RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

(gimp:23280): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: changing the number of threads to 16 failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Burlen Loring
2014-11-14 18:29:15 UTC (over 9 years ago)

(gimp:23280): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: changing the number of threads to 16 failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

Hi I'm having issues with gimp creating too many threads and crashing.

I'm running on a 10 physical core(20 w/ hyper threads) intel based system. I have 1000's of images to process and I use imp in batch mode with script-fu scripts to do so. I am launching a certain number of these in the back ground (eg 10) and waiting for them to finish then launching again until all of the images are processed. I've tried with varying number of processes, 2,3,5,8,10 etc invariably I get the error and crash eventually. Also when I run with small number and view the cpu load in top, I can see that it's not loaded, so apparently these threads aren't being used!

Is there a way to control the number of threads created per gimp instance? Is it possible that gimp is leaking threads somehow, eg why does 2 gimp instances run for a few hours then crash?

Thanks Burlen

output:

(gimp:23280): GLib-ERROR **: creating thread 'gdbus': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable /home/bloring/apps/SciGIMP/sh/sq-stereo-pack-tb.sh: line 25: 23280 Trace/breakpoint trap gimp -i -b "(sq-pack-stereo-tb \"$LEFT\" \"$RIGHT\" \"$OUT\" \"$HALF\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

(gimp:23310): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: changing the number of threads to 16 failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

(gimp:23322): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: changing the number of threads to 16 failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

(gimp:23322): GLib-ERROR **: creating thread 'gdbus': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable /home/bloring/apps/SciGIMP/sh/sq-stereo-pack-tb.sh: line 25: 23322 Trace/breakpoint trap gimp -i -b "(sq-pack-stereo-tb \"$LEFT\" \"$RIGHT\" \"$OUT\" \"$HALF\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)" .../pack-tb-half.sh: fork: retry: No child processes /home/bloring/apps/SciGIMP/sh/sq-stereo-pack-tb.sh: fork: retry: No child processes
batch command executed successfully
(gimp:23489): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: changing the number of threads to 16 failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable GIMP-Error: Unable to run plug-in "file-png" (/usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-png)

Failed to fork (Resource temporarily unavailable)

GIMP-Error: Calling error for procedure 'gimp-file-load-layer': Failed to run plug-in "file-png"

batch command experienced an execution error: Error: ( : 32522) Procedure execution of gimp-file-load-layer failed on invalid input arguments: Failed to run plug-in "file-png"

(gimp:23507): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: changing the number of threads to 16 failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

(gimp:23495): GLib-ERROR **: creating thread 'gdbus': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

(gimp:23471): GLib-ERROR **: creating thread 'gdbus': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable /home/bloring/apps/SciGIMP/sh/sq-stereo-pack-tb.sh: line 25: 23495 Trace/breakpoint trap gimp -i -b "(sq-pack-stereo-tb \"$LEFT\" \"$RIGHT\" \"$OUT\" \"$HALF\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)" /home/bloring/apps/SciGIMP/sh/sq-stereo-pack-tb.sh: line 25: 23471 Trace/breakpoint trap gimp -i -b "(sq-pack-stereo-tb \"$LEFT\" \"$RIGHT\" \"$OUT\" \"$HALF\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)" batch command executed successfully

(gimp:23507): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: thread creation failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

(gimp:23507): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: thread creation failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

(gimp:23507): Gimp-Base-WARNING **: thread creation failed: Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable GIMP-Error: Unable to run plug-in "file-png" (/usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-png)

GIMP-Error: Calling error for procedure 'gimp-file-save': Failed to run plug-in "file-png"

batch command experienced an execution error: Error: ( : 32567) Procedure execution of gimp-file-save failed: Failed to run plug-in "file-png"

GIMP-Error: Unable to run plug-in "file-png" (/usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-png)

GIMP-Error: Calling error for procedure 'gimp-file-save': Failed to run plug-in "file-png"

batch command experienced an execution error: Error: ( : 32542) Procedure execution of gimp-file-save failed: Failed to run plug-in "file-png"