RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to scan scan under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2016-08-31 07:16:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hi,
I have Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 and would like to scan into GIMP.

I installed the Samsung M2070 scanner/printer and I have the following folder contents:

1.Library- Application Support - Samsung- TWAIN Discovery - Samsung M2070 Series - Scanner auswaehlen 2.Library - Image Capture - Devices - Samsung Scanner 3.Library - Twain Data Sources - SamsungM2070 Series.ds

After the new installation of GIMP 2.8.18 no menu create - from Scanner can be found.

Could you understand why?

The printer and scanner work without problems.

Best regards Zbig

Richard
2016-09-04 19:06:47 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I'm not sure I understand your latest response (other than that your scanner IS set up properly on your system, as it should be).

In GIMP, in the File menu, right underneath "New..." there should be an option called "Create" that opens a submenu, on which there should be an option labeled "Scanner/Camera". This option should be on the menu even if you don't have any registered TWAIN devices connected/available for GIMP to read from.

I don't have a Mac system so I can't reproduce the scenario myself and I'm kind of in the dark here. One important question to know is -- is yours one of those printer+scanner combo units?

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:16 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] How to scan scan under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

[ . . . ]
After the new installation of GIMP 2.8.18 no menu create - from Scanner can be
found.

Could you understand why?

The printer and scanner work without problems.

Best regards Zbig

--
Zbig (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Forums - gimpusers.com
www.gimpusers.com
Forums. While there are many different GIMP forums of there, our own forums provide an extended way to communicate because they are connected to the official GIMP ...
Rick Strong
2016-09-04 20:24:25 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Interesting stuff (was: Re: How to scan scan under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5)

Some interesting stuff in that "Create" menu item. Thanks.

Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: Richard
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2016 3:06 PM To: Zbig ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] How to scan scan under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

. . . . In GIMP, in the File menu, right underneath "New..." there should be an option called "Create" that opens a submenu, on which there should be an option labeled "Scanner/Camera" . . .

Partha Bagchi
2016-09-05 16:27:50 UTC (over 7 years ago)

You cannot scan from GIMP on OSX.

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Rick Strong wrote:

Some interesting stuff in that "Create" menu item. Thanks.

Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2016 3:06 PM To: Zbig ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org

. . . . In GIMP, in the File menu, right underneath "New..." there should be an option called "Create" that opens a submenu, on which there should be an option labeled "Scanner/Camera" . . .

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Richard
2016-09-07 16:39:36 UTC (over 7 years ago)

That would have been awesome to know sooner. :)

Anyway, Zbig, looks like you're slightly out of luck. If your GIMP can't access your scanner then you'll just have to use the scanner by itself (try pressing the Scan button on the scanner unit and see what software your system calls to handle the scanner event). Once you've scanned your image to a file then you can open that file in GIMP like any other.

--------------------

Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 9:27 AM
To: Rick Strong
Cc: Richard; gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Interesting stuff (was: Re: How to scan scan under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5)

You cannot scan from GIMP on OSX.

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Rick Strong > wrote:
Some interesting stuff in that "Create" menu item.  Thanks.

Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: Richard
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2016 3:06 PM
To: Zbig ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org

. . . .
In GIMP, in the File menu, right underneath "New..." there should be an option called "Create" that opens a submenu, on which there should be an option labeled "Scanner/Camera"  . . .
2016-09-08 08:38:13 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

That would have been awesome to know sooner. :)

Anyway, Zbig, looks like you're slightly out of luck. If your GIMP can't access your scanner then you'll just have to use the scanner by itself (try pressing the Scan button on the scanner unit and see what software your system calls to handle the scanner event). Once you've scanned your image to a file then you can open that file in GIMP like any other.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------

Thank you Stratadrake,
this basic kind of scanning works. But I would like to scan under GIMP what is quicker and I always used it under Windows GIMP. Zbig

Richard
2016-09-13 00:33:00 UTC (over 7 years ago)

If you're talking about the window and controls that appear when you're configuring how you want it to be scanned (e.g. exposure, brightness/contrast, crop area, etc.), this part actually *isn't* GIMP's doing at all. It's actually managed by the software drivers installed on your system, and GIMP is simply calling on it to deliver a scanned image.

And, as the other person already stated, GIMP simply has NO scanner support on Mac. Whatsoever. At all.

However, like I was trying to say earlier, this isn't the end of the story. You can still access the scanner in some capacity outside of GIMP (preferably with comprehensive exposure controls), then open the resulting saved image in GIMP. I can't be of 100% help here since I don't have a Mac myself to work on, but I might be able to look up some steps if you answer these questions:

1 - Is it a dedicated scanner, or a printer/scanner combo unit?

