RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cropping border color

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cropping border color Brad Gibson 02 Jun 06:07
  Cropping border color Burnell West 02 Jun 15:50
   Cropping border color Ofnuts 03 Jun 19:09
    Cropping border color Liam R. E. Quin 03 Jun 23:34
     Cropping border color Brad Gibson 04 Sep 02:34
   Cropping border color Saul Goode 04 Jun 07:47
    Cropping border color Gez 04 Jun 19:51
Brad Gibson
2015-06-02 06:07:55 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Cropping border color

It would be great if I could choose to see pure black around whatever I'm cropping, because I make very meticulous crops of photos for artistic purposes, and I often have to crop and go back multiple times because it looks different in the final version with solid white/gray/black compared to transparent while I'm cropping. Or else, if it's easier, make it so that I can undo the finalization of the crop but go back to where I left the crop at. Thanks.Brad G.

Burnell West
2015-06-02 15:50:33 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Cropping border color

On Jun 1, 2015, at 11:07 PM, Brad Gibson wrote:

It would be great if I could choose to see pure black around whatever I'm cropping, because I make very meticulous crops of photos for artistic purposes, and I often have to crop and go back multiple times because it looks different in the final version with solid white/gray/black compared to transparent while I'm cropping. Or else, if it's easier, make it so that I can undo the finalization of the crop but go back to where I left the crop at. Thanks.Brad G.

Simply add a black layer and put it behind the image

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Ofnuts
2015-06-03 19:09:33 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Cropping border color

On 02/06/15 17:50, Burnell West wrote:

It would be great if I could choose to see pure black around whatever I'm cropping, because I make very meticulous crops of photos for artistic purposes, and I often have to crop and go back multiple times because it looks different in the final version with solid white/gray/black compared to transparent while I'm cropping. Or else, if it's easier, make it so that I can undo the finalization of the crop but go back to where I left the crop at. Thanks.Brad G.

Or Edit>Preferences>Display>Transparency>Check style>Black only

Liam R. E. Quin
2015-06-03 23:34:02 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Cropping border color

On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 21:09 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

On Jun 1, 2015, at 11:07 PM, Brad Gibson

wrote:

It would be great if I could choose to see pure black around whatever I'm cropping,

[...]

This doesn't work... it turns grey when you draw the crop tool rectangle.

Nether does this. It has no effect on the crop tool preview at all.

I had a look at editing the source to change the way the reduced- contrast area around the cropping rectangle is drawn -- a colour swatch on tool options for the crop tool would not be out of line, nor even an opacity slider, as on e.g. the Rotate tool. I found the place (I think) where the cairo outer rectangle is made, so maybe it's a case of adding a fill to that, and passing the colour (and opacity?) as arguments from the crop tool preview function, I'm not sure.

I've often wished for a way for Undo to go back to the exact state just before the operation, including e.g. the uncommitted selection that you could edit, the crop ectangle, the perspective grid. It would be clean-warm-dry-black-sock awesome.

Liam

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Saul Goode
2015-06-04 07:47:54 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Cropping border color

Are you willing to re-compile?

If you change the passe_partout color in app/display/gimpdisplayshell-style.c [1] to be { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0}, you should achieve the result you seek (though I have not tested this).

[1]

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/app/display/gimpdisplayshell-style.c?h=gimp-2-8#n73

Gez
2015-06-04 19:51:10 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Cropping border color

El jue, 04-06-2015 a las 07:47 +0000, Saul Goode escribió:

Are you willing to re-compile?

If you change the passe_partout color in app/display/gimpdisplayshell-style.c [1] to be { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0}, you should achieve the result you seek (though I have not tested this).

Making the color and opacity of the passepartout an option of the crop tool would be a nice feature. The quick mask already has that and it's really useful.

G.

Brad Gibson
2015-09-04 02:34:36 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Cropping border color

Hey guys, I found a workaround. I just use the rectangle select tool, click hide selection and layer boundary to remove distractions from the edges, and use crop to selection. I assigned a shortcut to this function, because I use that and undo consecutively. When I undo, all I have to do is click within the original selection, even though I can't see any lines, and the adjustable selection square re-appears as it used to be. It's a little slower, but perfect for those times when I have to fit a hard-to-crop picture into a certain standard ratio.

On Friday, June 5, 2015 12:41 AM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 21:09 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

On Jun 1, 2015, at 11:07 PM, Brad Gibson

wrote:

It would be great if I could choose to see pure black around whatever I'm cropping,

[...]

This doesn't work... it turns grey when you draw the crop tool rectangle.

Nether does this. It has no effect on the crop tool preview at all.

I had a look at editing the source to change the way the reduced- contrast area around the cropping rectangle is drawn -- a colour swatch on tool options for the crop tool would not be out of line, nor even an opacity slider, as on e.g. the Rotate tool. I found the place (I think) where the cairo outer rectangle is made, so maybe it's a case of adding a fill to that, and passing the colour (and opacity?) as arguments from the crop tool preview function, I'm not sure.

I've often wished for a way for Undo to go back to the exact state just before the operation, including e.g. the uncommitted selection that you could edit, the crop ectangle, the perspective grid. It would be clean-warm-dry-black-sock awesome.

Liam

List address:    gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives:  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list