RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GSoC/Outreachy 2016

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GSoC/Outreachy 2016 Romaissa Kitouni 04 Mar 15:09
  GSoC/Outreachy 2016 Tobias Jakobs 05 Mar 23:18
Romaissa Kitouni
2016-03-04 15:09:17 UTC (about 8 years ago)

GSoC/Outreachy 2016

Greetings!

I am a student from Constantine 2 university, Algeria. I have been a Gimp user for nearly ten years, and I got interested, more recently, in its development and more generally in open source work. After successfully building gimp, I have been going through the code and trying to solve some issues, though I can't say I am very successful for the time being, as it takes some time for me to understand both the object system and the transformation algorithms.

As it is already this time of the year, I have taken a look at organizations for Google Summer of Code or Outreachy programs, and it seems Gimp isn't a part of it this year.

My question is: would it be acceptable to submit a proposal to work on gimp through another related organization (like Gnome project?). If yes, which ones? I am aware there has to be mentors available for each project, so I thought asking directly would be better.  

As I have been lurking in the community for some weeks, it seemed to me that the main needs right now are the porting of Gimp filters/operations to GEGL, and solving some usability issues. More generally, I went through this page a few times http://wiki.gimp.org/wi ki/Hacking:GSoC/Future/Ideas, and I would be very grateful to have the input of more experimented developers on which ideas are the more relevant right now to work on (not necessarily in an internship program). Any kind of advices would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Tobias Jakobs
2016-03-05 23:18:53 UTC (about 8 years ago)

GSoC/Outreachy 2016

Hello Romaissa,

I'm not a Gimp developer. But one thing you could try is to ask the Gnome Photo developer. They use GEGL too. Perhaps they need help.

Regards, Tobias

2016-03-04 16:09 GMT+01:00 Romaissa Kitouni :

Greetings!

I am a student from Constantine 2 university, Algeria. I have been a Gimp user for nearly ten years, and I got interested, more recently, in its development and more generally in open source work. After successfully building gimp, I have been going through the code and trying to solve some issues, though I can't say I am very successful for the time being, as it takes some time for me to understand both the object system and the transformation algorithms.

As it is already this time of the year, I have taken a look at organizations for Google Summer of Code or Outreachy programs, and it seems Gimp isn't a part of it this year.

My question is: would it be acceptable to submit a proposal to work on gimp through another related organization (like Gnome project?). If yes, which ones? I am aware there has to be mentors available for each project, so I thought asking directly would be better.

As I have been lurking in the community for some weeks, it seemed to me that the main needs right now are the porting of Gimp filters/operations to GEGL, and solving some usability issues. More generally, I went through this page a few times http://wiki.gimp.org/wi ki/Hacking:GSoC/Future/Ideas, and I would be very grateful to have the input of more experimented developers on which ideas are the more relevant right now to work on (not necessarily in an internship program). Any kind of advices would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your inputs! _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list