RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Converting Plug-ins from GIMP (despeckle)

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Converting Plug-ins from GIMP (despeckle) Gregg Hauser 18 Jul 22:39
  Converting Plug-ins from GIMP (despeckle) Michael Natterer 19 Jul 10:27
Gregg Hauser
2016-07-18 22:39:57 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

I'm considering converting existing GIMP plug-ins to use GEGL, looking initially at despeckle.c

The algorithm changes the source buffer if "Recursive" mode is chosen.

Question: Is changing the source buffer returned by gegl_buffer_get acceptable?

Request for Comments: The basic algorithm in GIMP's despleckle chooses a pixel randomly from those pixels closest to the median in luminance, avoiding pixels above and below user specified levels of luminance. Colors may change as long as the luminance of the pixel chosen is close to median around the pixel being calculated. This seems like a disaster to me. The 3 channel median-blur.c algorithm in gegl/workshop seems a lot closer to what this plug-in should be than the original code in GIMP. The literature is full of other despeckle algorithms, some of which preserve detail better than the median technique. Some despeckle algorithms are appropriate for black and white images only.

Question: Does the 2.10 or 3.00 version of GIMP need to slavishly mimic the existing plug-ins?

- Gregg

Michael Natterer
2016-07-19 10:27:52 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Mon, 2016-07-18 at 15:39 -0700, Gregg Hauser wrote:

I'm considering converting existing GIMP plug-ins to use GEGL, looking 
initially at  despeckle.c

Hi Greg,

that's great news, new contributors are very welcome :)

The algorithm changes the source buffer if "Recursive" mode is chosen.

Question: Is changing the source buffer returned by gegl_buffer_get  acceptable?

This plug-in falls in the "filter" category and you would get rid of the GIMP plug-in alltogether and write a GEGL op, which will then gets its GIMP GUI auto-generated. This is also the much easier approach, you can simply port such filters to float, drop the GUI and done.

Request for Comments: The basic algorithm in GIMP's despleckle chooses a 
pixel randomly from those pixels closest to the median in luminance,  avoiding pixels above and below user specified levels of luminance.  Colors may change as long as the luminance of the pixel chosen is close 
to median around the pixel being calculated. This seems like a disaster 
to me. The 3 channel median-blur.c algorithm in gegl/workshop seems a 
lot closer to what this plug-in should be than the original code in  GIMP. The literature is full of other despeckle algorithms, some of  which preserve detail better than the median technique. Some despeckle 
algorithms are appropriate for black and white images only.

I'm not the master of algorithms here, maybe somebody else can answer that question...

Question: Does the 2.10 or 3.00 version of GIMP need to slavishly mimic 
the existing plug-ins?

It is preferred, unless the GIMP plug-in code is broken or otherwise totally shitty. We'd like to auto-redirect scripts calling the plug-in to the new GEGL op, and that works best if they do exactly the same. It's not a strict rule tho and probably mostly depends on you own judgement, because having looked into the issue makes you the foremost expert on despeckle :) (GIMP plug-ins don't get a lot of attention usually).

Regards, --Mitch