RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp is being sold on Ebay :(

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp is being sold on Ebay :( MissCancellous via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 10:29
  Gimp is being sold on Ebay :( Pat David via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 15:14
   Gimp is being sold on Ebay :( Kasim Ahmic via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 15:45
    Gimp is being sold on Ebay :( Shlomi Fish 31 Jul 16:31
  Gimp is being sold on Ebay :( William Mckee via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 19:52
   Gimp is being sold on Ebay :( Pat David via gimp-web-list 02 Aug 00:34
MissCancellous via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 10:29:05 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi, all, I am pretty sure I am at the wrong address but frankly could not find anyone better to contact from the available list. Just wanted to let you know that you free!! and amazing Software

Pat David via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 15:14:05 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hello!

If they are providing the source code and appropriate license attributions, this shouldn't be a problem (though it is kind of shady).

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/blob/master/COPYING

It might make sense to call them out on the comments and point to www.gimp.org to make sure people realize it's free to download! :)

pat

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM MissCancellous via gimp-web-list < gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hi, all, I am pretty sure I am at the wrong address but frankly could not find anyone better to contact from the available list. Just wanted to let you know that you free!! and amazing Software

Kasim Ahmic via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 15:45:51 UTC (over 5 years ago)

See the following excerpt of the GNU GPL v3 license that GIMP uses:

“When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.”

Like Pat said, while shady, it is still permissible. And I’m noticing people have already pointed out that it is indeed free online and have linked to it as well. It couldn’t hurt to add additional comments just to make sure people are aware of it.

—— Kasim Ahmić

On Jul 31, 2018, at 11:14 AM, Pat David via gimp-web-list wrote:

Hello!

If they are providing the source code and appropriate license attributions, this shouldn't be a problem (though it is kind of shady).

It might make sense to call them out on the comments and point to www.gimp.org to make sure people realize it's free to download! :)

pat

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM MissCancellous via gimp-web-list < gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Shlomi Fish
2018-07-31 16:31:35 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:45:51 -0400 Kasim Ahmic via gimp-web-list wrote:

See the following excerpt of the GNU GPL v3 license that GIMP uses:

“When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.”

Like Pat said, while shady, it is still permissible. And I’m noticing people have already pointed out that it is indeed free online and have linked to it as well. It couldn’t hurt to add additional comments just to make sure people are aware of it.

Also see https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html .

——
Kasim Ahmić

On Jul 31, 2018, at 11:14 AM, Pat David via gimp-web-list wrote:

Hello!

pat

William Mckee via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 19:52:16 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi,

This use to be very common. Downloading would take forever so was better to buy a CD or floppy disk. PC magazines still today come with CDs containing free software.

Cheers,
William

On Wed., 1 Aug. 2018, 1:07 am MissCancellous via gimp-web-list, < gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Pat David via gimp-web-list
2018-08-02 00:34:54 UTC (over 5 years ago)

But thank you for taking the time to notify us of a possible problem! We appreciate the effort and thought! :D

pat

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 1:47 PM William Mckee via gimp-web-list < gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hi,

This use to be very common. Downloading would take forever so was better to buy a CD or floppy disk. PC magazines still today come with CDs containing free software.

Cheers,
William

On Wed., 1 Aug. 2018, 1:07 am MissCancellous via gimp-web-list, < gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote: