RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Download

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Download Avishai Noygershel 14 Jun 06:31
  Download Daniel Hauck 14 Jun 11:09
   Download Michael Schumacher 14 Jun 11:58
  Download Liam R. E. Quin 15 Jun 18:22
   Download Marco Ciampa 15 Jun 19:31
    Download Michael Schumacher 15 Jun 19:57
   Download Toby Speight 16 Jun 08:33
    Download Liam R. E. Quin 17 Jun 00:51
  Download C R 15 Jun 20:30
   Download Avishai Noygershel 16 Jun 12:12
Avishai Noygershel
2015-06-14 06:31:16 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

Hello

I have a question regarding your software license agreement.

I was wondering if your software is completely free? Can I use this software for free in a profitable organization? Thank you in advance for your replay.

Avishai

Q Please consider the environment before printing this email אנא חשוב על הסביבה לפני הדפסת דואר זה

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Daniel Hauck
2015-06-14 11:09:35 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

Simple answer: YES

I could go on and on about the twisted nature of copyright and patent protection for software but I won't. I believe both are completely inappropriate where software is concerned. People think it is "normal" but that's because of people like Bill Gates and the rest of the "money for nothing" crowd.

Go on and build your business and keep as much of the fruits of your labor as you possibly can.

(Also, see the various forms of the GPL for legal reference)

On 06/14/2015 02:31 AM, Avishai Noygershel wrote:

Hello

I was wondering if your software is completely free? Can I use this software for free in a profitable organization? Thank you in advance for your replay.

Avishai

Q Please consider the environment before printing this email אנא חשוב על הסביבה לפני הדפסת דואר זה

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System. _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Michael Schumacher
2015-06-14 11:58:27 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

On 06/14/2015 01:09 PM, Daniel Hauck wrote:

I could go on and on about the twisted nature of copyright

(Also, see the various forms of the GPL for legal reference)

You do realize that copyright is what makes the GPL useful as a license, right?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Liam R. E. Quin
2015-06-15 18:22:21 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

On Sun, 2015-06-14 at 06:31 +0000, Avishai Noygershel wrote:

Hello

I was wondering if your software is completely free? Can I use this software for free in a profitable organization?

Yes. Free here means that if you modify the software you must make your modifications (or the whole modified source) available to anyone who wants them, and that anyone can access and/or modify the source.

Liam

Thank you in advance for your replay.

Avishai

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System. _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-listList archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Marco Ciampa
2015-06-15 19:31:29 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 02:22:21PM -0400, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

On Sun, 2015-06-14 at 06:31 +0000, Avishai Noygershel wrote:

Hello

I was wondering if your software is completely free? Can I use this software for free in a profitable organization?

Yes. Free here means that if you modify the software you must make your modifications (or the whole modified source) available to anyone who wants them, and that anyone can access and/or modify the source.

Please do try to tell the truth. Free does not mean that if you modify the software you must make your modifications (or the whole modified source) available to anyone.

This is simpy untrue. Just if you want to _distribute_ your modifications you have to comply with the licence.

You are always free to make _any_ change you want.

bye

--

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

+------------------------+ | GNU/Linux User #78271 |
| FSFE fellow #364 |
+------------------------+

Michael Schumacher
2015-06-15 19:57:54 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

On 06/15/2015 09:31 PM, Marco Ciampa wrote:

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 02:22:21PM -0400, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

Please do try to tell the truth. Free does not mean that if you modify the software you must make your modifications (or the whole modified source) available to anyone.

Please link to the definition of Free Software, the introduction to the GNU licenses and the Frequently Asked Questions for the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL):

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

Together, and IMO in that order, these documents explain the purpose and features of Free Software and the GNU GPL, and also go into the interesting "but what about...?" questions that anyone who is new (or not so new) to this might have.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
C R
2015-06-15 20:30:31 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

Assuming this question is about if the GIMP software can be used to produce commercial content:
The answer to that is also yes.
GIMP is made available to everyone, for commercial or private use to produce graphics for commercial or private use.

