RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Idea for a «colour-key» filter

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Idea for a «colour-key» filter Arran 26 Aug 12:07
  Idea for a «colour-key» filter Kevin Brubeck Unhammer 26 Aug 12:31
   Idea for a «colour-key» filter Arran 26 Aug 14:03
    Idea for a «colour-key» filter Ofnuts 26 Aug 14:59
2014-08-26 12:07:53 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Hello

I have a request:

Many of the new compact cameras have an interesting gadget included: A colour key filter. You choose one of six or so predefined colours and the result is then a black and white picture except everything in this colour. However, the colour is very narrowly defined. If you choose green, there is a medium green, much lighter or darker greens stay black/white. Furthermore everything in the choosen colour are coloured.

I am looking for a filter, doing exactly this, but where I can set the wideness of the colour range myself. Perhaps with a slider or a colour wheel on which the distance of the colour hues can be defined. It could be very good, to have perhaps four or five of these choices per picture. Also it should be possible to narrow the colour to just a certain part of the picture. Example: a housefront with 10 shutters, all in green. I want just one of these shutters keeping its green, all others have, like the rest of all colours, to be black and white.

Is there a possiblility to achieve this with present tools or is there interest from sombody to develop such a filter or a plug-in and include it into Gimp?
My email is bruno13@scotnet.co.uk, my name is Bruno, aka known as Arran in various forums.

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
2014-08-26 12:31:36 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Arran writes:

Hello

I have a request:

Many of the new compact cameras have an interesting gadget included: A colour key filter. You choose one of six or so predefined colours and the result is then a black and white picture except everything in this colour. However, the colour is very narrowly defined. If you choose green, there is a medium green, much lighter or darker greens stay black/white. Furthermore everything in the choosen colour are coloured.

Did you try the menu item Colours→Colourize?

[...]

Also it should be possible to
narrow the colour to just a certain part of the picture. Example: a housefront with 10 shutters, all in green. I want just one of these shutters keeping its green, all others have, like the rest of all colours, to be black and white.

Select the window that you want to have colour, invert the selection, click Colours→Desaturate.

Is there a possiblility to achieve this with present tools or is there interest from sombody to develop such a filter or a plug-in and include it into Gimp?

Pretty sure it's all built-in already ;-)

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C
2014-08-26 14:03:26 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply.

Arran writes:

Yes, I did. bit it is very tiresome, especially if one has 4 colour spots to keep. With one it worked well, at least that's a start. But making selections with the path tool is tiresome and I do not know hot to make several selections in one picture and give each one an other colour.

Or imagine in the hypothetical picture I cited, I would like all 10 window shutters in green, the rest in b/w, how would you do that?

Ofnuts
2014-08-26 14:59:52 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 26/08/14 16:03, Arran wrote:

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply.

Arran writes:

Yes, I did. bit it is very tiresome, especially if one has 4 colour spots to keep. With one it worked well, at least that's a start. But making selections with the path tool is tiresome and I do not know hot to make several selections in one picture and give each one an other colour.

Or imagine in the hypothetical picture I cited, I would like all 10 window shutters in green, the rest in b/w, how would you do that?

When you start a selection tool, you can shift-click (instead of plain click) to add the resulting selection to the current selection (instead of replacing it). You can also make several successive selection, saving them to a channel each time, and then combine them at the end

You can select the pixels with a given color using the color selector. You can also use that selection tool with specific selection criteria (Hue, Saturation, Value, specific RGB channel).