RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

glib-networking required on Windows

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 12 May 17:39
  glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 13 May 10:06
   glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 13 May 10:11
    glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 13 May 10:14
     glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 18 May 18:08
      glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 18 May 18:10
       glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 18 May 18:12
        glib-networking required on Windows Michael Schumacher 20 May 08:06
         glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 20 May 15:15
          glib-networking required on Windows Michael Schumacher 20 May 15:28
           glib-networking required on Windows programmer_ceds 21 May 10:33
           glib-networking required on Windows Jehan Pagès 21 May 13:48
  glib-networking required on Windows Carol Spears 14 May 13:36
2017-05-12 17:39:39 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I have recently started building GIMP on Windows as per the GIMP Windows hacking page (with success until now) but have now fallen foul of the requirement for glib-networking.

I have entered the following command in MSYS2:

pacman -S mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-glib-networking

The install seemed to be successful but the GIMP autogen fails, saying that glib-networking is missing.

Can somebody tell me what else I need to do please?

2017-05-13 10:06:42 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

By entering the following lines into mingw64 I can now get the gimp autogen to work:

Richard@HomePC MINGW64 ~ $ pacman -S base-devel \

mingw-w64-x86_64-glib-networking

Then press Enter to select all of the options.

This process automatically installs gnutls and nettle (referenced in Partha's post)

The final line of the three listed above should be added to the relevant section on the GIMP Windows hacking page.

I have recently started building GIMP on Windows as per the GIMP Windows hacking page (with success until now) but have now fallen foul of the requirement for glib-networking.

I have entered the following command in MSYS2:

pacman -S mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-glib-networking

The install seemed to be successful but the GIMP autogen fails, saying that glib-networking is missing.

Can somebody tell me what else I need to do please?

2017-05-13 10:11:35 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Sorry, he above post didn't appear quite as intended. The three lines types into mingw64 should look like:

mingw-w64-x86_64-glib-networking

(lines typed manually now rather than cut and paste which seemed to upset the formatting)

By entering the following lines into mingw64 I can now get the gimp autogen to work:

Then press Enter to select all of the options.

This process automatically installs gnutls and nettle (referenced in Partha's post)

The final line of the three listed above should be added to the relevant section on the GIMP Windows hacking page.

2017-05-13 10:14:25 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Still wrong - try again with quotes

"Richard@HomePC MINGW64 ~" "$ pacman -S base-devel \"
"> mingw-w64-x86_64-glib-networking"

(If that doesn't work I give up but I'm sure that the intent can be seen!)

Sorry, he above post didn't appear quite as intended. The three lines types into mingw64 should look like:

(lines typed manually now rather than cut and paste which seemed to upset the formatting)

Carol Spears
2017-05-14 13:36:16 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM, programmer_ceds wrote:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2017-May/msg00048.html

This thread in the developer list contains everything you need to know and maybe more.

carol

2017-05-18 18:08:27 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I thought that I had this sorted - at least GIMP built with glib-networking the other day. Now the autogen for GIMP says that it can't find glib-networking and I can't find a .dll for it.

Trying a different tack to that noted above I have downloaded glib-networking-2.50-0 and extracted it.

I have then used the following commands which all seem to complete successfully:

./configure --without-ca-certificates --prefix=PREFIX --disable-static make
make install

What else do I need to do to generate the required file for a Windows build of GIMP please?

2017-05-18 18:10:38 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I thought that I had this sorted - at least GIMP built with glib-networking the other day. Now the autogen for GIMP says that it can't find glib-networking and I can't find a .dll for it.

Trying a different tack to that noted above I have downloaded glib-networking-2.50-0 and extracted it.

I have then used the following commands which all seem to complete successfully:

./configure --without-ca-certificates --prefix=PREFIX --disable-static make
make install

What else do I need to do to generate the required file for a Windows build of GIMP please?

(Formatting on this site caused the make to appear at the end of the configure line - but it is correct in the quoted text!)

