RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. 21 Jun 19:08
  Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Gez 21 Jun 20:42
   Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP C R 21 Jun 21:13
    Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. 21 Jun 21:34
   Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. 21 Jun 21:29
    Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Gez 22 Jun 00:57
     Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. 22 Jun 03:29
      Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Bill Skaggs 22 Jun 12:42
       Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP C R 22 Jun 22:23
        Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Andrew Pullins 23 Jun 02:04
         Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP C R 23 Jun 06:09
         Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Michael Schumacher 23 Jun 18:15
          Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP C R 23 Jun 19:15
           Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP Andrew Pullins 24 Jun 12:58
            Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP C R 25 Jun 13:44
     Due diligence: Permission for usage of GIMP C R 22 Jun 07:44
Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
2015-06-21 19:08:21 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Hello,

I'm not sure who to exactly send this to, but I represent Iron Rook Computing, LLC. In the coming months, we will be releasing a product that utilizes some of your software. As due diligence, I must officially ask for permission to mention the usage of your software, link to your websites, and use images that show your software in action. We would use these permissions in the following ways:

* In our promotional material (written, digital, or otherwise) * In our customer support & troubleshooting systems * In any instance which such usage would be required to help users accomplish their task
* In any instance which such usage would be required for our employees to their task

It's unfortunate that these things have to be done, sometimes, to cover our tails. I'm not sure who's actually in charge, so I'd appreciate you're help in getting over this hurdle.

Regards,

Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
Iron Rook Computing, LLC
Member/Owner
Gez
2015-06-21 20:42:45 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

El dom, 21-06-2015 a las 14:08 -0500, Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. escribió:

Hello,

I'm not sure who to exactly send this to, but I represent Iron Rook Computing, LLC. In the coming months, we will be releasing a product that utilizes some of your software. As due diligence, I must officially ask for permission to mention the usage of your software, link to your websites, and use images that show your software in action. We would use these permissions in the following ways:

* In our promotional material (written, digital, or otherwise) * In our customer support & troubleshooting systems * In any instance which such usage would be required to help users accomplish their task
* In any instance which such usage would be required for our employees to their task

It's unfortunate that these things have to be done, sometimes, to cover our tails. I'm not sure who's actually in charge, so I'd appreciate you're help in getting over this hurdle.

Apollo:
The license of GIMP (GPL) allows you to use GIMP for any purpose, so if your question is regarding usage of GIMP, you have absolutely no restrictions about how to use it and you don't have to ask permission to use it.
The only restriction that applies is regarding code: as you have the source code of GIMP available and you're free to study it and even modify it, if your make your own modifications and plan to redistribute them you're obligued to distribute the modified code along with the executable.

If you're not planning to make any modifications to the code, you don't have to worry or ask for permission.

Gez

C R
2015-06-21 21:13:12 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Although permission is not needed, I'd love to hear more about the project and how GIMP will be used in it. I'm always interested in seeing what companies use GIMP for.

-C
On 21 Jun 2015 9:44 pm, "Gez" wrote:

El dom, 21-06-2015 a las 14:08 -0500, Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. escribió:

Hello,

Apollo:
The license of GIMP (GPL) allows you to use GIMP for any purpose, so if your question is regarding usage of GIMP, you have absolutely no restrictions about how to use it and you don't have to ask permission to use it.
The only restriction that applies is regarding code: as you have the source code of GIMP available and you're free to study it and even modify it, if your make your own modifications and plan to redistribute them you're obligued to distribute the modified code along with the executable.

If you're not planning to make any modifications to the code, you don't have to worry or ask for permission.

Gez

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
2015-06-21 21:29:37 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 6/21/2015 3:42 PM, Gez wrote:

Apollo: The license of GIMP (GPL) allows you to use GIMP for any purpose, so if your question is regarding usage of GIMP, you have absolutely no restrictions about how to use it and you don't have to ask permission to use it. The only restriction that applies is regarding code: as you have the source code of GIMP available and you're free to study it and even modify it, if your make your own modifications and plan to redistribute them you're obligued to distribute the modified code along with the executable. If you're not planning to make any modifications to the code, you don't have to worry or ask for permission. Gez

Gez,

Thank you for your reply. My question isn't really about using the actual program itself or anything dealing with the code. My question really is about permission to use screenshots from the program, linking back to your homepage, & linking back to your help page assets. I'm asking for permission to reference your web assets from our website.

Regards,

Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
Iron Rook Computing, LLC
Member/Owner
Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
2015-06-21 21:34:55 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 6/21/2015 4:13 PM, C R wrote:

Although permission is not needed, I'd love to hear more about the project and how GIMP will be used in it. I'm always interested in seeing what companies use GIMP for.

