RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Need Vector Art....

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20020515190105.664CE1F070@l... 07 Oct 20:21
  xinput: Danni Coy 17 May 16:09
   xinput: Sven Neumann 17 May 16:44
   image magick-- help manjunath s 18 May 08:36
  Need Vector Art.... Danni Coy 06 Jul 10:34
   Need Vector Art.... Simon Budig 06 Jul 13:03
  Wacom tablet suggestion. Danni Coy 06 Jul 10:35
Danni Coy
2002-05-17 16:09:28 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

xinput:

How can I get a look at the xinput files for gimp 1.3.X I cant seem to find them in 1.3.5.... (or mention of there removal in the changelog) appologies if this question has already been asked.... Danni

Sven Neumann
2002-05-17 16:44:03 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

xinput:

Hi,

Danni Coy writes:

How can I get a look at the xinput files for gimp 1.3.X I cant seem to find them in 1.3.5.... (or mention of there removal in the changelog) appologies if this question has already been asked....

hmm, what xinput files are you referring to? Do you speak about the xinput-airbrush that has never been finished?

Salut, Sven

manjunath s
2002-05-18 08:36:23 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

image magick-- help

hi,
is it ok to use image magick(c++) functions inside gimp plugins?
pls help
thanx

___

Danni Coy
2002-07-06 10:34:46 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Need Vector Art....

Background.

Ok at the moment I have 2 reasons for booting Windows on my system. One is a Musical sequencing package and my pro soundcard. The other is the lack of a descent vector art package (on windows I use a combination of Expression2 and flash3).
After playing with a package called autotrace it occured to me that it would be not too difficult to set up a program that will allow me to create basic vector strokes and fills with my wacom tablet... Paint with pencil type tool onto bitmap(ie one bit per pixel) Convert this to a vector at the end of each stroke....

Questions.... 1) At this point I could either start on a simple stand alone app or try and extend an existing project like the gimp.(gimp 1.3 code seems to be a lot more readable). Which would be better at this point.

2)Is the brush code now modular enough to allow me to create a new brush tool for creating vector strokes. (ultimately this would be very simular to the pencil.

3) I know that dynamic text creates its own special layers... Is the system robust enough to allow the creation of 'vector' layers?

4) Gimp already uses a library (libart?) to do raster to vector conversions does anybody know how this compares to autotrace?

Thanks Danni

Danni Coy
2002-07-06 10:35:09 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Wacom tablet suggestion.

At the moment... brush size dictates the minimum size of brush. It would be more intuative if the brush size where the average.(when the pressure is at half the maximum pressure. Also It would be nice to be able to adjust the amount of size variation.

Simon Budig
2002-07-06 13:03:59 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Need Vector Art....

Danni Coy (rgcoy@midcoast.com.au) wrote:

Background.

Ok at the moment I have 2 reasons for booting Windows on my system. One is a Musical sequencing package and my pro soundcard. The other is the lack of a descent vector art package (on windows I use a combination of Expression2 and flash3).
After playing with a package called autotrace it occured to me that it would be not too difficult to set up a program that will allow me to create basic vector strokes and fills with my wacom tablet... Paint with pencil type tool onto bitmap(ie one bit per pixel) Convert this to a vector at the end of each stroke....

You might want to look at sketch and sodipodi. Maybe you'll find what you are looking for. But both have IIRC no explicit tablet support.

Questions....
1) At this point I could either start on a simple stand alone app or try and extend an existing project like the gimp.(gimp 1.3 code seems to be a lot more readable). Which would be better at this point.

I am not sure. To extend Gimp with a general vector infrastructure (in fact I am working on something like this, but progress is slow since I am very busy with other stuff right now) a lot of work has to be done. Starting a new project would be silly in my eyes. There are some interesting vector programs out there and the gimp is not the most obvious possible target.

2)Is the brush code now modular enough to allow me to create a new brush tool for creating vector strokes. (ultimately this would be very simular to the pencil.

Currently this is not possible. It would be cool though.

3) I know that dynamic text creates its own special layers... Is the system robust enough to allow the creation of 'vector' layers?

You can attach arbitrary data to regular layers. This is waht dynamic text does. You can modify text rendered by dynamic text with all tools, however, if you change the text it will get re-rendered and all changes are lost. Of course someone could do the same with the gfig plugin.

It is planned to make this mechanism more generic. For example to have adjustment layers or - as you intended - to have real vector layers.

4) Gimp already uses a library (libart?) to do raster to vector conversions does anybody know how this compares to autotrace?

libart is used to do vector -> raster conversions and is thus exactly the opposite thing to autotrace :-)

It is mainly used to convert bezier-curves to selections.

Hope this helps, Simon