2017-05-18 18:12:38 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

(Formatting on this site caused the make to appear at the end of the configure line - but it is correct in the quoted text!)

What is it with this site? The text appeared correctly in the quoted section when I was typing the last post but when it is displayed it is wrong. What do I need to do to get the formatting that I wanted - after all it says plain text only?

Michael Schumacher
2017-05-20 08:06:59 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 05/18/2017 08:12 PM, programmer_ceds wrote:

What is it with this site? The text appeared correctly in the quoted section when I was typing the last post but when it is displayed it is wrong. What do I need to do to get the formatting that I wanted - after all it says plain text only?

You could subscribe to the original mailing list and use a proper mail client - the list is set up to allow for plain text only, to keep it usable for all clients and devices.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-05-20 15:15:17 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Having looked at the GIMP developer mailing list archives I can't say I relish having my email address exposed - I get enough spam as it is.

Perhaps I have led a sheltered existence but in over 40 years of earning a living writing and designing software I have never come across an editor (WYSIWYG or plain text) that autonomously removes line breaks.

I suppose that I will have to go back to an earlier set of sources or wait until there is a compiled version that uses glib-networking available.

You could subscribe to the original mailing list and use a proper mail client - the list is set up to allow for plain text only, to keep it usable for all clients and devices.

Michael Schumacher
2017-05-20 15:28:44 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 05/20/2017 05:15 PM, programmer_ceds wrote:

Perhaps I have led a sheltered existence but in over 40 years of earning a living writing and designing software I have never come across an editor (WYSIWYG or plain text) that autonomously removes line breaks.

For what it is worth, everything you wrote seems to show up as intended on the mailing list. This could means that the issue is display-only, or at least that the mail gimpusers.com sends to the list is left intact.

I suppose that I will have to go back to an earlier set of sources or wait until there is a compiled version that uses glib-networking available.

This is GIMP 2.8.22 - adding glib-networking was one of the points to make this release.

BTW, this also seems to have given us transparent proxy support - i.e. file access from locations where a proxy server is mandatory may now just work. Can anyone confirm this?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-05-21 10:33:21 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Thanks for your reply - I hadn't realised that this change had been added to V2.8 as well as 2.9.

I have found the answer to my problem. The make of glib-networking that I did had worked but I had made two mistakes. Firstly I was looking for glib-networking.dll rather than libgiognutls.dll. Secondly although I had tried putting liggiognutls.dll into my prefix lib folder it actually has to go into the prefix\lib\gio\modules folder.

At least autogen.sh now completes successfully. It might be clearer if the autogen message referred to libgiognutls (in addition to glib-networking) then at least I wouldn't have spent a while looking for the wrong file.

For what it is worth, everything you wrote seems to show up as intended
on the mailing list. This could means that the issue is display-only, or
at least that the mail gimpusers.com sends to the list is left intact. This is GIMP 2.8.22 - adding glib-networking was one of the points to make this release.

BTW, this also seems to have given us transparent proxy support - i.e. file access from locations where a proxy server is mandatory may now just work. Can anyone confirm this?

Jehan Pagès
2017-05-21 13:48:04 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 05/20/2017 05:15 PM, programmer_ceds wrote:

For what it is worth, everything you wrote seems to show up as intended on the mailing list. This could means that the issue is display-only, or at least that the mail gimpusers.com sends to the list is left intact.

This is GIMP 2.8.22 - adding glib-networking was one of the points to make this release.

Checking out the contents of the glib-networking RPM on Fedora for instance, I see the following libs:

/usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

So there are indeed 2 additional GIO modules with the word "proxy" in it. I would assume that it explains your guess. This said, checking the prebuilt packages for Windows (both the Fedora and OpenSUSE ones), I see only one DLL:

lib/gio/modules/libgiognutls.dll

Why aren't the other proxy-related modules not built there? Are they based on technologies not available on Windows? On which platform did you notice that transparent proxy support works?

Jehan

--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot