RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Elle Stone 27 Feb 13:43
  File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Michael Schumacher 27 Feb 14:04
   File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Elle Stone 27 Feb 14:52
    File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Karl-Heinz Zimmer 27 Feb 14:56
    File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Jonathan Crowe 27 Feb 15:03
     File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Elle Stone 27 Feb 15:21
      File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Elle Stone 27 Feb 16:55
       File name in status bar but not in window title bar - bug? Dominik Tabisz 27 Feb 21:07
Elle Stone
2014-02-27 13:43:26 UTC (about 10 years ago)

I set both the status bar and the window title bar to display the file path and name (%F). The file path and name is displayed on the status bar but the window title bar is blank, having just an icon of the image in the extreme left corner.

Upon starting GIMP (from git), before opening an image, the GIMP image window title bar does say "GNU Image Manipulation Program", so obviously it is possible to display text in the title bar. Also all my other programs do display text in the title bar.

I usually don't have the status bar visible for reasons of screeb real estate. Is the fact that the title bar remains blank a bug? a problem with the Icewm window manager (not likely as other programs do display text in the title bar)? a case of user error?

Michael Schumacher
2014-02-27 14:04:45 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Von: "Elle Stone"

I usually don't have the status bar visible for reasons of screeb real estate. Is the fact that the title bar remains blank a bug? a problem with the Icewm window manager (not likely as other programs do display text in the title bar)? a case of user error?

Maybe an encoding issue? Did you try a different WM?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Elle Stone
2014-02-27 14:52:31 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 02/27/2014 09:04 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Does anyone using a minimal window manager (or any other window manager) see text in the title bar? If so, which minimal window manager are you using? I "startx" at the command line, which starts IceWm because it's hard-coded in a config file (no *dm), so it would be nice to know which minimal window manager is worth trying.

All the other GIMP windows (Toolbox, Color Picker, etc) have titles in the title bar. In case I'm using the wrong terminology, by "title bar" I mean the strip across the top of the image window, which currently is empty except for the icons for minimizing, maximizing, and closing the window (on the extreme right), and a thumbnail of the image (on the extreme left).

Karl-Heinz Zimmer
2014-02-27 14:56:07 UTC (about 10 years ago)

I am using Xubuntun with the default xfwm and both, %f and %F are working.

2014-02-27 15:52 GMT+01:00 Elle Stone :

On 02/27/2014 09:04 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

I usually don't have the status bar visible for reasons of screeb real

estate. Is the fact that the title bar remains blank a bug? a problem with the Icewm window manager (not likely as other programs do display text in the title bar)? a case of user error?

Does anyone using a minimal window manager (or any other window manager) see text in the title bar? If so, which minimal window manager are you using? I "startx" at the command line, which starts IceWm because it's hard-coded in a config file (no *dm), so it would be nice to know which minimal window manager is worth trying.

All the other GIMP windows (Toolbox, Color Picker, etc) have titles in the title bar. In case I'm using the wrong terminology, by "title bar" I mean the strip across the top of the image window, which currently is empty except for the icons for minimizing, maximizing, and closing the window (on the extreme right), and a thumbnail of the image (on the extreme left).

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Jonathan Crowe
2014-02-27 15:03:31 UTC (about 10 years ago)

I'm using AwesomeWM. With Gimp 2.9.1 from git I see the image icon and text in the title bar in single-window mode and traditional mode, as well as the file name in the status bar. The text in the title bar includes the image name, mode, imported tag and image pixel dimensions. I use light dm if that has any relevance!

Jon.

Elle Stone
2014-02-27 15:21:40 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 02/27/2014 10:03 AM, Jonathan Crowe wrote:

I'm using AwesomeWM. With Gimp 2.9.1 from git I see the image icon and text in the title bar in single-window mode and traditional mode, as well as the file name in the status bar. The text in the title bar includes the image name, mode, imported tag and image pixel dimensions. I use light dm if that has any relevance!

Jon.

Thanks! I'll try AwesomeWM and see what happens.

Elle Stone
2014-02-27 16:55:49 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 02/27/2014 10:21 AM, Elle Stone wrote:

Jon.

Jonathan and Karl, thanks very much for letting me know that you can see text in the title bar. Knowing that other people could see text in the title bar was an incentive to find a solution.

Thinking back, I've never seen text in the GIMP image window title bar. Even in single window mode, there was no text in the title bar.

I upgraded IceWM to 1.3.8 and added the "nls" (native language support) use flag because of Michael Schumacher's suggestion of an encoding problem (not sure if nls is relevant to encoding or not).

Either upgrading or adding the nls flag did the trick and now the image window has the file name in the title bar.

Elle

Dominik Tabisz
2014-02-27 21:07:33 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi

Your problem with text in title bar in ICEwm might be either GIMP version issue or wrong configuration of ICEwm and Xorg. I use ICEwm by startx/xinit on laptop. All programs, including GIMP 2.6 display text in titlebar. On PC i use ICEwm, with KDM and GIMP 2.8 and i do have text in title bar. GIMP in KDE also displays text in titlebar.

My configuration is mostly done by Debian developers - i use packages from their repository. System encoding set to utf8. I used to have issues in other programs and ICEwm because of encoding. Whenever system, Xorg and software were not configured to the same encoding, ICEwm tend to behave "strange". (In my area one can expect iso8859-2, cp1250 and sometimes cp1251 & iso8859-1 - we use this characters and menus tend to miss either characters or whole items). NLS flag might be responsible for such problems afaik it deals with encoding too.

Hope You'll find what cause the problem. Good Luck

Dominik Tabisz

2014-02-27 17:55 GMT+01:00 Elle Stone :

On 02/27/2014 10:21 AM, Elle Stone wrote:

Jon.

Jonathan and Karl, thanks very much for letting me know that you can see text in the title bar. Knowing that other people could see text in the title bar was an incentive to find a solution.

Thinking back, I've never seen text in the GIMP image window title bar. Even in single window mode, there was no text in the title bar.

I upgraded IceWM to 1.3.8 and added the "nls" (native language support) use flag because of Michael Schumacher's suggestion of an encoding problem (not sure if nls is relevant to encoding or not).

Either upgrading or adding the nls flag did the trick and now the image window has the file name in the title bar.

Elle

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list