To clarify: 1.The graphics you make with GIMP are your own work, and you retain all rights to that work under the intellectual property rights laws of your country/region/company.
2.The use of GIMP does not alter your rights to your work, or the rights of any others to their work (so if you copy something under copyright off the internet and edit in GIMP, you would still need the permission of the original artist to use the graphics you downloaded).

In GIMP, please go to: Help > About > Licence, and you will find this message in the second paragraph:

GIMP is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public Licence for more details.

What that means is that the GIMP is made by the community to be useful to everyone for commercial or private use, but there is no warranty on the software its self, nor is there a guarantee that it is fit for whatever you are using it for.

That said, I've been using GIMP professionally for about 8 years now, for tens of thousands of commercial products, and every aspect of design from product concepts, to edits, to photography of the finished products, and commercial advertisements, branding, billboards, magazine adverts, package design, etc.

In my humble opinion, it's simply an awesome and indispensable tool for commercial design work. (Check out Inkscape.org for an Open Source vector editor as well)

GIMP can also be installed on as many machines as you want, with no license fees.

Note: I get this question a lot. To the devs, I propose we add the answer to the FAQ (though probably a shortened form, with less of me gushing about how good GIMP is for commercial use. ;) )

-C

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Avishai Noygershel wrote:

Hello

Avishai

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System. _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Toby Speight
2015-06-16 08:33:48 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

0> In article ,
0> Liam R. E. Quin ("Lee") wrote:

Lee> Free here means that if you modify the software you must make your Lee> modifications (or the whole modified source) available to anyone who Lee> wants them, and that anyone can access and/or modify the source.

A pedantic note: you are not *obliged* to make your changes available *unless* you *distribute* the changed version (i.e. you are permitted to modify and use the modified program). If you do choose to make your changes available to others, you must provide the source, so as to extend the same freedoms to them.

To clarify for the original poster - you are permitted to *use* GIMP for any purpose, and you are permitted to modify it for your own use without restriction. If you want to redistribute the program to others, please read the licence terms carefully.

Avishai Noygershel
2015-06-16 12:12:58 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

Thank you guys !

That was a quick answer ☺

Avishai.

From: C R [mailto:cajhne@gmail.com] Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 11:31 PM To: Avishai Noygershel; gimp-developer-list@gnome.org; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Download

Assuming this question is about if the GIMP software can be used to produce commercial content: The answer to that is also yes.
GIMP is made available to everyone, for commercial or private use to produce graphics for commercial or private use.

To clarify: 1.The graphics you make with GIMP are your own work, and you retain all rights to that work under the intellectual property rights laws of your country/region/company. 2.The use of GIMP does not alter your rights to your work, or the rights of any others to their work (so if you copy something under copyright off the internet and edit in GIMP, you would still need the permission of the original artist to use the graphics you downloaded).

In GIMP, please go to: Help > About > Licence, and you will find this message in the second paragraph:

GIMP is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public Licence for more details.

What that means is that the GIMP is made by the community to be useful to everyone for commercial or private use, but there is no warranty on the software its self, nor is there a guarantee that it is fit for whatever you are using it for.

That said, I've been using GIMP professionally for about 8 years now, for tens of thousands of commercial products, and every aspect of design from product concepts, to edits, to photography of the finished products, and commercial advertisements, branding, billboards, magazine adverts, package design, etc.

In my humble opinion, it's simply an awesome and indispensable tool for commercial design work. (Check out Inkscape.org for an Open Source vector editor as well)

GIMP can also be installed on as many machines as you want, with no license fees.

Note: I get this question a lot. To the devs, I propose we add the answer to the FAQ (though probably a shortened form, with less of me gushing about how good GIMP is for commercial use. ;) )

-C

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Avishai Noygershel > wrote: Hello

Avishai

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Liam R. E. Quin
2015-06-17 00:51:50 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Download

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 09:33 +0100, Toby Speight wrote:

0> In article ,
0> Liam R. E. Quin ("Lee") wrote:

Lee> Free here means that if you modify the software you must make your Lee> modifications (or the whole modified source) available to anyone who
Lee> wants them, and that anyone can access and/or modify the source.

A pedantic note: you are not *obliged* to make your changes available *unless* you *distribute* the changed version

Right, sorry for not being clear.