RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

'make pdf' fails

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

'make pdf' fails Julien Hardelin 04 Dec 07:21
  'make pdf' fails Ulf-D. Ehlert 04 Dec 19:44
   566202B7.3080908@wanadoo.fr 06 Dec 19:09
    'make pdf' fails Ulf-D. Ehlert 06 Dec 14:08
     'make pdf' fails Julien Hardelin 07 Dec 20:17
      'make pdf' fails Ulf-D. Ehlert 08 Dec 13:54
       'make pdf' fails Julien Hardelin 10 Dec 07:31
        'make pdf' fails Ulf-D. Ehlert 10 Dec 13:33
         'make pdf' fails Joao S. O. Bueno 10 Dec 16:11
       'make pdf' fails Ulf-D. Ehlert 11 Dec 19:48
        'make pdf' fails Julien Hardelin 11 Dec 20:19
         'make pdf' fails Kolbjørn Stuestøl 12 Dec 20:59
         'make pdf' fails Ulf-D. Ehlert 13 Dec 20:13
Julien Hardelin
2015-12-04 07:21:17 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

Hi,
When I run 'make pdf-fr' I get the error *** cannot build PDFs because dblatex(1) was not found ***.

dblatex is yet installed. The executable is in /usr/bin and this path is in the $PATH variable.
fr XML files are created.
If I run dblatex directly on an xml file, the corresponding pdf file is created...

I use Ubuntu-15.10

What is wrong with 'make pdf'?

Julien Hardelin

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2015-12-04 19:44:03 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 08:21:17AM +0100, Julien Hardelin wrote:

Hi,
When I run 'make pdf-fr' I get the error *** cannot build PDFs because dblatex(1) was not found ***.

dblatex is yet installed. The executable is in /usr/bin and this path is in the $PATH variable.
fr XML files are created.
If I run dblatex directly on an xml file, the corresponding pdf file is created...

I use Ubuntu-15.10

What is wrong with 'make pdf'?

Rebuild your Makefile with "configure" or "autogen.sh".

Ulf

Pleonasmus: Aberglaube.
		-- Karlheinz Deschner
Ulf-D. Ehlert
2015-12-06 14:08:35 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 10:16:39PM +0100, Julien Hardelin wrote:

**Rebuild your Makefile with "configure" or "autogen.sh".

It's better.

But now I have another error: ....
/Build gimp.pdf
built-in module xetex registered
no support found for ifthen
no support found for ifxetex
no support found for fontspec
no support found for xltxtra
no support found for fontenc
no support found for ucs
no support found for inputenc
no support found for fancybox
built-in module makeidx registered
no support found for babel
no support found for cmap
no support found for db2latex
built-in module bibtopic registered
building additional files...
checking if compiling is necessary... the output file doesn't exist
xelatex -interaction=batchmode gimp.tex

A possible reason for transformation failure is invalid DocBook (as reported by xmllint)

Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory /
What is the valid DocBook ?
docbook-4.5-5, docbook2x-0.8.8.9, docbook-utils are installed.

Same here. "make html-fr", "make pdf-en", and "make pdf-de" worked, "make pdf-fr" failed.

Maybe this is related to the "Compatibility with the french package" problem mentioned in the babel user guide (try "texdoc babel")?

Ulf

Die Menschen fürchten das Morgen und haben aus ihrer Furcht
einen Gott gemacht.
		-- Terry Pratchett, "Weiberregiment"
Julien Hardelin
2015-12-07 20:17:23 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

Same here. "make html-fr", "make pdf-en", and "make pdf-de" worked, "make pdf-fr" failed.

Maybe this is related to the "Compatibility with the french package" problem mentioned in the babel user guide (try "texdoc babel")?

"make pdf-fr" works under OpenSuse-LEAP-42.1! It does not work under Ubuntu-15.10 and 1.04. That looks like a problem with Ubuntu. Which OS did you use to test?

I don't understand the relation with Babel.

Julien

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2015-12-08 13:54:05 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:17:23PM +0100, Julien Hardelin wrote:

"make pdf-fr" works under OpenSuse-LEAP-42.1! It does not work under Ubuntu-15.10 and 1.04. That looks like a problem with Ubuntu. Which OS did you use to test?

openSUSE-13.2, but self-built dblatex-0.3.7 and the Tex Live-2015 DVD from http://tug.org/texlive/ instead of openSUSE's packages.

I don't understand the relation with Babel.

'lang="fr"' in the French gimp.xml file seemed to be the problem.

