RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Hello!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Hello! Famiglietti, Andrew A 14 Sep 15:27
  Hello! Alexandre Prokoudine 14 Sep 16:05
   Hello! dana thurston 14 Sep 16:15
   Hello! Bill Skaggs 14 Sep 16:15
    Hello! Alexandre Prokoudine 14 Sep 16:21
     Hello! Bill Skaggs 14 Sep 16:28
      Hello! Famiglietti, Andrew A 14 Sep 16:51
  Hello! Julien Hardelin 15 Sep 05:50
Famiglietti, Andrew A
2017-09-14 15:27:34 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

Hi Gimp Documentation List!

I'm a professor in the English Department at West Chester University of Pennsylvania, and I'm planning to use Open Source Software documentation as a "real world" writing task for my Technical Writing Students this semester. I noticed your project was looking for documentation help and thought I would reach out. Some things you should know:

- I'm not going to swamp you with student pull requests. Students will file their drafts with me, first, and then I will pass them on to you only if I think they have a reasonably good end product, and I have an ok from the project

I was wondering:

- If you would be interested in seeing the documentation drafts students produce - If there was any particular area of documentation you were particularly in need of

Thanks so much for your time!

?

--- Andy Famiglietti, PhD
Assistant Professor of English, West Chester University http://copyvillain.org

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-09-14 16:05:14 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Famiglietti, Andrew A wrote:

I'm a professor in the English Department at West Chester University of Pennsylvania, and I'm planning to use Open Source Software documentation as a "real world" writing task for my Technical Writing Students this semester. I noticed your project was looking for documentation help and thought I would reach out. Some things you should know:

- I'm not going to swamp you with student pull requests. Students will file their drafts with me, first, and then I will pass them on to you only if I think they have a reasonably good end product, and I have an ok from the project

I was wondering:

- If you would be interested in seeing the documentation drafts students produce

Yes, definitely!

- If there was any particular area of documentation you were particularly in need of

Personally, I think that both "Getting Started" and "How do I Become a GIMP Wizard?" sections need revisiting, because a lot of chapters from the latter one belong to the foremr one really.

Moreover, the user manual is still missing updates for the upcoming v2.10. Julien Hardelin would be a better judge of that though.

Alex

dana thurston
2017-09-14 16:15:38 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

That is really cool, Professor!

Do you have your own YouTube/Vidme/Minds channel? I find that individuals put up videos and that is how I learn (and re-learn) techniques in GIMP.

Loyal user for 6 years.

Dana

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm a professor in the English Department at West Chester University of Pennsylvania, and I'm planning to use Open Source Software documentation

as

a "real world" writing task for my Technical Writing Students this

semester.

I noticed your project was looking for documentation help and thought I would reach out. Some things you should know:

- I'm not going to swamp you with student pull requests. Students will

file

their drafts with me, first, and then I will pass them on to you only if

I

think they have a reasonably good end product, and I have an ok from the project

I was wondering:

- If you would be interested in seeing the documentation drafts students produce

Yes, definitely!

- If there was any particular area of documentation you were

particularly in

need of

Personally, I think that both "Getting Started" and "How do I Become a GIMP Wizard?" sections need revisiting, because a lot of chapters from the latter one belong to the foremr one really.

Moreover, the user manual is still missing updates for the upcoming v2.10. Julien Hardelin would be a better judge of that though.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

Bill Skaggs
2017-09-14 16:15:53 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

It's very difficult for students to write about broad topics like that. The chances of getting a useful result are much higher if they focus on limited domains such as tools, plug-ins, resources, etc.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm a professor in the English Department at West Chester University of Pennsylvania, and I'm planning to use Open Source Software documentation

as

a "real world" writing task for my Technical Writing Students this

semester.

I noticed your project was looking for documentation help and thought I would reach out. Some things you should know:

- I'm not going to swamp you with student pull requests. Students will

file

their drafts with me, first, and then I will pass them on to you only if

I

think they have a reasonably good end product, and I have an ok from the project

I was wondering:

Yes, definitely!

- If there was any particular area of documentation you were

particularly in

need of

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-09-14 16:21:34 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Bill Skaggs wrote:

It's very difficult for students to write about broad topics like that.

Which of the two areas of concern that I mentioned do you find broad? :)

Alex

Bill Skaggs
2017-09-14 16:28:37 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

Maybe broad is not quite the right term, but I believe both would be hard for students to write about effectively, unless they have had quite a bit of experience using the software.

Bill

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Bill Skaggs wrote:

It's very difficult for students to write about broad topics like that.

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

Famiglietti, Andrew A
2017-09-14 16:51:26 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

Thanks for all the interest!

I'd work with students to try to find a narrow issue to address, in whatever category they choose to work in.

I find that students can have useful things to contribute when it comes to the onboarding process, since they are often newer users themselves and can think about what they needed to know getting started.

As for video, I'm not planning a video assignment this time around, but perhaps in the next iteration of the class...?

Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:28 PM
To: Alexandre Prokoudine
Cc: gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-docs] Hello!

Maybe broad is not quite the right term, but I believe both would be hard for students to write about effectively, unless they have had quite a bit of experience using the software.

Bill

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine > wrote:
On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Bill Skaggs > wrote:
> It's very difficult for students to write about broad topics like that.

Alex
Julien Hardelin
2017-09-15 05:50:41 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello!

Welcome,

Many chapters have to be updated, rebuilt or created. There is no complete list of what is to be done. You can find some indications in the "bug" list of Bugzila
:https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=gimp%20manual&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=GIMP-manual&query_format=specific. Also when you have built the html files of the work in progress, you will find a What's new in GIMP-2.10 section.

But the main way is to compare gimp-2.9.6 with the help html files.

The Gimp manual has a long history. Unless you want to create a completely new manual, your work has to fit the existing document.

I attach a How to contribute html file that summarizes my experience.

Julien Hardelin

Le 14/09/2017 à 17:27, Famiglietti, Andrew A a écrit :

I was wondering:

- If there was any particular area of documentation you were particularly in need of

Thanks so much for your time!

_______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org