RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color Tools and Bump Map as Dockable Dialogs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color Tools and Bump Map as Dockable Dialogs Joseph Bupe 11 Jul 13:38
  Color Tools and Bump Map as Dockable Dialogs Alexandre Prokoudine 12 Jul 10:26
   Color Tools and Bump Map as Dockable Dialogs scl 12 Jul 11:16
  Color Tools and Bump Map as Dockable Dialogs Ofnuts 12 Jul 17:45
Joseph Bupe
2014-07-11 13:38:42 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Hello Developers,

IMHO, the Color Tools and Bump Map should be turned into dockable dialogs as a way of cleaning up/minimizing the number of po-up dialogs.

All color tools could appear under the same tab as icons and clicking the icon should display corresponding details underneath. Changing values/curves should automatically affect the image; therefore, eliminating the need to click the image in order to access a pop-up dialog. See attached mock-up.

Submitted for your consideration.

joseph

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-07-12 10:26:00 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Joseph Bupe wrote:

See the attached mock-up.

It's missing.

Alex

scl
2014-07-12 11:16:46 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

On 12.7.2014 at 12:26 PM Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Joseph Bupe wrote:

See the attached mock-up.

It's missing.

It's here:
http://gimpchat.com/download/file.php?id=14353&sid=8bb304f394a8db0eaa414f3a4e4def6d

BTW: this lets me wonder whether the UI brainstorm is still active or to be revived. I find it a good way to contribute UI ideas and it's still listed as a way to contribute to GIMP.

Kind regards, Sven

Ofnuts
2014-07-12 17:45:08 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

On 11/07/14 15:38, Joseph Bupe wrote:

Hello Developers,

IMHO, the Color Tools and Bump Map should be turned into dockable dialogs as a way of cleaning up/minimizing the number of po-up dialogs.

All color tools could appear under the same tab as icons and clicking the icon should display corresponding details underneath. Changing values/curves should automatically affect the image; therefore, eliminating the need to click the image in order to access a pop-up dialog. See attached mock-up.

For me the question is more why some tools have controls split between the Tool options and a floating dialog. I hardly see the logic to have a floating dialog to show me the Shear/Rotation/Scale parameters when the Rectangle/Ellipse/Crop tools use the Tool options to display equivalent information.

Clicking on the image is not meant to access the dialog, it actually starts the tool on a given image, the dialog is a side effect... (of course in single-window mode it's a bit less useful). The floating dialog could have a meaning if it were image-oriented, i.e. if there were one instance of the tool for each image. This also raise the question of why we have the Tool-centric view where you cannot have a two different tools active at the same time on two different images.