RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Get rid of the floating selection where possible?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

15ff1084d65.cc83b6c88058.49... 25 Nov 09:47
  Get rid of the floating selection where possible? Alexandre Prokoudine 25 Nov 09:46
   Get rid of the floating selection where possible? Cordylus Interneter 25 Nov 14:29
    Get rid of the floating selection where possible? Akkana Peck 25 Nov 20:01
     Get rid of the floating selection where possible? Cordylus Interneter 25 Nov 20:32
      Get rid of the floating selection where possible? Alexandre Prokoudine 25 Nov 20:49
       Get rid of the floating selection where possible? Cordylus Interneter 25 Nov 21:35
Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-11-25 09:46:44 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:36 AM, Cordylus Interneter wrote:

What are your thoughts on this?

https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap#Future

It's been sitting there waiting for a programmer to write code for quite a few years now.

Alex

Cordylus Interneter
2017-11-25 14:29:39 UTC (over 6 years ago)

You are probably talking about "Auto-anchoring of floating selection". I've seen it and thought it is about something else - I supposed that creating a new layer is not anchoring.

That's a bit strange to me that nobody prioritized it higher since this is the thing that you have to deal with daily, with every paste, but it's good to see it on the list anyway. Thank you for the answer.

---- On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 09:46:44 +0000 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote ---- > On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:36 AM, Cordylus Interneter wrote: >
> > What are your thoughts on this? >
> https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap#Future >
> It's been sitting there waiting for a programmer to write code for > quite a few years now.
>
> Alex
> _______________________________________________ > gimp-developer-list mailing list > List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org > List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list > List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list >

Akkana Peck
2017-11-25 20:01:53 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Cordylus Interneter writes:

You are probably talking about "Auto-anchoring of floating selection". I've seen it and thought it is about something else - I supposed that creating a new layer is not anchoring.

That's a bit strange to me that nobody prioritized it higher since this is the thing that you have to deal with daily, with every paste, but it's good to see it on the list anyway. Thank you for the answer.

For what it's worth, I agree with Cordylus. Floating selections are confusing because they look like a layer but don't behave like one. It would be much more understandable if paste just created a new layer, without any of the special behavior that floating selections have. Then people who want to merge that layer into the current layer can use Merge Down where today they'd use Anchor; no more steps than today.

I've heard people suggest that the reason it isn't designed like that is for the case where you want to anchor the floating selection onto a channel rather than a layer. But surely that's far less common than pasting as a new layer? One could design a UI that worked for that case ("Paste into channel"?) without interfering with a much more common operation.

Fortunately, for now, you can bind Ctrl-V to "Paste as->New Layer". So it's mostly an issue for people who teach classes, write howtos or answer user questions and have to try to explain what floating layers are and how to deal with them.

...Akkana

Cordylus Interneter
2017-11-25 20:32:38 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 20:01:53 +0000 Akkana Peck wrote: > Fortunately, for now, you can bind Ctrl-V to "Paste as->New Layer".

Actually, it is not the same as pasting as floating selection and converting to new layer afterwards. With this command it loses the position and pastes at the top left corner.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-11-25 20:49:54 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:32 PM, Cordylus Interneter wrote:

Actually, it is not the same as pasting as floating selection and converting to new layer afterwards. With this command it loses the position and pastes at the top left corner.

The regular Ctrl+V loses position anyway and places the clipboard contents to the center of the viewport. That's why git master has 'paste in place' now.

Alex

Cordylus Interneter
2017-11-25 21:35:50 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 20:49:54 +0000 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote: > The regular Ctrl+V loses position anyway and places the clipboard > contents to the center of the viewport. That's why git master has > 'paste in place' now.

Unless there is a selection, then it pastes at the center of the selection. Therefore when you do Ctrl+X Ctrl+V, you have it at the same place, that's what I was talking about. This is not the case with Paste as New Layer.

'Paste in place' should be a useful addition, although it is still possible to achieve the same result by saving selection to channel and restoring it before pasting. You can even copy the channel to another image to paste at the original location there, although this is quite cumbersome for a simple copy paste, so the new command is justified.