C,

Thanks for your reply. We will not be specifically using GIMP in any major capacity, ourselves. Instead, we may be promoting the use of GIMP on our platform. We are primarily a computer hardware company. Within the next few months, we will start shipping a system running PC-BSD. We're compiling lists of popular open source software that can compete with (or beat out) the well known proprietary packages that're the current standards in the Windows world. We plan on advocating the usage of them on our platform.

Regards,

Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
Iron Rook Computing, LLC
Member/Owner
Gez
2015-06-22 00:57:03 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

El dom, 21-06-2015 a las 16:29 -0500, Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. escribió:

Gez,

Thank you for your reply. My question isn't really about using the actual program itself or anything dealing with the code. My question really is about permission to use screenshots from the program, linking
back to your homepage, & linking back to your help page assets. I'm asking for permission to reference your web assets from our website.

I don't think that requires permission. Using application screenshots is a fair use (as long as they don't depict anything objectionable or illegal, I think). Linking back to the official site gimp.org is a good thing too, you're sending your users to the place where the actual project lives and where its official docs can be found.

As C R just said, I'm also curious about the details of your project. Just out of curiosity :-)

Gez.

Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
2015-06-22 03:29:16 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 6/21/2015 7:57 PM, Gez wrote:

I don't think that requires permission. Using application screenshots is a fair use (as long as they don't depict anything objectionable or illegal, I think). Linking back to the official site gimp.org is a good thing too, you're sending your users to the place where the actual project lives and where its official docs can be found.

As C R just said, I'm also curious about the details of your project. Just out of curiosity :-)

I didn't think that it'd be a problem, however, companies can never be too careful. We are primarily a high performance computer hardware company. We're trying to push PC-BSD, in an effort to show that the BSDs aren't second or third class systems & can perform as well as any other system...or better! At this point, the Linux users have their venues for consumer hardware. The major players have experiemented with it & then there're companies like System 76 out there. Now, PC-BSD has a systems ally for consumer. Powerful enough for a system's admin, but comfortable enough for your parents!

Regards,

Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr.
Iron Rook Computing, LLC
Member/Owner
C R
2015-06-22 07:44:38 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Do we presently have a press-kit or branding repository for GIMP? If not, I suggest we make one for this purpose.

I have some materials I've made over the years and would be happy to include those in it for public use in publicity campaigns like the one our friend here is running.

For example, I made a vector version of the latest GIMP logo, and a 3D software box.

The alternative is to have people google image search and scrounge up whatever they can find (and they might find the wrong thing, like the developer wiki Wilbur with the helmet). I say, let's provide them with a set of high quality materials for GIMP publicity campaigns.

Thoughts? On 22 Jun 2015 1:59 am, "Gez" wrote:

El dom, 21-06-2015 a las 16:29 -0500, Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. escribió:

Gez,

Thank you for your reply. My question isn't really about using the actual program itself or anything dealing with the code. My question really is about permission to use screenshots from the program, linking
back to your homepage, & linking back to your help page assets. I'm asking for permission to reference your web assets from our website.

Gez. _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Bill Skaggs
2015-06-22 12:42:26 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Actually there is nobody who has the right to give special permission. The GIMP software and manual are both released under very specific copyright conditions. The GIMP web site is copyrighted by "The GIMP Team". The members of the team are listed at http://www.gimp.org/team.html, but there is no statement that any particular person has the right to release the material under altered conditions. In short, the licenses and copyright law give you certain rights, and nobody in the GIMP project has the power to alter those rights.

Bill

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. < adsharpesr@ironrookcomputing.com> wrote:

I didn't think that it'd be a problem, however, companies can never be too careful. We are primarily a high performance computer hardware company. We're trying to push PC-BSD, in an effort to show that the BSDs aren't second or third class systems & can perform as well as any other system...or better! At this point, the Linux users have their venues for consumer hardware. The major players have experiemented with it & then there're companies like System 76 out there. Now, PC-BSD has a systems ally for consumer. Powerful enough for a system's admin, but comfortable enough for your parents!

--
Regards,

Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. Iron Rook Computing, LLC
Member/Owner

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

C R
2015-06-22 22:23:01 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

All the more reason to offer a press kit of materials that are clearly okay for people and companies to use to promote GIMP. It's ambiguous otherwise because while the GIMP software is copyleft, the branding and materials may not be, and it's a pain for companies to pick out what's okay to use, and for what purpose. We need to make that clear. I'll submit a patch for a press kit section of the website in the coming week and we can gather opinions from the GIMP team about what to include and exclude. This is free and important advertising for the project. We should make it easy to share and promote GIMP as a tool for everyone to enjoy for business and personal use.
On 22 Jun 2015 1:42 pm, "Bill Skaggs" wrote:

Actually there is nobody who has the right to give special permission. The GIMP software and manual are both released under very specific copyright conditions. The GIMP web site is copyrighted by "The GIMP Team". The members of the team are listed at http://www.gimp.org/team.html, but there is no statement that any particular person has the right to release the material under altered conditions. In short, the licenses and copyright law give you certain rights, and nobody in the GIMP project has the power to alter those rights.

