RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

WGO Redesign Update

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

WGO Redesign Update Pat David 18 Sep 15:44
Pat David
2015-09-18 15:44:25 UTC (over 8 years ago)

WGO Redesign Update

Just a small update.

I've been busy IRL, and haven't had a chance to work on some things these past weeks. I'll be ramping back up shortly.

I incorporated some changes per Jakub from a couple of weeks ago (mostly the navigation header font and styling). I am still trying to sort out some font styling issues that is happening with some fonts, on some DE, in some browsers... . Thank you to everyone who took the time to look and report the problems to me! (ankh, drc, akk, and more).

## Tutorials The site is still not 100% transferred to the new infrastructure. The biggest slow-down at the moment is walking through each of the tutorials and translating them to Markdown with a few updates to various components (images now existing in the context of a element, captions, adding missing alt tags, etc). If anyone wants to stand up the environment and translate tutorials, I'm taking all patches! :)

## README Jakub also pointed out the need for a README file in the root of the site, which we don't have at the moment. I will take a stab at writing one shortly so others can now what the heck to do to get a build setup.

## Responsive/Mobile Styling I am in the process of styling the smaller screens navigation. I am thinking of something similar to what I did with https://pixls.us - that is, a floating icon to expand out a menu when requested on mobile only (I think the header navigation is fine for larger views). I am, of course, open to feedback or suggestions on this idea.

## Downloads Page / OS detection I have the platform detection working (I think?) on the downloads page right now. All that's left is to style the sections appropriately based on the detected OS. I am aiming for a similar response to what the current download page does, show appropriate download section, plus options for viewing others. If no js is available, default to showing all of the options.

## RSS Feeds
I haven't tested this yet at all. I have no reason to suspect that they _won't_ work, but won't know for sure until I sit down and get started working on it.

## OpenGraph/Schema.org I also have not modified the templates to contain opengraph/schema.org microdata formats for parsing by those fancy-schmancy social websites and others. This is also something that I don't expect will be a problem (and is not something visible to normal site consumers anyway). It's also low on my priority list, atm.

That's about where we are at. We do have William Green who has offered to help out, and I think that we could be ready to go before too long.

Is there any thoughts on a go-live/release schedule? Is this something that everyone wants to coincide with a bigger event? If someone is thinking of anything along these lines that may constrain the schedule, let me know and I'll try to devote more resources (or find and bribe them) to it.