2 - What brand and model number is it?

If I know that, I can start searching for answers.

--------------------

Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:38 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] How to scan scan under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

>That would have been awesome to know sooner. :)
>
>
>Anyway, Zbig, looks like you're slightly out of luck.  If your GIMP
>can't access your scanner then you'll just have to use the scanner by
>itself (try pressing the Scan button on the scanner unit and see what
>software your system calls to handle the scanner event).  Once you've
>scanned your image to a file then you can open that file in GIMP like
>any other.
>
>
>-- Stratadrake
>strata_ranger@hotmail.com
>--------------------
>Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Thank you Stratadrake,
this basic kind of scanning works. But I would like to scan under GIMP what is
quicker and I always used it under Windows GIMP.
Zbig

--
Forums - gimpusers.com
www.gimpusers.com
Forums. While there are many different GIMP forums of there, our own forums provide an extended way to communicate because they are connected to the official GIMP ...
2016-09-19 17:45:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hi Stratadrake,
I am very sad to hear that GIMP on Mac doesn't support direct scanning. I was very got used to this feature on Windows. In the User Manual of GIMP I can read that in the File directory one can find the Create -- > from Scanner button if there is an Image Capture device installed.

But now coming back to your questions:

-I tested the scanner feature on two scanners: -Samsung m2017 which is the scanner/printer http://www.samsung.com/de/business/support/model/SL-M2070FW/XEC -Canon Lide 210, which is the dedicated scanner https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/scanners/photo-scanner/canoscan-lide-210

In both cases I installed the newest version of the drivers and I can use the both scanners using Samsung/Canon tools, or Mac tools like Image Capture or printer/scanner from the settings-->printer/scanner. Both producers claim the drivers are TWAIN compatible.

Maybe the community could develop this feature for MAC?

Thank you and best regards

Zig

I was about to download the sane libraries to tackle the problem but then I saw that SANE doesn't support my backends.

If you're talking about the window and controls that appear when you're configuring how you want it to be scanned (e.g. exposure, brightness/contrast, crop area, etc.), this part actually *isn't* GIMP's doing at all. It's actually managed by the software drivers installed on your system, and GIMP is simply calling on it to deliver a scanned image.

And, as the other person already stated, GIMP simply has NO scanner support on Mac. Whatsoever. At all.

However, like I was trying to say earlier, this isn't the end of the story. You can still access the scanner in some capacity outside of GIMP (preferably with comprehensive exposure controls), then open the resulting saved image in GIMP. I can't be of 100% help here since I don't have a Mac myself to work on, but I might be able to look up some steps if you answer these questions:

--------------------

DaveC
2016-09-20 15:18:18 UTC (over 7 years ago)

If you are comfortable with some light hacking (the good kind), these folks found a way to re-install Twain features in some OS X versions (Mav, Yose only):

http://janegil.net/2014/01/twain-scanners-in-os-x-maverick/

Good luck, Dave

-=-=-=-

Hi Stratadrake,
I am very sad to hear that GIMP on Mac doesn't support direct scanning. I was very got used to this feature on Windows. In the User Manual of GIMP I can read that in the File directory one can find the Create -- > from Scanner button if there is an Image Capture device installed.

But now coming back to your questions:

-I tested the scanner feature on two scanners: -Samsung m2017 which is the scanner/printer http://www.samsung.com/de/business/support/model/SL-M2070FW/XEC -Canon Lide 210, which is the dedicated scanner https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/scanners/photo-scanner/canoscan-lide-210

In both cases I installed the newest version of the drivers and I can use the both scanners using Samsung/Canon tools, or Mac tools like Image Capture or printer/scanner from the settings-->printer/scanner. Both producers claim the drivers are TWAIN compatible.

Maybe the community could develop this feature for MAC?

Thank you and best regards

Zig

I was about to download the sane libraries to tackle the problem but then I saw that SANE doesn't support my backends.

--------------------

--
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-09-20 20:32:42 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hi Dave,
nice to have this very interesting thread. As I correctly understood it people were trying togged their scanners recognized under El Capitan. My problem is slightly different. I can use scanners under El Capitan from the different mac tools but what I can't is to use them directly from GIMP. Maybe times will come when I can?

Regards Zbigniew

If you are comfortable with some light hacking (the good kind), these folks found a way to re-install Twain features in some OS X versions (Mav, Yose only):

http://janegil.net/2014/01/twain-scanners-in-os-x-maverick/

Good luck, Dave

-=-=-=-