The babel user guide reads:

"4.3 Compatibility with the french package It has been reported to me that the package french by Bernard Gaulle (gaulle@idris.fr) works together with babel. On the other hand, it seems not to work well together with a lot of other packages. Therefore I have decided to no longer load french.ldf by default. Instead, when you want to use the package by Bernard Gaulle, you will have to request it specifically, by passing either frenchle or frenchpro as an option to babel."

'frenchle' and 'frenchpro' are obsolete, but there's a package named 'babel-french'. When I installed that package *and* changed the dblatex language file:

--- /usr/share/dblatex/xsl/lang.xsl 2015-08-07 ... +++ /usr/share/dblatex/xsl/lang.xsl 2015-12-08 ... @@ -106,7 +106,7 @@
spanish
estonian
finnish
- french
+ frenchb
irish
scottish
galician

it worked.

Bye, Ulf

Typisch für den Politiker ist nicht, daß er eine Partei
vertritt, sondern daß er jede vertreten könnte.
		-- Karlheinz Deschner
Julien Hardelin
2015-12-10 07:31:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

'frenchle' and 'frenchpro' are obsolete, but there's a package named 'babel-french'. When I installed that package *and* changed the dblatex language file:

--- /usr/share/dblatex/xsl/lang.xsl 2015-08-07 ... +++ /usr/share/dblatex/xsl/lang.xsl 2015-12-08 ... @@ -106,7 +106,7 @@
spanish
estonian
finnish
- french
+ frenchb
irish
scottish
galician

it worked.

I downloaded the babel-french package. Its installation is not clear fo me :

/== INSTALLATION ==//////If the latest version of this package is not included in your LaTeX////distribution, do the following://////* issue "luatex frenchb.ins" to unpack the language definition files,////* copy the files frenchb.ldf and frenchb.lua to a location where TeX////can find them (default location: $TEXMF/tex/generic/babel-french/)./

Please, could you explain me all that? Consider me as a newbie in this domain.

Julien

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2015-12-10 13:33:36 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 08:31:08AM +0100, Julien Hardelin wrote:

== INSTALLATION == If the latest version of this package is not included in your LaTeX distribution, do the following:
* issue "luatex frenchb.ins" to unpack the language definition files, * copy the files frenchb.ldf and frenchb.lua to a location where TeX can find them (default location: $TEXMF/tex/generic/babel-french/)./

Please, could you explain me all that?

Note that my solution worked for me, but that does not mean that it's the correct/best/only way. You should first check how it works under openSUSE-Leap, e.g. check /path/to/dblatex/.../lang.xsl, check which babel or french package are installed, etc. Maybe there's a much better way (without patching dblatex).

And remember that I bypassed the openSUSE package system, I'm using a Tex Live DVD. All *I* had to do was "tlmgr install babel-french"...

Consider me as a newbie in this domain.

... and that's all I know - I'm a newbie too!

I recommend that you install the proper Ubuntu (or Debian?) package, e.g.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/texlive-lang-french or
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/texlive-lang-french

Alternatively you can try to just follow the instructions. Set TEXMF to ~/.texmf and install the files:

luatex frenchb.ins TEXMF=~/.texmf
mkdir -vp $TEXMF/{tex,source,doc}/generic/babel-french cp -pv frenchb.{ldf,lua} $TEXMF/tex/generic/babel-french cp -pv frenchb.{dtx,ins} $TEXMF/source/generic/babel-french cp -pv frenchb.pdf README $TEXMF/doc/generic/babel-french

Look easy. :) Good luck! ;)

Bye, Ulf

Wer über den Berg ist - geht abwärts.
		-- Karlheinz Deschner
Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-12-10 16:11:27 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

I managed to get the stack to genreate ODF's (Open Docuement Files) to work during last year - in an old install - and it was quite some work on a fedora system. Not sure if I'd still be able to do it on my new system. At the end of the process I had to manually open (unzip and edit the xml) the generated file to fix something (character encoding related)

I think PDF's are easier to get by - not sure if it would work out-of-the box here as well.

js -> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 08:31:08AM +0100, Julien Hardelin wrote:

== INSTALLATION == If the latest version of this package is not included in your LaTeX distribution, do the following:
* issue "luatex frenchb.ins" to unpack the language definition files, * copy the files frenchb.ldf and frenchb.lua to a location where TeX can find them (default location: $TEXMF/tex/generic/babel-french/)./

Please, could you explain me all that?