Bill

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Apollo D. Sharpe, Sr. < adsharpesr@ironrookcomputing.com> wrote:

I didn't think that it'd be a problem, however, companies can never be

too

careful. We are primarily a high performance computer hardware company. We're trying to push PC-BSD, in an effort to show that the BSDs aren't second or third class systems & can perform as well as any other system...or better! At this point, the Linux users have their venues for consumer hardware. The major players have experiemented with it & then there're companies like System 76 out there. Now, PC-BSD has a systems

ally

for consumer. Powerful enough for a system's admin, but comfortable

enough

for your parents!

--
Regards,

Member/Owner

Andrew Pullins
2015-06-23 02:04:55 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Over in the LibreOffice project the design and marketing team made the LibreOffice Branding Guidelines [1]. It goes over everything from what the official spelling of the name, acceptable abbreviations, how the logo is to look with exact measurements, what colors are to be used with it, and the official fonts. I think this would be a great starting point for creating a design document.

When I was creating my Flat GIMP Icon Theme I wanted to get the orange to be as close to what I call GIMP orange as I could. The first go around I just color picked the sites header, but in the second I actually looked through the CSS and got the hex color code. I think that it would be very beneficial to release a document like this so that people know how to best advertise GIMP while keeping to its branding. Some People still call it The GIMP out of habit.

[1]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding

-- Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM, C R wrote:

All the more reason to offer a press kit of materials that are clearly okay for people and companies to use to promote GIMP. It's ambiguous otherwise because while the GIMP software is copyleft, the branding and materials may not be, and it's a pain for companies to pick out what's okay to use, and for what purpose. We need to make that clear. I'll submit a patch for a press kit section of the website in the coming week and we can gather opinions from the GIMP team about what to include and exclude. This is free and important advertising for the project. We should make it easy to share and promote GIMP as a tool for everyone to enjoy for business and personal use.

Actually there is nobody who has the right to give special permission.

The

GIMP software and manual are both released under very specific copyright conditions. The GIMP web site is copyrighted by "The GIMP Team". The members of the team are listed at http://www.gimp.org/team.html, but

there

is no statement that any particular person has the right to release the material under altered conditions. In short, the licenses and copyright law give you certain rights, and nobody in the GIMP project has the power to alter those rights.

Bill

I don't think that requires permission. Using application screenshots is a fair use (as long as they don't depict anything objectionable or illegal, I think). Linking back to

the

official site gimp.org is a good thing too, you're sending your users to the place where the actual project lives and where its official

docs

can be found.

too

careful. We are primarily a high performance computer hardware company. We're trying to push PC-BSD, in an effort to show that the BSDs aren't second or third class systems & can perform as well as any other system...or better! At this point, the Linux users have their venues

for

consumer hardware. The major players have experiemented with it & then there're companies like System 76 out there. Now, PC-BSD has a systems

ally

enough

for your parents!

--
Regards,

Member/Owner

C R
2015-06-23 06:09:49 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Yes, this is precisely what I have in mind. I will use my own materials as a start, then we can sub in official ones later (if they indeed exist). Additionally, we can make a repository of the construction files used so (when/if) we decide to rebrand/recolour later, it will be a simple matter to update the brand guidelines. Thanks for the link, Andrew. On 23 Jun 2015 3:05 am, "Andrew Pullins" wrote:

Over in the LibreOffice project the design and marketing team made the LibreOffice Branding Guidelines [1]. It goes over everything from what the official spelling of the name, acceptable abbreviations, how the logo is to look with exact measurements, what colors are to be used with it, and the official fonts. I think this would be a great starting point for creating a design document.

When I was creating my Flat GIMP Icon Theme I wanted to get the orange to be as close to what I call GIMP orange as I could. The first go around I just color picked the sites header, but in the second I actually looked through the CSS and got the hex color code. I think that it would be very beneficial to release a document like this so that people know how to best advertise GIMP while keeping to its branding. Some People still call it The GIMP out of habit.

[1]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding

-- Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM, C R wrote:

All the more reason to offer a press kit of materials that are clearly okay
for people and companies to use to promote GIMP. It's ambiguous otherwise because while the GIMP software is copyleft, the branding and materials may
not be, and it's a pain for companies to pick out what's okay to use, and for what purpose. We need to make that clear. I'll submit a patch for a press kit section of the website in the coming week and we can gather opinions from the GIMP team about what to include and exclude. This is free
and important advertising for the project. We should make it easy to share and promote GIMP as a tool for everyone to enjoy for business and personal use.

