i need to setenv GIMP_HOST to [auth@][tcp/]hostname[:port] for tcp support, but what should i do on client side? do i need to install some client tools on the box or should i modify my script to include gimp::net module?

TIA

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2002-09-27 00:47:05 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:56:06PM +0000, forest monk wrote:

through networking. Say, If i start a gimp perl server on a server machine, what should i do to be able to execute the script on a remote machine?I searched online resources and found that on server side, i need to setenv GIMP_HOST to [auth@][tcp/]hostname[:port] for tcp support, but what should i do on client side? do i need to install some client tools on the box or should i modify my script to include gimp::net module?

Just the same, i.e. use sth. like this:

GIMP_HOST=password@10.0.0.1

and start the server, and then do the same on the client and start the perl script. You shouldn't need to modify your script, although modifying it can make some things easier (program structure can be much freeer, as you can decide when to conenct and disconnect).

forest monk
2002-09-27 04:01:57 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi pcg Marc,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Tried what you suggested but still could not get it to work. Got some error message like "Cannot locate Gimp.pm at @INC .....".
The following are the exact steps i did: 1.setenv GIMP_HOST password@1.2.3.4 on server box A(where the gimp, perl,gtk etc are installed);
2.start gimp perl server on server box A; 3.setenv GIMP_HOST password@1.2.3.4 on client box B; 4.start the script on client box B;

I am sure that the script works fine locally on server box A and there is no firewall issue between box A and B. Any insights will be very appreicated.

TIA

To: forest monk
CC: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:47:05 +0200

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:56:06PM +0000, forest monk wrote:

through networking. Say, If i start a gimp perl server on a server

machine,

what should i do to be able to execute the script on a remote machine?I searched online resources and found that on server side, i need to

setenv

GIMP_HOST to [auth@][tcp/]hostname[:port] for tcp support, but what

should

i do on client side? do i need to install some client tools on the box

or

should i modify my script to include gimp::net module?

Just the same, i.e. use sth. like this:

GIMP_HOST=password@10.0.0.1

and start the server, and then do the same on the client and start the perl script. You shouldn't need to modify your script, although modifying it can make some things easier (program structure can be much freeer, as you can decide when to conenct and disconnect).

-- -----==- | ----==-- _ | ---==---(_)__ __ ____ __ Marc Lehmann +-- --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / pcg@goof.com |e| -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ XX11-RIPE --+ The choice of a GNU generation | |

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2002-09-27 23:56:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:01:57AM +0000, forest monk wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply. Tried what you suggested but still could not get it to work. Got some error message like "Cannot locate Gimp.pm at @INC .....".

this actually looks as if gimp-perl wasn't installed at all. You have to have gimp-perl on both machines, of course.

forest monk
2002-09-28 03:20:20 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi Mac,
Thanks again for your reply. I do appreciate it. Not sure about one thing though: Do I only need the perl and gimp-perl module installed on my client box and no more software (Gtk+, GIMP) required?

Regards

CC: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:56:54 +0200

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:01:57AM +0000, forest monk wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply. Tried what you suggested but still could

not

get it to work. Got some error message like "Cannot locate Gimp.pm at

@INC

.....".

this actually looks as if gimp-perl wasn't installed at all. You have to have gimp-perl on both machines, of course.

-- -----==- | ----==-- _ | ---==---(_)__ __ ____ __ Marc Lehmann +-- --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / pcg@goof.com |e| -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ XX11-RIPE --+ The choice of a GNU generation | |

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2002-09-29 01:41:19 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 01:20:20AM +0000, forest monk wrote:

Thanks again for your reply. I do appreciate it. Not sure about one thing though: Do I only need the perl and gimp-perl module installed on my client box and no more software (Gtk+, GIMP) required?

In theory only gimp-perl (you can copy your perl lib dir if you are sure what you are doing). Although, while in theory it should be possible to build gimp-perl without gimp, the Makefiles don't really expect that and won't work.

You might try (as a hack, but it might work): perl Makefile.PL on the server machine, then copy the gimp-perl directory to the client "make -i -k install".

However, it's cleanest if you just install gimp + gimp-perl everywhere.

forest monk
2002-10-01 17:28:37 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi Marc,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will give it a shot.

Kindly Regards

CC: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] how to make Gimp::Perl script work remotely? Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 01:41:19 +0200

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 01:20:20AM +0000, forest monk wrote:

Thanks again for your reply. I do appreciate it. Not sure about one

thing

though: Do I only need the perl and gimp-perl module installed on my

client

box and no more software (Gtk+, GIMP) required?

In theory only gimp-perl (you can copy your perl lib dir if you are sure what you are doing). Although, while in theory it should be possible to build gimp-perl without gimp, the Makefiles don't really expect that and won't work.

You might try (as a hack, but it might work): perl Makefile.PL on the server machine, then copy the gimp-perl directory to the client "make -i -k install".

However, it's cleanest if you just install gimp + gimp-perl everywhere.