Note that my solution worked for me, but that does not mean that it's the correct/best/only way. You should first check how it works under openSUSE-Leap, e.g. check /path/to/dblatex/.../lang.xsl, check which babel or french package are installed, etc. Maybe there's a much better way (without patching dblatex).

And remember that I bypassed the openSUSE package system, I'm using a Tex Live DVD. All *I* had to do was "tlmgr install babel-french"...

Consider me as a newbie in this domain.

... and that's all I know - I'm a newbie too!

I recommend that you install the proper Ubuntu (or Debian?) package, e.g.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/texlive-lang-french or
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/texlive-lang-french

Alternatively you can try to just follow the instructions. Set TEXMF to ~/.texmf and install the files:

luatex frenchb.ins TEXMF=~/.texmf
mkdir -vp $TEXMF/{tex,source,doc}/generic/babel-french cp -pv frenchb.{ldf,lua} $TEXMF/tex/generic/babel-french cp -pv frenchb.{dtx,ins} $TEXMF/source/generic/babel-french cp -pv frenchb.pdf README $TEXMF/doc/generic/babel-french

Look easy. :) Good luck! ;)

Bye, Ulf

--
Wer über den Berg ist - geht abwärts. -- Karlheinz Deschner

_______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2015-12-11 19:48:16 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 02:54:05PM +0100, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote: [...]

there's a package named 'babel-french'. When I installed that package *and* changed the dblatex language file:

meanwhile it works for me without changing any dblatex file - I don't know what I made wrong some days ago...

So it seems that all you have to do is to install the proper package from your distribution (e.g. texlive-lang-french or babel-french).

Bye, Ulf

Mißtraut denen, die da sagen, dass Gott auf ihrer Seite steht.
Sie sind nur so nah ihrem Gott, weil sie so fern dem Menschen sind.
		-- Michael Schmidt-Salomon
Julien Hardelin
2015-12-11 20:19:29 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

"So it seems that all you have to do is to install the proper package from your distribution (e.g. texlive-lang-french or babel-french)"

Unfortunately no. texlive-lang-french has been installed from a long tme and babel-french is unknown in my system.

Julien

Kolbjørn Stuestøl
2015-12-12 20:59:12 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

I was a bit curious inspired by this discussion, and tried to make a pdf file. Near the same result as Julien got:

Build gimp.pdf built-in module xetex registered no support found for ifxetex
no support found for fontspec
no support found for xltxtra
no support found for fontenc
no support found for ucs
no support found for inputenc
no support found for fancybox
built-in module makeidx registered no support found for babel
no support found for cmap
no support found for db2latex
built-in module bibtopic registered building additional files...
checking if compiling is necessary... the output file doesn't exist
xelatex -interaction=batchmode gimp.tex Unexpected error occured
Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory Makefile:1492: recipe for target 'pdf/nn/gimp.pdf' failed make: *** [pdf/nn/gimp.pdf] Error 1

I am running this using CygWin 64 on Windows 7 Home. All the modules not found are installed. "make validate-nn" returns no errors. Making HTML files works as expected. To be on the safe side I also run autogen.sh with parameters. No errors. I tried both "make pdf" and "make pdf-nn". Same result.

I have no plans building pdf files for this help, so there is no reason using time to fix this. As said, I am just curious. If needed, I think I am able to make pdf files from the HTML files. Mostly I write this to tell that there at least is one more having problems with the "make pdf" command.

Kolbjrn

Den 11.12.2015 21:19, Julien Hardelin skreiv:

"So it seems that all you have to do is to install the proper package from your distribution (e.g. texlive-lang-french or babel-french)"

Unfortunately no. texlive-lang-french has been installed from a long tme and babel-french is unknown in my system.

Julien _______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2015-12-13 20:13:07 UTC (over 8 years ago)

'make pdf' fails

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:19:29PM +0100, Julien Hardelin wrote:

Hmpff. Ok: Under openSUSE all you have to is ...

I tried to make pdf-fr under Debian and failed. But after installing

texlive-tetex

it worked! (I did not yet try Norwegian pdf, though.) texlive-tetex seems to be necessary for creating some fonts or so (I don't care, see /var/lib/texmf/web2c/xetex/...)

Bye, Ulf

Wer sich über die Bibel nicht empört, kennt sie nicht. Oder
ist zu feige oder innerlich zu unfrei, sich zu empören.
		-- Franz Buggle, "Denn sie wissen nicht,
		   was sie glauben."