Actually there is nobody who has the right to give special permission.

The

GIMP software and manual are both released under very specific copyright conditions. The GIMP web site is copyrighted by "The GIMP Team". The members of the team are listed at http://www.gimp.org/team.html, but

there

is no statement that any particular person has the right to release the material under altered conditions. In short, the licenses and copyright law give you certain rights, and nobody in the GIMP project has the

power

to alter those rights.

Bill

I don't think that requires permission. Using application screenshots is a fair use (as long as they don't depict anything objectionable or illegal, I think). Linking back to

the

official site gimp.org is a good thing too, you're sending your

users

to the place where the actual project lives and where its official

docs

can be found.

too

careful. We are primarily a high performance computer hardware

company.

We're trying to push PC-BSD, in an effort to show that the BSDs aren't second or third class systems & can perform as well as any other system...or better! At this point, the Linux users have their venues

for

consumer hardware. The major players have experiemented with it & then there're companies like System 76 out there. Now, PC-BSD has a systems

ally

enough

for your parents!

--
Regards,

Member/Owner

Michael Schumacher
2015-06-23 18:15:33 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 06/23/2015 04:04 AM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

Some people already mistake gimpforums.com for an official resource because it resembles the www.gimp.org site rather closely.

I really wouldn't like to encourage or dictate that any site should use the same colors, fonts and measurements.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
C R
2015-06-23 19:15:26 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Branding guidelines are as much about what NOT to do as it is what to do. Notice that official project usage and regular public usage are different sections of the design document for Libre Office. It's beneficial to separate projects associated with GIMP development from other sub-sections that may or may not be affiliated with GIMP.

Thus, it's not a dictation of what to do to copy the GIMP project website, but rather preserve the brand so it is not diluded by, say 1000 different wilbur fan art graphics, which is what you see when you do a Google image search for "GIMP logo". I think there's benefit in providing some official graphics and pre-made banners for things that link back to the official GIMP website, and special versions of the graphic for things tied directly to the GIMP project, and other graphics for general public use to spread awareness of GIMP.

Thoughts?

It's a good deal of work though, so if people aren't on board with it, please do let me know now. :)

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Over in the LibreOffice project the design and marketing team made the LibreOffice Branding Guidelines [1]. It goes over everything from

what

the official spelling of the name, acceptable abbreviations, how the logo is to look with exact measurements, what colors are to be used with it,

and

the official fonts. I think this would be a great starting point for creating a design document.

Some people already mistake gimpforums.com for an official resource because it resembles the www.gimp.org site rather closely.

I really wouldn't like to encourage or dictate that any site should use the same colors, fonts and measurements.

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

Andrew Pullins
2015-06-24 12:58:23 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

I definitely think this is a good idea. clarification on how you may use the GIMP brand will help with the confusion.

Should a new email thread be started though, so we can talk about GIMP Branding Guidelines?

--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM, C R wrote:

Branding guidelines are as much about what NOT to do as it is what to do. Notice that official project usage and regular public usage are different sections of the design document for Libre Office. It's beneficial to separate projects associated with GIMP development from other sub-sections that may or may not be affiliated with GIMP.

Thus, it's not a dictation of what to do to copy the GIMP project website, but rather preserve the brand so it is not diluded by, say 1000 different wilbur fan art graphics, which is what you see when you do a Google image search for "GIMP logo". I think there's benefit in providing some official graphics and pre-made banners for things that link back to the official GIMP website, and special versions of the graphic for things tied directly to the GIMP project, and other graphics for general public use to spread awareness of GIMP.

Thoughts?

It's a good deal of work though, so if people aren't on board with it, please do let me know now. :)

Over in the LibreOffice project the design and marketing team made the LibreOffice Branding Guidelines [1]. It goes over everything from

what

the official spelling of the name, acceptable abbreviations, how the

logo

is to look with exact measurements, what colors are to be used with it,

and

the official fonts. I think this would be a great starting point for creating a design document.

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

C R
2015-06-25 13:44:00 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

New email thread about branding? Sure. I'll start that one.

Cheers. -C

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

I definitely think this is a good idea. clarification on how you may use the GIMP brand will help with the confusion.

Should a new email thread be started though, so we can talk about GIMP Branding Guidelines?

--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM, C R wrote:

Thoughts?

what

the official spelling of the name, acceptable abbreviations, how the

logo

is to look with exact measurements, what colors are to be used with

it,

and

-- Regards,
Michael